Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #1

Honeywell Spotmatic Light Meter Problem

Hi,

I just purchased the honeywell spotmatic online from a seller who says everything works fine and has even bought new batteries. I received and the light meter is acting really weirdly. The pin stays at the bottom despite me changing the shutter or the aperture, the pin does move up 1/4 way up but only if the shutter is at 1 or 2 secs. I bought a new battery, just in case, but the results were the same. Please let me know if anyone can help.

09-14-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe this thread will help:
How to Set the Pentax Spotmatic F Lightmeter - PentaxForums.com
09-14-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bit_film Quote
Hi,

I just purchased the honeywell spotmatic online from a seller who says everything works fine and has even bought new batteries. I received and the light meter is acting really weirdly. The pin stays at the bottom despite me changing the shutter or the aperture, the pin does move up 1/4 way up but only if the shutter is at 1 or 2 secs. I bought a new battery, just in case, but the results were the same. Please let me know if anyone can help.
Make sure the battery is the right way up by checking the cap for a + or - sign, otherwise experiment. What version Spotmatic do you have?
09-14-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What batteries do you have? These cameras are old enough that for mine, I look up the battery numbers every time, unless I have the old package to go from. The wrong batteries will cause all kinds of grief, and it’s easy to find some batteries that look right, fit right, but aren’t right
Also test them with a meter, almost-dead batteries are no fun either ��

09-14-2022, 06:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Make sure the battery is the right way up by checking the cap for a + or - sign, otherwise experiment. What version Spotmatic do you have?
I have the honeywell spotmatic, the batteries are the right way up. im just not sure if it's a battery problem or the light meter is actually broken
09-14-2022, 06:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
What batteries do you have? These cameras are old enough that for mine, I look up the battery numbers every time, unless I have the old package to go from. The wrong batteries will cause all kinds of grief, and it’s easy to find some batteries that look right, fit right, but aren’t right
Also test them with a meter, almost-dead batteries are no fun either ��
i bought the wein cell battery (1.35v) that is specifically for the spotmatic but it still doesnt work. im not sure if its a battery problem or not.
09-16-2022, 02:46 PM   #7

Some sellers interpret any movement of the needle in the viewfinder as a ‘working’ meter.
I suspect the Cds cell has lost its sensitivity. A good service technician should be able to get it working.

09-17-2022, 06:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the battery contacts clean? is the bottom tab high enough to touch the battery?
If both are yes, and you still have no response, you need to send the camera for srvice
09-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #9

The meter movement might be bad. A replacement can be found at USCamera. Instructions on how to adjust the meter for Spotmatics is on that page.

Service manuals for Spotmatics can be found online and may guide you through trouble-shooting and repair. Probably not for the faint hearted or camera repair novice.

Pentax 23704-J100 Meter Movement | K1000 Old | Spotmatic | USCameraUSCamera
09-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a Spotmatic F with the same symptoms. The meter was bad.

09-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bit_film Quote
I just purchased the honeywell spotmatic online from a seller who says everything works fine and has even bought new batteries..
You didn't mention which Spotmatic model it is, but if it's not an F or an ES, I believe you need to stop down the lens to get a meter reading -- did you do that? Also check the ISO dial... for testing a meter I usually set it to 1600 or 3200, that'll get a reaction from the meter indoors.

If the seller wasn't a "camera person" then it's possible they may have thought the camera was working but did not properly test the meter. (Good reason to keep those eBay descriptions as thin as possible...)

If the meter is indeed broken... if it was listed on eBay as "used" with the full description (including the words "fully functional"), that is the basis for a return at the seller's expense, even if the seller doesn't take returns. (It's an INAD -- Item Not As Described). I have been able to return cameras using this "out" even when the seller didn't take returns.

I don't (yet) own a Spotmatic so I don't know about the prospects for meter repair. I do know that a general CLA will cost around $100, give or take. If the camera is otherwise in good shape, it might be worth it to negotiate a partial refund and invest that in repair. If what you paid is comparable to Spotties that are advertised as having tested and working meters, it might be better off to return it and buy another camera.

I have found the best tool for buying on eBay is patience. Get a feel for prices, and sooner or later the right camera will come along at the right price.

HTH
Aaron