Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by owenhu Quote
I have just gotten a LX from ebay, and I have some questions as well. . . Thanks!
I suggest you review this thread:

QuoteQuote:
Sources for information about the LX, please add your knowledge to this thread
I recently acquired an LX from a forum member and I sought information and answers about the LX and here is what I have found -
Sources for information about the LX, please add your knowledge to this thread - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

you will find helpful information and links in it

10-07-2022, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wantfastcars Quote
Good idea on using my mirrorless to confirm metering - my camera has an APS-C sensor though, so in theory it should meter one stop lower at equivalent aperture and film speed (ISO), correct?
Not correct. If the ISO is the same and scene luminance (lighting) is the same, the exposure will be the same. In other words, if it's 1/60 sec @ f/16 @ 100 ISO/ASA on one camera, it'll be the same for any camera. External light meters don't know what size sensor/film you are using...

Aaron
10-08-2022, 12:49 AM   #18

Comparing the meter to another camera with a known reliable meter is not a bad idea, but don’t over analyse small differences. Differences can be caused by different meter patters, different T stops of lenses and different ISO calibrations for digital sensors. For the best chance of a consistent results point the camera to a completely blank wall that is evenly lit.
10-09-2022, 12:02 PM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wantfastcars Quote
Great info, thank you. I intend to stick a lens on it in the shop and test it out - if they don't want to let me do that, I'm gonna leave it. Good idea on using my mirrorless to confirm metering - my camera has an APS-C sensor though, so in theory it should meter one stop lower at equivalent aperture and film speed (ISO), correct?

I looked at the MX, but I'd really like a camera that has an Aperture Priority mode in addition to Manual. This has pointed me towards the K2 as well, which is also considerably cheaper, more reliably repairable, and is available in the delightful silver-on-black vintage camera coloration. Considering those factors, I am leaning slightly away from the LK.

Also good advice. The local big-box stores actually do film development, and should be able to do color negative film pretty quick. I'll see if they'll let me.
Aaron addressed metering with both the LX - or any other film camera, compared to your mirrorless provided of course the meter is working as expected.

I don't know what film types you use or if you are aware that most color negatives - as well as b&w film, have significantly wider tolerance for overexposure than any digital media. For instance, I tested Kodak Portra 400 and compared it to some of my digitals in RAW mode and you can see below that the digis are no longer useable at all past +3 while Portra just keeps going. In fact at +10, I am still able to post process it with minor tools like WB & levels to get useful results.

So general rule of thumb with color negatives is when in doubt, overexpose.

Or you can purposely do it to achieve an effect like I did below. It was daylight hours and come upon this scene but the water was barely trickling so it would have been pretty bland. The meter recommended 1/60 but I figure a 2 second exposure would do the trick and so I overexposed +7. Given that I've tested Fuji 100's exposure latitude beforehand, I was confident I could work with the results.

10-10-2022, 07:49 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found the LX to be a LOT of fun to shoot, just be prepared to always be paying for film or processing, even if you,process it yourself. That’s one of the main reason I went digital. Now I seem to always be paying for lenses or other gear …
10-11-2022, 08:07 AM   #21

As stated in earlier posts, the LX is the most advanced "Pro"camera body Pentax ever built. It does have maintenance issues that other lesser models do not. You indicated you did your research on Pentax K mount bodies. The ME Super is a very reliable and there's the venerable and widely sold K1000. These two bodies always seem to go on forever without any major issues. I too seek a LX eventually, but I am reluctant to pay the high prices without running a roll of film through it.
10-12-2022, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
The ME Super is a very reliable
ME Supers are not very reliable at all. The vast majority that I've come across have had either electronic or mechanical problems. I would only ever recommend an ME Super (or any M series camera bar the MX) if you can physically try it out before you buy.

10-16-2022, 06:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I agree that the ME Super can have problems too. Bought one from an auction and the mirror was stuck up. Another has a laggy shutter curtain. Of course these were not maintained so paying for a repair could help but that gets a lot more pricy.

---------- Post added 10-16-22 at 06:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Or you can purposely do it to achieve an effect like I did below. It was daylight hours and come upon this scene but the water was barely trickling so it would have been pretty bland. The meter recommended 1/60 but I figure a 2 second exposure would do the trick and so I overexposed +7. Given that I've tested Fuji 100's exposure latitude beforehand, I was confident I could work with the results.

That’s a great trick. Has no idea you could over expose to that extent and get such a great pic.
10-18-2022, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I agree that the ME Super can have problems too. Bought one from an auction and the mirror was stuck up. Another has a laggy shutter curtain. Of course these were not maintained so paying for a repair could help but that gets a lot more pricy.

---------- Post added 10-16-22 at 06:48 PM ----------

That’s a great trick. Has no idea you could over expose to that extent and get such a great pic.
Thanks!

This is the full test I did with this film.

11-13-2022, 11:46 PM - 5 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Welcome aboard and you couldn't have decided on a better film camera.

Put the LX on aperture priority mode, meter a scene that shows at least 1 second shutter speed and verify if the shutter stays open about that. Of course the LX may decide a little longer or shorter shutter speed which is normal. In fact, you can put the lens cap on, fire the shutter and the shutter will stay open until you uncover the lens and let sufficient light in. This will verify the electronics is functional. You can also compare the faster shutter speeds metering with your mirrorless for accuracy.
Of course it would be ideal to run a roll through it if you can. Ideally a money back guarantee would be great.

I've had both my LXs over 10 years now and both still work perfectly since acquired. First one from KEH with money back guarantee and the other off auction of unknown condition sold as-is for parts for cheap.
I just acquired an LX from KEH that was listed as EXEC. As usual that means nearly pristine. Not a mark on it...and they do have a money back guarantee. Put a quick test roll of Fujicolor200 through it using a Rikenon P 28-100mm Macro and the shots are simply great. Hopefully, it'll last a good while like yours.
11-14-2022, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
I just acquired an LX from KEH that was listed as EXEC. As usual that means nearly pristine. Not a mark on it...and they do have a money back guarantee. Put a quick test roll of Fujicolor200 through it using a Rikenon P 28-100mm Macro and the shots are simply great. Hopefully, it'll last a good while like yours.
Congratulations! My first LX also came from KEH and also rated EX. Good luck and good light!
11-30-2022, 08:26 PM - 4 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I finally gave in and bought an LX. I actually bought 2...first on was $265 including shipping and tax from Japan and it had slow speed issues so I returned it. The seller (Sakura_Camera) claimed it was damaged in transit back and only refunded me 50%. I had to get eBay involved to get the full refund. The second attempt, another from Japan, was described as Mint-... Not even close, Maybe an 8/10. The ISO selector was dinged and someone reassembled it wrong. I had to take it apart and reassemble correctly. The body had paint TouchUp spots not noticeable in the pictures. Mechanically it's sound and everything seems to work so I decided to keep it. I paid $360 which included shipping and tax. I had the motor as a leftover from a purchase where I got the battery grip M. I have the LX battery which I rebuilt with NiMH batteries purchased with the motor MD for my K2dmd. I figured I had a motor with a good battery so I might as well get the LX. Maybe someday I'll find a truely mint condition one and sell this one.

12-01-2022, 12:06 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I finally gave in and bought an LX. I actually bought 2...first on was $265 including shipping and tax from Japan and it had slow speed issues so I returned it. The seller (Sakura_Camera) claimed it was damaged in transit back and only refunded me 50%. I had to get eBay involved to get the full refund. The second attempt, another from Japan, was described as Mint-... Not even close, Maybe an 8/10. The ISO selector was dinged and someone reassembled it wrong. I had to take it apart and reassemble correctly. The body had paint TouchUp spots not noticeable in the pictures. Mechanically it's sound and everything seems to work so I decided to keep it. I paid $360 which included shipping and tax. I had the motor as a leftover from a purchase where I got the battery grip M. I have the LX battery which I rebuilt with NiMH batteries purchased with the motor MD for my K2dmd. I figured I had a motor with a good battery so I might as well get the LX. Maybe someday I'll find a truely mint condition one and sell this one.
Japaneses ebay sellers seem to be generous with the ‘Mint description’. I don’t think they fully understand the english meaning of this word. I usually ignore the written description and look for detailed photographs and a seller with 100% rating.

I think an LX from Japan is a risky proposition. There are too many possible issues with these old cameras now. I would only buy one from a local camera dealer with a return policy.
12-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote
Japaneses ebay sellers seem to be generous with the ‘Mint description’. I don’t think they fully understand the english meaning of this word. I usually ignore the written description and look for detailed photographs and a seller with 100% rating.

I think an LX from Japan is a risky proposition. There are too many possible issues with these old cameras now. I would only buy one from a local camera dealer with a return policy.
I totally agree. It seems almost every Japanese camera seller claims their camera is in "Mint" condition. And they can even be Super Minty. Like Mint +++++++. I mean...WTH?
12-01-2022, 06:16 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote

I agree also. Previously I've had good luck with Japanese retailers...I got a Bronica EC with 3 lenses and a Pentax 645 with 3 lenses...both were under $600 and were better than described. Also I've purchased a couple of Nikon F4's that were properly described. I think it depends on the seller, just like anywhere else. But for the LX, if I were to get another it would be from a reputable US seller and I'd be willing to pay the higher price for a truely mint one. Unfortunately I don't have any camera shops around me anymore except one that does have used cameras, but is strictly Nikon.