Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PZ-1 Grip Quick Release

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I couldn't find an answer to this so...
The Z-1/PZ-1 and p variants have an extender grip and the grip has a quick release plate for a tripod. Is this for a Manfrotto tripod? Are there multiple standards for plate type tripod quick releases. I have a Slik tripod and they use a screw in post for quick release but it does require screwing the post into the camera.

10-24-2022, 06:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I couldn't find an answer to this so...
The Z-1/PZ-1 and p variants have an extender grip and the grip has a quick release plate for a tripod. Is this for a Manfrotto tripod? Are there multiple standards for plate type tripod quick releases. I have a Slik tripod and they use a screw in post for quick release but it does require screwing the post into the camera.
I own one of those grips. They don’t have any quick release built in. They have simply a 1/4 inch tripod socket metal insert in the overall plastic - unless there’s a completely different grip I’m unaware of.
10-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This shows the bottom well.

Pentax FD grip w/strap for Z-1 - PentaxForums.com

While it looks similar to arca swiss in the images, that’s an optical illusion. The bevels are plastic and are outside the diameter of the metal. They don’t provide any grip surfaces.
10-25-2022, 01:31 AM   #4

Blog with photos of grip:
https://simonhawketts.co.uk/2015/09/08/pentax-z-1-pro-35mm-slr/

10-25-2022, 04:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I own one of those grips. They don’t have any quick release built in. They have simply a 1/4 inch tripod socket metal insert in the overall plastic - unless there’s a completely different grip I’m unaware of.
The OEM grip/extension has a silver metal plate on the bottom and there are edges on each side similar to a Manfrotto quick release plate. I'm 99% sure that plate is designed for a quick release system...maybe it's Pentax proprietary?

10-25-2022, 05:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The OEM grip/extension has a silver metal plate on the bottom and there are edges on each side similar to a Manfrotto quick release plate. I'm 99% sure that plate is designed for a quick release system...maybe it's Pentax proprietary?
When you posted I went and found pictures since my grip wasn’t with me at the time. The pictures do make it look like a quick release but it isn’t. I grabbed my pz-1 which has the Fd grip on it and carefully examined it. My conclusion:

If there’s a way to use it as a quick release; I wouldn’t trust it. The edges of the plate don’t stick out past the plastic except for a tiny amount on the left and right. The plate is very thin, there are no bevels, it’s a flat steel plate sitting on a plastic grip. The bevel appears to be designed as a cosmetic and structural component. The bevels appear to smooth the transition to the rest of the grip and avoid leaving gaps where your hands might catch on the grip. They also likely increase the contact area of the plastic to the plate.

I’ll also add that every past discussion and description I’ve read suggested nothing about this being a quick release plate. If it is one, it’s super obscure and it would be much simpler to add an arca plate to the grip using the tripod socket. Remember also this grip was designed with a hand strap and the socket was there to use infrequently since the strap was the main purpose of the grip.
10-25-2022, 08:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
When you posted I went and found pictures since my grip wasn’t with me at the time. The pictures do make it look like a quick release but it isn’t. I grabbed my pz-1 which has the Fd grip on it and carefully examined it. My conclusion:

If there’s a way to use it as a quick release; I wouldn’t trust it. The edges of the plate don’t stick out past the plastic except for a tiny amount on the left and right. The plate is very thin, there are no bevels, it’s a flat steel plate sitting on a plastic grip. The bevel appears to be designed as a cosmetic and structural component. The bevels appear to smooth the transition to the rest of the grip and avoid leaving gaps where your hands might catch on the grip. They also likely increase the contact area of the plastic to the plate.

I’ll also add that every past discussion and description I’ve read suggested nothing about this being a quick release plate. If it is one, it’s super obscure and it would be much simpler to add an arca plate to the grip using the tripod socket. Remember also this grip was designed with a hand strap and the socket was there to use infrequently since the strap was the main purpose of the grip.
This makes sense, and i see no documentation anywhere referencing the bottom plate as a quick release. But, why even have that metal plate there at all? The camera body has a metal tripod mount in plastic, as do most bodies today. Why not a smooth bottom, rubber pads and a metal tripod socket? I always assumed it was built that way for some function. I've never seen a battery grip or motor drive for any camera make that had a bottom raised plate with edges.

After examining the base a little closer... I guess the plate is raised to make room for the wrist strap, which attaches to the bottom. Without the raised plate the camera wouldn't sit flat. Still its a weird design.

Last edited by tonyzoc; 10-25-2022 at 08:29 AM.
10-25-2022, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a pentax quick shoe adapter that may use that plate, I will check when I get home, it is like this one Very Good!! Pentax 645 Quick Shoe for 645 67 w/ Box | eBay
It holds a 645 and 67 so should be fine with the 35mm, I believe they made a QS 10 or QS 20 plate which was rectangular that fits

Last edited by garywakeling; 10-25-2022 at 10:55 AM. Reason: extra info
10-25-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Experiment and test trial worked , yes the plate is indeed compatible with the Pentax 645 and 67 Quick Shoe in the link above. From memory they also sold a 35mm plate as an optional accessory , nice that they included it on the base of the grip. Unlike the current manufacturer systems that squeeze the sides to clamp, the pentax system has a system more like a hotshot, where you slide the foot in and then the lever on the quick shoe raises the whole base to clamp the foot in place, typical Pentax thinking and doing their own thing
10-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Experiment and test trial worked , yes the plate is indeed compatible with the Pentax 645 and 67 Quick Shoe in the link above. From memory they also sold a 35mm plate as an optional accessory , nice that they included it on the base of the grip. Unlike the current manufacturer systems that squeeze the sides to clamp, the pentax system has a system more like a hotshot, where you slide the foot in and then the lever on the quick shoe raises the whole base to clamp the foot in place, typical Pentax thinking and doing their own thing
Great to know. So it is a tripod quick release. One more reason why I think the PZ-1p is such a great camera.

10-25-2022, 07:11 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! I’ve never even seen that accessory. You taught me something new.
10-26-2022, 02:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to know. So it is a tripod quick release. One more reason why I think the PZ-1p is such a great camera.
Yes I do like my Z1 too, the grip just made it work so well Happy to have filled in the knowledge base
10-26-2022, 05:40 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I can find the base is the same for 35 and 67/645 but the plate is different.

This eBay link shows a paired 35mm plate with the large 645 base:

EXC+++ PENTAX QUICK RELEASE TRIPOD SHOE w/QUICK RELEASE ADAPTER PLATE NICE, RARE | eBay
10-26-2022, 06:38 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I can find the base is the same for 35 and 67/645 but the plate is different.

This eBay link shows a paired 35mm plate with the large 645 base:

EXC+++ PENTAX QUICK RELEASE TRIPOD SHOE w/QUICK RELEASE ADAPTER PLATE NICE, RARE | eBay
Yes there is also a 35mm small rectangular base that was designed for the slimmer bodies. I still use my square connector with the K1 and Battery Grip, our cameras have extra girth nowadays and the convenience of the square base means that I can quickly switch from horizontal to vertical if required The 35mm base is exactly the same size as the base on the Z1 Grip

Last edited by garywakeling; 10-26-2022 at 06:38 PM. Reason: extra info
10-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Yes there is also a 35mm small rectangular base that was designed for the slimmer bodies. I still use my square connector with the K1 and Battery Grip, our cameras have extra girth nowadays and the convenience of the square base means that I can quickly switch from horizontal to vertical if required The 35mm base is exactly the same size as the base on the Z1 Grip
What do you think of this vs. Arca Swiss in terms of stability and ease of use? I'm floored that I have never seen it before.