Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grip Strap FE for Z-20p?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone here ever heard of the Pentax Grip Strap FE that Pentax made for the Z-20p cameras?
I was browsing eBay and I ran across a Z-20p with one of these attached to it. I have never ever seen one of these and I never knew it even existed. I checked the K Mount Pages and couldn't find a reference to one. I know of the Grip Strap FDP for the Z-1p cameras, but I didn't know the FE version existed.

10-30-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I did found this manual

PENTAX HAND GRIP FE OPERATING MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib
10-30-2022, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Oh cool. Thanks.
I wonder how many are out there?
In 12 years of buying and selling Pentax gear this is the first one I have ever seen.
10-30-2022, 05:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've purchased one a few years ago on eBay for about $60. They come up from time to time. Be aware that there is plastic pleather trim on the strap that does deteriorate. I do like the extension and the grip strap but it doesn't really add all that much to a PZ which already has a comfortable grip.

10-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a PZ-20 (the US version) for years... man, that was a great camera. I passed it on to my sister-in-law...
I do seem to remember the hand strap being available, but I never had one since my PZ-20 spent much of its life on a stroboframe with a TTL cord...
I'm glad you found that they really exist...

-Eric
10-30-2022, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I've purchased one a few years ago on eBay for about $60. They come up from time to time. Be aware that there is plastic pleather trim on the strap that does deteriorate. I do like the extension and the grip strap but it doesn't really add all that much to a PZ which already has a comfortable grip.
Are you talking about the FE version for the Z-20p or the FDP version for the PZ-1p/Z-1p cameras?
11-05-2022, 09:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you find one, you'll probably like it quite a bit. I got the grip/strap for my Z-1P, and the cameras handles much better with it attached. My grip/strap came without a strap, but I bought an inexpensive all-purpose hand grip on Ebay and took the strap off of that and attached it to the plastic grip/strap base. I understand the materials used by Pentax on the original straps on these units has not held up well over the years, so even if you find one with the strap attached it may not be in very good shape. Here are some pictures of how I did the strap replacement. Pentax PZ-1P/Z-1P (1995) | Flickr

11-06-2022, 08:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Are you talking about the FE version for the Z-20p or the FDP version for the PZ-1p/Z-1p cameras?
For the Z-1... I didn't know they had a different one for the PZ-20. I've never seen one.

Ah...here's one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374327974800?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357...mis&media=COPY

It is different than the one for the PZ-1. It has a cutaway to flip the panoramic switch and a raised lip.
11-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On a related note, I've been surprised at the dearth of scanned accessory catalogs from the mid-90s.

Plenty of them from the 1980s, but not really after that...

Like me, everyone probably threw them away...

-Eric
11-06-2022, 11:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
For the Z-1... I didn't know they had a different one for the PZ-20. I've never seen one.

Ah...here's one

PENTAX Z-20p/ZoomLens 35-80mm From Japan PFC-1027-09 | eBay

It is different than the one for the PZ-1. It has a cutaway to flip the panoramic switch and a raised lip.
Ya, I think that is the one I found. I am surprised to have found something that wasn't already on the K Mount Page.