Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Strap lug protector for vintage straps?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I like to give my vintage cameras some exercise, and when I go out with my SLRs, I like to use them with vintage straps.

I've had a couple of the really old Pentax leather straps, but they've always been in "not awesome" condition.
But I also have a couple "guitar-style" straps that look really appropriate with the older SLR bodies.

The problem, though, is that they all have metal clips which attach to the metal rings, so I end up with things like this:

That's going to rub away the chrome with all that metal/metal contact, and while I like a bit of wear on a camera, I don't need to add any more patina. These are no longer hard-used pro bodies working for a living. These are coddled hobby toys that are still used, and I'd like to leave them in at least as good shape as I found them.

So is there a way to mount these old straps to these older bodies that will protect them better?
I do have one strap that has some extenders with a plastic tube over most of the metal, but it looks like a kludge...

Or should I delve into my assortment of 80s, 90s, and post-Y2k nylon straps?

-Eric

10-31-2022, 05:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something like this might work:
https://shop.deadcameras.com/accessories/26-elongated-soft-leather-strap-pro...gefinders.html

I also see them on Etsy.
10-31-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those triangular loops are intended to take a narrow fabric or leather strap, not a metal dog-lead clip. I believe that all my old camera and lens case straps terminate in narrow fabric ends; I have never used most of them because they seem to have collected over the years. I even sewed one myself once, to fit non-standard camera lugs, and I'm sure something like that could be done with the ends of your guitar straps.

10-31-2022, 06:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I prefer the hippy straps over the narrow leatherette straps.
I've found 2 ways to deal with them
1- Plastic tubing on top of the lugs (not very efficient)

2. Leather "extensions" that you attach to the lugs and to the hippy strps to avoid marring the chrome

However, I agree that the fabric straps from the 90s are the best of both worlds.

10-31-2022, 07:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never liked those straps and when I get one with a camera I always throw them in the garbage. My favorite strap is the Domke Gripper. Its about 1.5 in wide with rubber sewn into the cloth. It comes with eyelet protectors too. About $30.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334421226770?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357...mis&media=COPY

10-31-2022, 09:08 AM   #6

As I recall the guitar straps often came with the leather extenders or circular replacement rings with leather tabs such as UncleVanya linked to. This would be more authentic towards the vintage.

Other thoughts if your not looking for "authenticity". Clear heat shrink tubing: not around the clip as a whole but threading the "hook" and spring clip through the tubing and shrinking it to form fit. Or Plasti Dip the clips and cut the spring clip free once it sets

https://plastidip.com/
10-31-2022, 10:32 AM   #7

I like the old hippie straps. They are definitely a throw-back to another era. I probably own at least a dozen of the old straps.

What you could try is finding some small diameter rubber tubing, snip it to size and thread it over you metal clips.

Here's one I just did minutes ago to show how easy it is,

Last edited by spiralcity; 10-31-2022 at 10:49 AM.
10-31-2022, 10:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm old enough to remember when brocade camera straps were all the rage.
Today I'd be most concerned with age-related failure of the fabric portion.

I've seen some similar modern handmade straps of this style on Etsy;
I'm not sure if they're strong enough for a heavy "old school" camera.

A Google search turned up some more results.
Here's a modern manufactured one sold by REI:

https://www.rei.com/product/203790/nocs-provisions-woven-tapestry-strap?sku=2037900002&store=142&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C21700000001700551_2037900002%7C92700065783698453%7CNB%7C71700000074092983&gclsrc=aw.ds

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-31-2022 at 11:13 AM.
10-31-2022, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow. Great suggestions.

I've thrown away a bunch of those little leather extensions... on the list of things not to throw away next time...

I do have a plastic boot over one of my straps, and I'm not fond of it, but the clear tube looks interesting...

I think my favorite solution is the little leather patches... I'll dig around and see if there are some closer to home...

I used a Domke gripper strap for years until all the little rubber stuff in it finally died. That is a great strap in terms of usability, but it doesn't match the 60s vibe.
I replaced it with a strap made of recycled seat upholstery, which also works great. If I was shooting for a living, I would get another Domke.

As I was looking, it turns out my favorite recycled strap place also now does hippie straps... I should have looked there first
Hippie Weave Camera Straps - Camera Straps

-Eric
10-31-2022, 03:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one solution -- Made from an old belt in 1972 at no cost except time.

It's served on a dozen+ bodies from an H1a to a K3iis with many different terminal adapters attached to the split rings as needed . . . and it's never left a scratch or dent.

It now has some younger brothers and sisters but I suspect this one 'll outlast me.
Attached Images

10-31-2022, 04:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the camera straps made from recycled seat belt material.
It's the strongest fabric out there yet soft, and far less flashy.

Chris
11-01-2022, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
As I was looking, it turns out my favorite recycled strap place also now does hippie straps... I should have looked there first
Hippie Weave Camera Straps - Camera Straps

-Eric
Yes, there are loads of that sort of strap on sale, meant for the job, but I had thought you wanted to use your own guitar strap somehow. You link's home page even shows one with a period K1000 I see them generally much cheaper than that though, but IDK about the quality.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I like the camera straps made from recycled seat belt material.
It's the strongest fabric out there yet soft, and far less flashy.
Chris
I think the weakest link of a strap would be the stitching at the ends rather than the material.
11-01-2022, 01:12 PM   #13

That clear tubing looks good, IMO. That's the sort of tubing you can find at pet and aquarium supply stores, used for the air pump systems.
11-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine’s got a leather pad that goes around the grommet and behind the ring. It was a royal pain to install, but looks nice once it’s on
11-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Yes, there are loads of that sort of strap on sale, meant for the job, but I had thought you wanted to use your own guitar strap somehow. You link's home page even shows one with a period K1000 I see them generally much cheaper than that though, but IDK about the quality.

I think the weakest link of a strap would be the stitching at the ends rather than the material.
Oh, yeah, I've got a couple of the vintage straps that I'm really after using, but I've used the Couch straps for years on the digital cameras (since I killed my Domke, now that I think about it).
I think Couch was using that same K1000 model when I bought my first strap from them, probably 15 years ago or so (for my K10). I wonder if it is only a model or if they shoot with it...

I've thrown away the sketchy older straps, where the material looks about to fail or is getting gross, or where the hardware is rusty.
I've noticed that many of them fail in the stitching between the embroidered part and the backing.

I will say none of the film roll holder elastic bands on the old straps have really survived. All of those things have gone saggy.

-Eric