Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2022, 08:31 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ME Super: Refreshing a classic from the 80's

Hello,

This was done a few months ago, but I didn't have the chance to sit down and write it until now.

Pentax was riding high in the success wave in the 60's and 70's. In 1975 they launched what was to become the iconic and still in use K mount we all love. But competition was fierce in the market. Olympus had the OM series of wonderful SLRs of small bodies but huge features. Only a year after the K mount was introduced, Pentax launched the M series in 1976. The first two models, the ME and the MX were even smaller than the Olympus OM series. The competition was intense with more than half a dozen players going all out in a Royal Rumble for the ever growing SLR market. Pentax, Olympus, Yashica, Minolta, Nikon, Canon and many others.
The ME offered only Av (Aperture Priority) automated exposure mode, with a single mechanical speed of 1/100s. In 1980, the ME was superseded by the ME Super. This updated model now featured not only Av (Aperture Priority) automatic mode, but also a manual mode. Instead of a dial, shutter speeds were selected by pushing buttons! The ME Super also had a higher top shutter speed of 1/2000 over the ME's 1/1000. The mechanical sync speed was now 1/125s. The ME Super was made until 1987 and over 2 million were made, making it one of the most popular Pentax SLRs in history.
You can read more about it and check specs here: Pentax ME Super - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

My specimen
I got this non working and jammed ME Super as a thank you token for a service I provided. This camera was at the cutting edge of electronics in its day. Lots of electronics here. With no schematics, no special test tools and no spare parts, there is not much I can do if the electronics fail. However, these electronics can be tough. Turns out it was mechanically jammed among other things.
Did not get as many pictures of this project as most others. I did not want to break the concentration.

The camera was relatively clean but jammed.
First step was to un-jammed it from the bottom by loosing the advance mechanism and reassembly. Once un-jammed, I noticed the main dial was very stiff as well as the ASA setting/exposure compensation ring.

I found out why.
The ASA setting/compensation ring had a dent that prevented from moving smoothly.

The part was reworked back to shape.

The main dial was stiff and made a grinding noise. No wonder.

The back door was crooked.

Traced the problem to this bent hinge

Taking the prism out implies disconnecting and messing around with the electronics. What I did was to loose it a bit and blow air underneath. While not surgically clean, the viewfinder came out very usable.

Cleaned the battery contacts and everything else. It all went back together.
The only issue is that the little LEDs that indicate 1, 2s, 4s and UNDER exposure do not work. Not a deal breaker if you ask me.
Simulated LEDs in this image

Other than that, everything seems to be working fine. I set the timer over and over just to listen to it

Presenting my "new" almost perfect ME Super

Hope you approve.

Thanks,
Ismael

11-10-2022, 10:52 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ME Super is a fine and fun camera. The camera store I worked at in the 80's sold them for $100 body only. Great bang for the buck!
11-11-2022, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hope you approve.
Well, I for one certainly do approve. Great post.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
11-11-2022, 09:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Other than that, everything seems to be working fine. I set the timer over and over just to listen to it
It does have a somewhat satisfying buzz!

11-11-2022, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on reviving a classic. I've often wondered what to do with my beloved but non-functioning ME Super. I suppose I could put it on the Marketplace as a project/parts camera. Part of it still lives on - it came with a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 lens which I use quite often.
11-11-2022, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Hello Ismael. Another sympathic restoration report from you. I'm again amazed by your willingness to tinker with lenses and cameras while not having a repairman formation. I'm doing some old lens repairs myself, but never had the courage to venture into camera disassembly !

The Pentax ME electronic series is a quite interesting breed of cameras from Pentax. Sure, they have their weaknesses, but seem rather reliable considering how old tech' they are.
11-11-2022, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice job on the restoration. The ME Super is the camera that started my love affair with Pentax. Still have my first one that I bought new back in the 80's and a second one that I bought used a couple of years later to use as a back up.

11-11-2022, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice job. Tricky by the sounds of it, but very satisfying in the end, I am sure.
10-12-2023, 08:00 AM   #9

Glad you didn't have to deal with mirror stuck and infinate wind problem. I have one working ME Super and 3 mirror/infinate wind ones.
Also have 3 MEs - one works, an MG, an MV-1 and a ME F that don't work yet.

I have cracked the code though and should have one of the ME supers fixed very soon.

I find the service manuals lacking as there is little detail RE: reassembly and with no new parts available, it can be daunting to work on these. Esp since the rubber parts all age and even if you find a donor camera the shock adsorbing rubber parts are probably all gooey.
10-12-2023, 10:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by egadgetguy Quote
Glad you didn't have to deal with mirror stuck and infinate wind problem. I have one working ME Super and 3 mirror/infinate wind ones.
Also have 3 MEs - one works, an MG, an MV-1 and a ME F that don't work yet.

I have cracked the code though and should have one of the ME supers fixed very soon.

I find the service manuals lacking as there is little detail RE: reassembly and with no new parts available, it can be daunting to work on these. Esp since the rubber parts all age and even if you find a donor camera the shock adsorbing rubber parts are probably all gooey.
Yeah, service manuals can be pretty cryptic. They were written with professional camera techs in mind so a lot of the more general bits of knowledge and understanding are taken for granted. Usually it just mentions adjustment/calibration points and unconventional assembly techniques that are unique to that camera.

If you are looking for replacement dampers for the ME Super, I like to use wire sheathing. Strip the silicone outer from some 12 gage wire, cut it to length and it should fit nicely around the posts. You can also just not replace them. After all, most ME's don't have the bumpers, which is why they don't experience this issue as often.
10-13-2023, 05:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The MESuper is a great camera, paired with the 50/1,7 was a workhorse.
10-23-2023, 11:55 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by vandergus Quote
Yeah, service manuals can be pretty cryptic. They were written with professional camera techs in mind so a lot of the more general bits of knowledge and understanding are taken for granted. Usually it just mentions adjustment/calibration points and unconventional assembly techniques that are unique to that camera.

If you are looking for replacement dampers for the ME Super, I like to use wire sheathing. Strip the silicone outer from some 12 gage wire, cut it to length and it should fit nicely around the posts. You can also just not replace them. After all, most ME's don't have the bumpers, which is why they don't experience this issue as often.
Hi, Yeah I get that you can use insulated sheathing from wires. I will try the 12 ga wire thing... I have almost put the 1st one back together.

I just wish there were actual parts to put in...
10-30-2023, 07:58 PM   #13

Simply amazing. Such a joy to go through the whole refurbishment and repair. Nice job!
11-01-2023, 10:41 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by detour Quote
Simply amazing. Such a joy to go through the whole refurbishment and repair. Nice job!
I have had such a time reassembling this one. I finally thought I had it, now the meter is doing something crazy. The leds are lighting up in sequence from botttom to top. Wierd...

Anyone ever seen this? HELP!!!

Last edited by egadgetguy; 11-02-2023 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Help