Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2022, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Is this the early version of Pentax Super S2?

The package from Japan just arrived and it's my Asahi Pentax Super S2 in black paint paired with Auto Takumar 55 mm f/2.

Looks pretty good outside but the shutter is stuck and so does the aperture blades, while the lens needs cleaning as well (going to bring it for CLA in near future).

But I'm quite curious, is this possibly the early version of Super S2? Since so many other examples online shows later refinements, mainly the clip on light meter provision on the shutter speed dial and auto reset film counter. Not to mention the serial number is very low for a Super S2, concurrent with normal S2

Attached Images

11-18-2022, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some info from other forum members:
Asahi Pentax S2 question - PentaxForums.com
11-18-2022, 04:10 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

The manually reset frame counter, the lack of the notch for the meter coupling and the early style back door release all suggest earlier model. The 55 f2 Auto Takumar was the standard kit lens as well. However the serial number seems to be within the range of the S2 series, rather than the SV as usual.
The rewind knob R been orange suggests later model but that part is very easily interchangeable.
Assuming the camera has not been altered in over 60 years, I would say it is an earlier version with a later version rewind knob.

That lens needs immediate attention.

Those cameras are dangerous and I am certified to dispose of them properly... in my collection

Thanks,
Ismael
11-18-2022, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

The manually reset frame counter, the lack of the notch for the meter coupling and the early style back door release all suggest earlier model. The 55 f2 Auto Takumar was the standard kit lens as well. However the serial number seems to be within the range of the S2 series, rather than the SV as usual.
The rewind knob R been orange suggests later model but that part is very easily interchangeable.
Assuming the camera has not been altered in over 60 years, I would say it is an earlier version with a later version rewind knob.

That lens needs immediate attention.

Those cameras are dangerous and I am certified to dispose of them properly... in my collection

Thanks,
Ismael

But yeah surprised got this more interesting version of Super S2

And I also noticed the normal S2 does have orange "R" on the rewind knob

Last edited by LouieBunbun; 11-18-2022 at 09:01 PM.
11-20-2022, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything on this camera looks just like my many different S2s (H2-SB), numbering from 204xxx to 288xxx. Except for the shutter time. Rather than calling it an early S2 Super, I would call it an early S3. Note that the serial number is 290xxx, while the first S3 (H3) in our database has 295xxx! The first S2 Super starts at some 350xxx, the next one being some 450xxx.
My guess is that it this is a transition model, testing out a faster speed. Probably not meant for sale, but at some point slipping into the market. That happened from time to time within different brands, causing us some problems when trying to identify them.

Last edited by Bosse; 11-20-2022 at 08:27 AM.
11-20-2022, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bosse Quote
Everything on this camera looks just like my many different S2s (H2-SB), numbering from 204xxx to 288xxx. Except for the shutter time. Rather than calling it an early S2 Super, I would call it an early S3. Note that the serial number is 290xxx, while the first S3 (H3) in our database has 295xxx! The first S2 Super starts at some 350xxx, the next one being some 450xxx.
My guess is that it this is a transition model, testing out a faster speed. Probably not meant for sale, but at some point slipping into the market. That happened from time to time within different brands, causing us some problems when trying to identify them.
Wow this is such a nice theory

I just found out this Super S2 with SN 348xxx from a local online marketplace, it has slot for clip on light meter accessory
11-20-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it possible/practical that it was repaired with a S3 shutter/dial?

The S2 doesn't have the "secret 1/1000" shutter speed like the S1, either, does it?
Otherwise, it could just be a replacement shutter speed dial...

-Eric

11-20-2022, 06:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Is it possible/practical that it was repaired with a S3 shutter/dial?

The S2 doesn't have the "secret 1/1000" shutter speed like the S1, either, does it?
Otherwise, it could just be a replacement shutter speed dial...

-Eric
This is getting interesting since now there are some theories about what exactly the model of my Pentax.

I think all of us agree it isn't normal Pentax S2, but so far the possibilities are:

- Early Pentax Super S2
- Very late Pentax S2 with 1/1000 shutter speed beta testing
- Early Pentax S3 in disguise
- Super S2 with swapped parts

For S3, the only possibility is from very early version because just like Super S2, from SN 340xxx and later the shutter speed dial does have clip on light meter slot on it.
11-20-2022, 08:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bosse Quote
I just found a picture from Google a Heiland Pentax H3 has SN 285xxx