Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2022, 03:14 PM   #1

Ricoh XR-P and XR-20sp (or KR-30sp) shutter not engaged immediately

Hi,

I'm having a problem with both camera's not engaging the shutter on the first advance of the film wind lever. Only after advancing a second time, the shutter will be engaged and can be fired.
After having fired the shutter successfully, both camera's work fine again on the first advance. When the camera's aren't touched for a couple of hours, the process starts again.

Is there a logical explanation and a fix for this behaviour? I'm running those camera's without film at the moment. I don't want to waste at least one exposure every time I start using the camera's..

11-24-2022, 05:23 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hey Haenzel -- I love Ricoh SLRs but don't own either of this model.

Have you seen this behavior when the cameras are loaded with film? I know there are some cameras that behave a little differently when you first load film -- for example they disable auto mode so you don't get a long delay when shooting and advancing film to the "1" position.

I'd suggest loading the camera with film, keep the shutter cap on, lens at its smallest aperture and shutter at its fastest speed. You should be able to fire off a couple of shots without exposing the film. Once done you can rewind it (don't rewind the leader into the cassette, obviously) and re-use the film.

Normally I'd chalk this up to an electronic glitch but with two cameras of the same series doing it, I have to wonder if it's some sort of a feature!

Incidentally that's a Ricoh model I did not know about and will look into. I have a few in the late-70s/early-80s series, including two copies of the Sears KS Auto (XR-2s). It's one of my favorite walk-around, knock-about cameras -- works beautifully and I don't think I paid more than $20 for either of them.

Aaron
11-24-2022, 08:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
Hey Haenzel -- I love Ricoh SLRs but don't own either of this model.

Have you seen this behavior when the cameras are loaded with film? I know there are some cameras that behave a little differently when you first load film -- for example they disable auto mode so you don't get a long delay when shooting and advancing film to the "1" position.

I'd suggest loading the camera with film, keep the shutter cap on, lens at its smallest aperture and shutter at its fastest speed. You should be able to fire off a couple of shots without exposing the film. Once done you can rewind it (don't rewind the leader into the cassette, obviously) and re-use the film.

Normally I'd chalk this up to an electronic glitch but with two cameras of the same series doing it, I have to wonder if it's some sort of a feature!

Incidentally that's a Ricoh model I did not know about and will look into. I have a few in the late-70s/early-80s series, including two copies of the Sears KS Auto (XR-2s). It's one of my favorite walk-around, knock-about cameras -- works beautifully and I don't think I paid more than $20 for either of them.

Aaron
Hi Aaron, thanks for your reply. They certainly are neat little SLRs, with lots of features. Especially the XR-P Multi Program.

I will try to load one of the camera's with film and check the behaviour. I do seem to remember the issue being worse in the beginning.
I had to crank the camera's multiple times to be able to fire the shutter. It's strange because everything feels really smooth and both camera's look brand new.

Perhaps they just require some running in...
11-24-2022, 09:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have KR-5sv. Its shutter will not work if advance lever returned all the way forward. I have to move that lever slightly back for shutter button to work.

11-24-2022, 11:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I have KR-5sv. Its shutter will not work if advance lever returned all the way forward. I have to move that lever slightly back for shutter button to work.

I've noticed this in a review and tried that. Unfortunately that didn't make any difference...
Thanks anyway !
11-25-2022, 03:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have both xr-p & kr-30sp both are great cameras. For their price at the time were featured well above their price point........ Unfortunately they are collecting dust now as I just don't feel like messing with film anymore...Read the manual..... if you dont have one...

https://www.butkus.org/chinon//ricoh/xr-p/ricoh_xr-p.pdf

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/ricoh/kr-30sp/kr-30sp.pdf

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 11-25-2022 at 03:35 AM.
11-25-2022, 08:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I have both xr-p & kr-30sp both are great cameras. For their price at the time were featured well above their price point........ Unfortunately they are collecting dust now as I just don't feel like messing with film anymore...Read the manual..... if you dont have one...

https://www.butkus.org/chinon//ricoh/xr-p/ricoh_xr-p.pdf

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/ricoh/kr-30sp/kr-30sp.pdf

Thanks, I already downloaded the manuals earlier on. Did I miss something?

11-25-2022, 10:09 AM   #8

Similar with my XR-P

I also have a XR-P which shows similar behaviour: If the camera wasn't used for some time, the advance lever has to be operated two or more times so that the shutter is ready. Afte firing, advancing once is sufficient. Thus I always operate the advance lever directly after firirg the shutter.

Your Ricoh cameras like mine probably need a check-up, but it does not seem to be very urgent... :-)

Greetings from Hamburg, Arnold
11-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by licht-stark Quote
...Greetings from Hamburg, Arnold
And greetings to you and welcome to the Forum!
11-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by licht-stark Quote
I also have a XR-P which shows similar behaviour: If the camera wasn't used for some time, the advance lever has to be operated two or more times so that the shutter is ready. Afte firing, advancing once is sufficient. Thus I always operate the advance lever directly after firirg the shutter.

Your Ricoh cameras like mine probably need a check-up, but it does not seem to be very urgent... :-)

Greetings from Hamburg, Arnold
Thanks for your feedback Arnold. Good to know I'm not alone.... ;

I'm determined to find out what the cause is..

Schoenes Wochenende!
11-28-2022, 06:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Hi,

I'm having a problem with both camera's not engaging the shutter on the first advance of the film wind lever. Only after advancing a second time, the shutter will be engaged and can be fired.
After having fired the shutter successfully, both camera's work fine again on the first advance. When the camera's aren't touched for a couple of hours, the process starts again.

Is there a logical explanation and a fix for this behaviour? I'm running those camera's without film at the moment. I don't want to waste at least one exposure every time I start using the camera's..
Ok, after some investigation it appeared a lever didn't hold it's position after advancing the film. I've carefully cleaned the internal parts, oiled where necessary and let the auto-winder do it's job for about 3-4 minutes. After appr. 200 shutter activations all worked well again. I performed the same with my other camera with identical success rate....
11-28-2022, 05:47 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.