Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2022, 07:26 PM - 11 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax *ist: The LAST film SLR from Pentax

Hello,

After 51 years of producing 35mm film cameras and 46 years after the very first pentaprism SLR, Pentax launched what was to be their last film SLR body in 2003: The *ist
This camera was launched alongside the company's first DSLR, named the *ist D in what was one of the most dramatic milestones in photography's history: The change from film to digital.
Considered the lightest/smallest autofocus 35mm film SLR, it is really lightweight and compact. It was oriented for the entry level market. You can read more about it here: Pentax *ist - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

For a while I've been interested in finding one of these simply because it is the very last film SLR Pentax made to date. However, they are not very common. I was finally able to get a great deal on one from our own marketplace.

It is in good shape with only minor signs of wear and a few little cosmetic scratches. However, the previous owner reported the e-dial was finicky in operation. This seems to be a common issue with these cameras.

Sure enough, while still working, the e-dial has an attitude. I've been reading about this and it seems that accessing the e-dial internals is a nightmare. Haven't found a successful repair story online. I tried a little blast of electrical contact cleaner to no avail. But it still works so I'll leave it alone for now. The camera was cleaned inside and out but without disassembling anything. (hard for me )

Been very light and small, why not test it with the smallest lens? The XS-40 which is not much bigger than a body cap!
Despite its digital crop sensor designation it's been reported to cover the full frame of 35mm.
So the lens was installed and fresh batteries went in. Out into the wild it went accompanied by a 1956 Brownie Hawkeye

You can read more about that comparison here: Very odd couple on a date - PentaxForums.com

I loaded the very last roll of Kodak Gold 100 in my stash, expired about a decade ago. Fearing it may have lost some sensitivity, in many cases I dialed a +1 or a +0.5 exposure comp. You'll see it was not needed as the roll was perfectly fine.
I just received the online scans from the lab and the negatives are in transit.
These are untouched except for the signature and resize.

MFD and wide open:

Testing center weight metering on this one.

This is not a lake. This is some flooded land due to recent heavy rains.

and my favorite set of this roll: Guajataca river mouth.

Finally, my faithful companion of almost 17 years and 238,000 miles... I ordered it to the factory on January 2006.

Observations:
-Very capable!
-Surprisingly lightweight and easy to use.
-Similar in operation to a DSLR
-Need to check the options on the AF focusing points as I was using center point but when recomposing it changed focus despite been in AF-S. Need to read more on the manual.
-XS40 lens works perfectly fine on film
-As long as the e-dial holds, I see this as a very capable, easy and fun to use camera.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 11-26-2022 at 08:56 PM.
11-26-2022, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the right hands, the camera and lens can produce nice shots. It does look like a DSLR at first glance. I'm glad that you were able to obtain this gem.
11-27-2022, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #3

Nice pictures.

These end of era cameras are amazing value. I recently picked up a Canon Rebel T2 (300X) for the price of 3 films. I think it has a lot in common with the *ist that you show. The condition of the camera was essentially as new since by the time it was released in 2004 a lot of consumers had lost interest in film and started buying digital point and shoots (DSLRs were expensive in those days).

I bought a Canon 40mm pancake to use with the camera and the whole package is about as light and compact as a point and shoot camera. Most of the time I want to shoot with a more traditional camera with metal build and manual controls, but the little Canon is fun to take out from time to time.
11-27-2022, 04:04 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad you're having fun with it and hope the e dial holds out. I wasn't using it and so I'm glad it has found a good home.

11-27-2022, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

That looks nice, but *ist must be about the silliest name in camera history, at least for an ILC. I heard that the user was meant to replace mentally the asterisk with what they would use it for, like "artist", "hobbyist" or "tourist" etc.

I'm amazed that Pentax did not go for a complete break in naming for their first digital camera, but instead they just added a "D". I was waiting for Pentax to introduce a DSLR back then, but the *ist D name actually put me off. I couldn't take it seriously and I was not even sure how I would pronounce it to ask for one in a shop. I waited for the K10D.
11-27-2022, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

*ist wonder?

It was the very first (and last) film camera which came with full options like the date back, wonderful and reatively fast AF. I bought one new in 2003 and still have it and it is in new condition. A very complete camera.
Congatulations on acquiring this lovely small camera!
11-27-2022, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I was never dis-satisfied with mine, but it was my first a/f SLR so it took a bit of getting used to.
I bought an oem M42-PK adaptor and a Ref A viewfinder attachment for it … I seem to remember they cost more than the camera!
Circumstances encouraged me to change to digital after a relatively short period, so I bought a *istDS and the *ist still languishes in the cupboard

Last edited by kypfer; 11-28-2022 at 02:07 AM.
11-27-2022, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
That looks nice, but *ist must be about the silliest name in camera history, at least for an ILC. I heard that the user was meant to replace mentally the asterisk with what they would use it for, like "artist", "hobbyist" or "tourist" etc.

I'm amazed that Pentax did not go for a complete break in naming for their first digital camera, but instead they just added a "D". I was waiting for Pentax to introduce a DSLR back then, but the *ist D name actually put me off. I couldn't take it seriously and I was not even sure how I would pronounce it to ask for one in a shop. I waited for the K10D.
I always thought that the asterisk was supposed to be said "star"-ist. The biggest problem is that doing internet searches using an asterisk is a disaster...
11-27-2022, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I always thought that the asterisk was supposed to be said "star"-ist. The biggest problem is that doing internet searches using an asterisk is a disaster...
That's probably also why you never heard about the Minolta "rm *.*" or the Canon "Format C:"

But yeah, *ist is a terrible name...

Ismael, how did you get 238,000 miles on a car when you can't ever go on a long trip? It's what, 300 miles around the whole island?

I agree on your conclusions on the camera. It's a neat little thing, and the rear information screen is cool, but I like the control layout of the MZ/ZX-series better... though it could be just the size.
And it does really suit the 40xs. I'd love to try it with the battery grip, but I've never seen one...

-Eric
11-27-2022, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all! I have always pronounced it "star-ist". But maybe "Ismael-ist" may catch on

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Ismael, how did you get 238,000 miles on a car when you can't ever go on a long trip? It's what, 300 miles around the whole island?
-Eric
on an airplane, yes.
At the fear of hijacking my own thread: For over 18 years my daily commute was over 55 miles each way. Then in 2010 I lost my job. In 2011 I started working for a communications company and I was project manager for Freeway Authority and Railway projects. For about 5 years or so my car and I lived on the freeway, up and down.
In this video I'm doing Hi Speed tests on newly installed toll systems back in 2012.
You see, I'm a car guy. Flying thru a 45MPH toll booth at 85 MPH is neat Yeah, I had permission and police cover but anyways.

These have been replaced already and the toll structures demolished.

And here it is before running the length of an airport runway. It MAY have gone triple digit speeds but the runway was long!

I switched jobs in 2015 and since the pandemic I've been working from home, so it has not accumulated more than 6,000 miles since 2020.

As of today it is in the shop getting a well deserved tune up, getting ready for the next 200K.

By the way, this is our family SUV that has become the official Boy Scouts Mobile and Warehouse since 2014.

Thanks,
Ismael
11-27-2022, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It was the very first (and last) film camera which came with full options like the date back, wonderful and reatively fast AF
It was not the first one, the MZ-S had those too, maybe some of the other MZ series as well.

---------- Post added 11-27-22 at 09:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
the *ist D name actually put me off. I couldn't take it seriously and I was not even sure how I would pronounce it to ask for one in a shop
I just pronounce it "ist D", the * is silent.
11-28-2022, 01:38 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if it wasn't a crippled mount, it would be the best camera in the world, my starist
11-29-2022, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
if it wasn't a crippled mount, it would be the best camera in the world, my starist
Yeah the crippled k-mount stops it being one of the best Pentax film cameras.

Phil.
12-02-2022, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

After 51 years of producing 35mm film cameras and 46 years after the very first pentaprism SLR, Pentax launched what was to be their last film SLR body in 2003: The *ist
This camera was launched alongside the company's first DSLR, named the *ist D in what was one of the most dramatic milestones in photography's history: The change from film to digital.
Considered the lightest/smallest autofocus 35mm film SLR, it is really lightweight and compact. It was oriented for the entry level market. You can read more about it here: Pentax *ist - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

For a while I've been interested in finding one of these simply because it is the very last film SLR Pentax made to date. However, they are not very common. I was finally able to get a great deal on one from our own marketplace.

It is in good shape with only minor signs of wear and a few little cosmetic scratches. However, the previous owner reported the e-dial was finicky in operation. This seems to be a common issue with these cameras.

Sure enough, while still working, the e-dial has an attitude. I've been reading about this and it seems that accessing the e-dial internals is a nightmare. Haven't found a successful repair story online. I tried a little blast of electrical contact cleaner to no avail. But it still works so I'll leave it alone for now. The camera was cleaned inside and out but without disassembling anything. (hard for me )

Been very light and small, why not test it with the smallest lens? The XS-40 which is not much bigger than a body cap!
Despite its digital crop sensor designation it's been reported to cover the full frame of 35mm.
So the lens was installed and fresh batteries went in. Out into the wild it went accompanied by a 1956 Brownie Hawkeye

You can read more about that comparison here: Very odd couple on a date - PentaxForums.com

I loaded the very last roll of Kodak Gold 100 in my stash, expired about a decade ago. Fearing it may have lost some sensitivity, in many cases I dialed a +1 or a +0.5 exposure comp. You'll see it was not needed as the roll was perfectly fine.
I just received the online scans from the lab and the negatives are in transit.
These are untouched except for the signature and resize.

MFD and wide open:

Testing center weight metering on this one.

This is not a lake. This is some flooded land due to recent heavy rains.

and my favorite set of this roll: Guajataca river mouth.

Finally, my faithful companion of almost 17 years and 238,000 miles... I ordered it to the factory on January 2006.

Observations:
-Very capable!
-Surprisingly lightweight and easy to use.
-Similar in operation to a DSLR
-Need to check the options on the AF focusing points as I was using center point but when recomposing it changed focus despite been in AF-S. Need to read more on the manual.
-XS40 lens works perfectly fine on film
-As long as the e-dial holds, I see this as a very capable, easy and fun to use camera.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ismael
Thanks for a cool review and damn you for making me want an *ist. PS, I'm a car guy too and the G6 Coupe was a cool car. Nice to see one that is still loved! I've made a few trips to Puerto Rico and it's a really enjoyable place to drive.

Aaron