Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2023, 01:46 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by analogpics Quote
Yeah, the MX has been intriguing for sure! I wonder if there's a way to loosen up the shutter dial? Fully mechanical and tiny sounds great to me, though i did get one and returned it a while back (almost every shot was OOF so probably just needed to be looked at by a technician). Repair guy out here has a clean black one that i may snatch up!
These cameras are 40 years old, so a fresh service by a reputable Pentax technician should certainly be factored into any purchase decision. The focus issue you experienced was likely caused by incorrect focussing screen seating and/or mirror position. I have a serviced MX and it is wonderful. The shutter dial is not stiffer than any other mechanical camera I own.

01-10-2023, 09:51 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, here's another video of it acting up:

Dropbox - IMG_0627.MOV - Simplify your life

Wonder if it's worth getting looked at by a repair person and talking to the ebay seller about a partial refund, or if it's just time to probably ship back. Hopefully i can find another 5xxxxxx serial with the vertical grip
How many cameras do you have on that shelf in the background???
01-11-2023, 08:45 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
How many cameras do you have on that shelf in the background???
Haha, i haven't counted, but maybe around 50-60 in the ikea expedit you see there.

On a side note, i went and looked at a pentax mx yesterday at a camera repair/used camera shop and, at least on the copy that i handled the film advance felt unusually cheap and loose. Ended up getting a spotmatic F since ive always been curious about those guys. Test roll was a bit hit or miss, but i think the next roll i'll just use the ground glass for focus as opposed to the microprism spot and see if that changes anything. I've had good luck with the focus on my Super A, but man, the Spotmatic just has such a nice feel to it. Even the 50 1.4 smc takumar it came with feels nicer than any of my pentax smc-m lenses. The grip on the focus ring is more comfortable and less slippery and it has the perfect amount of dampening. On retrospect, i do wish i would've waited for a black one, sheesh those look really nice hehe.
01-11-2023, 08:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha, i haven't counted, but maybe around 50-60 in the ikea expedit you see there.

On a side note, i went and looked at a pentax mx yesterday at a camera repair/used camera shop and, at least on the copy that i handled the film advance felt unusually cheap and loose. Ended up getting a spotmatic F since ive always been curious about those guys. Test roll was a bit hit or miss, but i think the next roll i'll just use the ground glass for focus as opposed to the microprism spot and see if that changes anything. I've had good luck with the focus on my Super A, but man, the Spotmatic just has such a nice feel to it. Even the 50 1.4 smc takumar it came with feels nicer than any of my pentax smc-m lenses. The grip on the focus ring is more comfortable and less slippery and it has the perfect amount of dampening. On retrospect, i do wish i would've waited for a black one, sheesh those look really nice hehe.
Were you able to get ahold of the folks at NSB? I think the email in the thread linked to above could be old - used a different one when I sent them an FA77 in ‘21.

01-11-2023, 09:43 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzaletel Quote
Were you able to get ahold of the folks at NSB? I think the email in the thread linked to above could be old - used a different one when I sent them an FA77 in ‘21.
Oh man, i totally forgot to mention in this thread... I ended up just sending the camera back. Figured it was still in the window to return it so felt safer just doing that. A friend of mine got an mz-s recently and let me test his out and yeah, no flash/battery issue as far as i could tell. However, yeah, it really does struggle to focus in subdued light so hmmm, maybe it's just not for me?
01-11-2023, 10:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you’re a candidate for the (someday) new Pentax film camera!