Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #1

Compact Film Camera for Concert Photography

Hi all!

I'm looking to find a good option for photographing small venue concerts as I go to a lot of them and 90% of the time they don't let me in with any relatively compact SLR or rangefinder, basically anything with a substantial lens. It would also be great to just chuck in my bag when I go outside without taking up too much space.

I want film because I love its grain and imperfection for capturing these kinds of moments, but I do want to expose and focus correctly. So what are my options for a compact and quiet camera that will focus and expose correctly - whether manual or auto I don't mind, as long as it's not fixed aperture or fixed focusing distance.

I was considering a Rollei 35 but I'm not confident to zone focus close to wide open. A Contax T seems like a good option and I love it's engineering, but it's pricey.

Thanks!

12-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax Auto 110 and a selection of lenses to fit the venue...
12-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Have you thought of a pre-owned half frame camera ?
12-14-2022, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Are you sure they will let you in with film camera? If you walked in with say a Nikon 28Ti/35Ti or Olympus Superzoom from the 1990's era, I bet they'd still think it is too "pro", lol. What is your typical ISO setting and shutter speeds you shoot at concerts with your digital camera? I take it this is BW film you want to use?

12-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You need an Ermanox, it opens doors :-)

Small compact with good focus aid: Olympus XA.
12-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by owenhu Quote
Hi all!

I'm looking to find a good option for photographing small venue concerts as I go to a lot of them and 90% of the time they don't let me in with any relatively compact SLR or rangefinder, basically anything with a substantial lens. It would also be great to just chuck in my bag when I go outside without taking up too much space.

I want film because I love its grain and imperfection for capturing these kinds of moments, but I do want to expose and focus correctly. So what are my options for a compact and quiet camera that will focus and expose correctly - whether manual or auto I don't mind, as long as it's not fixed aperture or fixed focusing distance.

I was considering a Rollei 35 but I'm not confident to zone focus close to wide open. A Contax T seems like a good option and I love it's engineering, but it's pricey.

Thanks!
I've used the Rollei 35 for just this type of venue. With the Rollei flash (100xlc) you can get away with f/5.6 to f/11 within a close range...like 10-15 feet, and with ISO 400 film (or push to 800). Focus is not an issue because its a 35mm lens, so dof is better and at f/8 your dof will be more than enough to correct any focus guestimates.

Another alternative is a Pentax MX. You can slip the body in a coat pocket. For a lens you want something compact...obvious is the 40mm pancake, but I'd try to get a short tele...like the 135/3.5 M. I once took my MX to a concert (Frank Zappa I think) with a sigma 400mm/5.6 mirror lens down my pants...

These days I don't try for a film camera anymore. I have a Canon PowerShot Elph 360 HS which is has 20mp sensor, shoots 1080p video with a 12x optical zoom and fits in a shirt pocket.

12-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consdier a 35mm folder. I have a couple of Kodak Retina 1a cameras which work fine (zone focusing - you get used to it) for low-profile pocketable film-camera situations. If you really need rangefinder focusing, a Retina IIa works fine. Mine have the 50mm f2.8 lenses. Some IIa models have a 50mm f2.0 lens. Of course, pushing Tri-X or other fast film to 800 or 1600 might be necessary, and a steady hand is needed.

-Joe-

12-14-2022, 02:24 PM   #8

Hi all!

Thanks!
Canon Canonet G-III QL17 ? It's a small capable camera with a 40 mm f/1.7
12-14-2022, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Consdier a 35mm folder. I have a couple of Kodak Retina 1a cameras which work fine (zone focusing - you get used to it) for low-profile pocketable film-camera situations. If you really need rangefinder focusing, a Retina IIa works fine. Mine have the 50mm f2.8 lenses. Some IIa models have a 50mm f2.0 lens. Of course, pushing Tri-X or other fast film to 800 or 1600 might be necessary, and a steady hand is needed.
-Joe-
More or less exactly what I was going to write … I used a folding Retina with the 50mm f/2 lens on several occasions "back in the day" … if anyone noticed they certainly didn't comment or complain.
My film of choice for that sort of environment was usually Ilford XP1 (or later XP2 XP2 SUPER 35mm )
No neckstrap, case or other paraphernalia, kept it folded in an inside pocket, slipped it out for a couple of snaps as needed and put it away again
The rangefinder was perfectly adequate (and necessary with an f/2 lens wide open), the film coped well with the wide contrast between the spot-lit highs and the shadows at the back of the stage.
Do remember, in a wide-contrast environment like this, your lens (on what is likely to be an "older" camera) needs to be spotlessly clean to minimise flare.
12-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax Espio series of compact 35mm film cameras are pretty good. They have flash, auto focus and zoom lenses. I have the 150SL version.

Pentax Espio/IQZoom 150SL - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Phil.
Attached Images

12-14-2022, 04:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Are you sure they will let you in with film camera? If you walked in with say a Nikon 28Ti/35Ti or Olympus Superzoom from the 1990's era, I bet they'd still think it is too "pro", lol.

This would be my main concern as well. A press pass is a good thing to have.

Chris
12-14-2022, 05:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Have you thought of a pre-owned half frame camera ?
I do have a new Kodak H35 camera but it's more of a toy point and shoot... A Pen E of Pen F might be an interesting choice

---------- Post added 12-14-22 at 05:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This would be my main concern as well. A press pass is a good thing to have.

Chris
I've brought a point and shoot and Canon QL19 to venues before and the security didn't seem to mind. Hmm, yeah I might look into that, not sure how I would get a press pass though.

---------- Post added 12-14-22 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Canon Canonet G-III QL17 ? It's a small capable camera with a 40 mm f/1.7
I do have a QL19 actually, although I'm probably selling that since the focusing patch is a bit hard to see and the shutter speeds are quite a bit slower across the board. The shutter release button is also bit too stiff for my liking.
12-14-2022, 06:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might look into that, not sure how I would get a press pass though.

Offer your services to some local publication.
They will arrange your press credentials.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-15-2022 at 08:45 AM.
12-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder what kind of response you’d get if you walked in with a Speed Graphic press camera?
12-14-2022, 09:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the venue doesn't want people bringing in SLR's I don't think they want people shooting off flashes. Never mind being another audience member and having someone do that next to them. I wouldn't do any of that.

Curious what you end up going with. A small rangefinder, full frame, with full manual controls and a lens that goes faster than F2.0 would be my choice. I think the Canonet previously mentioned would fit the bill.