Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2022, 04:13 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

RIP Colton Allen

Colton Allen’s wife Tiffany has posted of his passing on IG (@daiku_san).

Many of you would be familiar with Colton’s wonderful colour photography from the US. He was a regular poster to the film shots thread as Swift1 and contributed many wonderful articles over the years.

One of the good ones

12-20-2022, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
NOOO!!!!! So sad to read this.
My heart is broken. He was such a nice guy! A true inspiration!
I recently bought a Kiev from him.
I will certainly miss him.
RIP Colton...

Thanks,
Ismael
12-20-2022, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate to say it, but maybe the Forum needs a way to announce/recognize departed members.

I am under the impression that, for instance, Stevebrot is no longer with us (PLEASE correct me if I am in error!), but I am aware of that only from some post referring to that indirectly).

I am not sure about the average age of Forum members (I am 76!), but I suspect that a moderate numnber of us may trundle on before t-o-o-o-o-o long.

This is perhaps my favorite hangout, and I love it when I see responses from those whose contributions I respect, and enjoy contributions from.

Should I preload my wife with some kind of announcement? I hope not for quite some time, but ... .
12-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super sad to hear it.... Such a great talent. RIP.

12-20-2022, 07:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Really sad to hear about Colton and Steve... I haven't been here for a couple of years, but I remember many great exchanges with both of them...
12-20-2022, 07:45 PM - 7 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Over the years Colton had raised funds for:

The ALS Association
Oregon and SW Washington Chapter
825 NE Multnomah St., Ste. 940
Portland, OR 97232
503-238-5559
info@alsoregon.org

It may be a kindness to leave a gift in memoriam.
12-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thoughts and prayers to another PentaxForum brother and his family. He was a great contributor and he will be missed!

12-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Really sad to hear about Colton and Steve... I haven't been here for a couple of years, but I remember many great exchanges with both of them...
Oh no. I didn't know about Steve. I had the good fortune to meet him once since he lived across the river from me. He was such a prolific forum member it didn't occur to me that his time here was finite even though I knew he wasn't in the best of health.

I posted about Colton in the General Talk subforum. If you'd like, there are some nice words posted by others there too.
12-20-2022, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I'm so sad to hear about Colton's passing. I had the pleasure of buying one of his 67 lenses many years ago and began to follow his amazing and clever 4x5 film work.

I've not met a friendlier fellow.
I know he was really becoming more debilitated from ALS, but shocked that we've lost him.
May his loved ones have comfort and healing.

Last edited by mikeSF; 12-20-2022 at 10:21 PM.
12-20-2022, 10:35 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I hate to say it, but maybe the Forum needs a way to announce/recognize departed members.

I am under the impression that, for instance, Stevebrot is no longer with us (PLEASE correct me if I am in error!), but I am aware of that only from some post referring to that indirectly).

I am not sure about the average age of Forum members (I am 76!), but I suspect that a moderate numnber of us may trundle on before t-o-o-o-o-o long.

This is perhaps my favorite hangout, and I love it when I see responses from those whose contributions I respect, and enjoy contributions from.

Should I preload my wife with some kind of announcement? I hope not for quite some time, but ... .
Steve, May you rest in peace - PentaxForums.com

I worry when prolific posters drop off the radar… has (fill in absent username) stopped participating due to brand change, forum fatigue, or health and welfare?
12-20-2022, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspected Colton was in declining health from his post that he could no longer hold a camera. I felt sad seeing him part with some of his cameras recently, suspecting he was preparing for the worst. He then valiantly continued posting from his archives. His style was unmistakable. There is always a hole one notices when someone familiar to us departs. Now he is gone, but part of him lives on in this Forum and the friends he made here.
12-21-2022, 02:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heck, he was young. Sorry to read this. Please accept my condolences.
12-21-2022, 03:34 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Colton is probably the forum member who has most inspired me and I have to say I shed a few tears yesterday when I read this news.

There is another thread on this, perhaps a mod could merge them?

Colton Allen (Swift1) - PentaxForums.com
12-21-2022, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

So sorry to hear about Colton and (if true) Steve. Both were such knowledgeable photographers particularly in the film photography sphere. They will be missed. Condolences to their respective families.
12-21-2022, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you for letting us know, Nick. Very sad news. His work and his tireless effort are not lost. I am thankful that he shared his beautiful images with us.