Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2023, 04:30 AM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thinking further about it, the prism, focusing screen and overlay, shutter, mirror(s) from the K-1, plus the AF and AE sensors and control electronics from either the K-1 or the K-3iii are obvious candidates for re-use in an auto/manual film SLR. The electronics and firmware would have to be re-designed/adapted and re-programmed to suit film. After that, it's a matter of economics as to whether a chassis and body can be adapted. A film loading and winding mechanism would have to be designed. What elements are you dubious about?
All the mechanical elements less the mirror itself. Even then, a film SLR would likely have a simpler exposure meter that might not fit. Re-using highly complex electronics from a modern DSLR is probably overkill for a film SLR and therefore a waste of money and space.

01-17-2023, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Re-using highly complex electronics from a modern DSLR is probably overkill for a film SLR and therefore a waste of money and space.
As an engineer, with some level of understanding of how the aforementioned complex electronics do work, kindly allow me to disagree with your assessment, because there definitely isn't an overkill to reuse specific parts that are needed to control modern full-frame lenses, regarding AF and aperture control. Some aspects of in-camera digital image processing will become redundant. Some microelectronic chips won't be needed, along with their software steering (a.k.a. firmware) but there definitely remains a need for ”complex electronics”. Example: the camera most probably won't have mechanical timing for shutter speed. It will be a digital control for that timing. Not a new special chip but software.
01-17-2023, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CristiC Quote
As an engineer, with some level of understanding of how the aforementioned complex electronics do work, kindly allow me to disagree with your assessment, because there definitely isn't an overkill to reuse specific parts that are needed to control modern full-frame lenses, regarding AF and aperture control. Some aspects of in-camera digital image processing will become redundant. Some microelectronic chips won't be needed, along with their software steering (a.k.a. firmware) but there definitely remains a need for ”complex electronics”. Example: the camera most probably won't have mechanical timing for shutter speed. It will be a digital control for that timing. Not a new special chip but software.
Don’t get me wrong because, as a (now-retired) mechanical engineer I love mechanisms as much as the next person, but I would regard the abandonment of electronic controls for mechanical devices (eg shutters) as something of a backward step. The only thing that gives me pause for thought is the longevity aspect of a new film camera, and the use of dedicated electronic devices that won’t be replaceable in fifty years, as mechanical components can be in fifty year-old cameras now. On the other hand, the (discrete) electronics in my 50 year-old ESII still seem to be working (and are, I think, replaceable with modern discrete components).
01-17-2023, 10:46 PM   #79
Banned

the canon mechanical shutter controls of the F and Ftb series still work.... the electronic components of the canon AE-1 line... DONT work often.

However, the use of a modern DSLR electronic/mechanical shutter as seen on say the nikon D7500 would allow user controlled shutter speeds... that would actually be kickass. Iva been dying for a genuine 1/100 shutter speed as many times,,, the EV scale method of controling ISO in the D7500 makes 1/100 very normal