Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What type of new film camera would you like developed by Pentax?
Minimum technolgy in it, like remake of the Pentax k1000 5240.31%
Much technology in it, like the last film cameras produced before digital 3829.46%
Indifferent (don't care) 1914.73%
I don't think they should make film camer in this digital age 2015.50%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2023, 02:23 PM   #31

My IQ Zoom recently died and my attempts to replace lead to either higher prices than I wanted to pay or lower prices from cameras that had problems. Though I have two K1000 bodies, I don't shoot that format much anymore. I liked the IQ Zoom for capturing images quickly on the fly as additional/alternative aesthetic value along with my other images (4x5, 6x6 and digital.) I would buy another one of something like that in a second. For that I'm not looking for something that's allegedly "good as digital", I want something that looks different than digital. I'd also buy a basic K1000 type body as well.

I see younger people carrying old film cameras all over the place. Many social media outlets are full of channels about shooting film and folks sharing film based imagery. It's very much a thing. When I go to my local camera store film stocks are often on back-order. But most millennials don't go to stores, they order everything off the internet and they have no problem sending film off to get processed and scanned. In fact, that's what I do with all my roll film.

I am excited that Pentax was making a film camera. Since I started with a K1000 (and still occasionally use it), I have a lot of Pentax glass and a fondness for the company name. But when I finally bought a digital camera I went Sony because I wanted full frame and the Pentax offering wasn't convincing to me. The Sony is still only a part of what I shoot, often reserved for things and places where I need stealth and better low light capability. But I can't see ever not shooting film unless I quit making photographs.

01-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the two non-compact film cameras, I see one mechanical SLR and one advanced film camera.

Mechanical SLR:
The K1000, KX and MX come to mind. The K1000 does not have enough features, like MLU, Self-timer and DOF preview. The MX is probably a bit too small and too close in size to the compact film cameras.
That leaves the KX, it fits the bill perfectly and most importantly the chrome version looks like a retro film camera which is what the target audience probably wants. No auto-focus, aperture priority or menus, just a simple manual focus fully mechanical cameras with MLU, DOF and self-timer.

Advanced film camera:
An updated LX seems like an option, but that was a full camera system and I don't see Pentax re-releasing all the LX accessories. A special addition LX could be an option like the LX2000 was, but this camera is still too similar to the mechanical SLR above.

A film K-1 also comes to mind, that would support all the modern DA FF lenses. But I don't see that as an option either, that camera is way too modern & expensive and I don't see a market for it. It's also still 35mm and you can take the same quality pictures as you can with the cheaper mechanical SLR, you just have to work harder.

That leaves medium format as the best option for an advanced film camera. A new 645Niii comes to mind, but I'm not sure auto-focus and film backs are the right way to go. Also 645 negatives while larger than 35mm, are still too small to make an impact with buyers. That leaves a new 67iii & new AE prism, as the best bet. Way bigger negative and way more bang for your buck.

These above two cameras are of course a pipe dream at the moment & many years away. We'll see how the first compact film camera goes....

Phil.
01-03-2023, 03:54 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
with aperture info in VF, DoF, mirror lock-up... not the most basic of the K1000 family.

Like the *ist
01-03-2023, 05:31 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A new film camera — Wow!

Then Pentax marketing department just piles one great idea on top of another. It makes you wonder how they keep the lid on.

01-03-2023, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
For the two non-compact film cameras, I see one mechanical SLR and one advanced film camera.

Mechanical SLR:
The K1000, KX and MX come to mind. The K1000 does not have enough features, like MLU, Self-timer and DOF preview. The MX is probably a bit too small and too close in size to the compact film cameras.
That leaves the KX, it fits the bill perfectly and most importantly the chrome version looks like a retro film camera which is what the target audience probably wants. No auto-focus, aperture priority or menus, just a simple manual focus fully mechanical cameras with MLU, DOF and self-timer.

Advanced film camera:
An updated LX seems like an option, but that was a full camera system and I don't see Pentax re-releasing all the LX accessories. A special addition LX could be an option like the LX2000 was, but this camera is still too similar to the mechanical SLR above.

A film K-1 also comes to mind, that would support all the modern DA FF lenses. But I don't see that as an option either, that camera is way too modern & expensive and I don't see a market for it. It's also still 35mm and you can take the same quality pictures as you can with the cheaper mechanical SLR, you just have to work harder.

That leaves medium format as the best option for an advanced film camera. A new 645Niii comes to mind, but I'm not sure auto-focus and film backs are the right way to go. Also 645 negatives while larger than 35mm, are still too small to make an impact with buyers. That leaves a new 67iii & new AE prism, as the best bet. Way bigger negative and way more bang for your buck.

These above two cameras are of course a pipe dream at the moment & many years away. We'll see how the first compact film camera goes....

Phil.
I am torn with the thought of a 67III and an autofocus version of the LX..... oh well time to start dreaming but settle for a sweet little Espio 35 or some such
01-03-2023, 11:21 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Questions are limiting. I'd get anything based on 120 film, panoramic also, with sturdy modern body design and electronics, similar to digital bodies. No way I'll buy any 35mm film camera new from Ricoh, simply too much film grain.
01-04-2023, 01:40 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery
A film camera that supports the KAF4 mount (electomagnetic diagphram and silent autofocus) would allow compatibility with the latest D FA lenses, including the recent addition to the FA Limited line-up, the 21mm f2.4. I would expect that film fans with older Pentax bodies reaching the point where they can no longer be serviced would be tempted by this, especially the potential to use the latest lenses. Yes, it would be a niche and expensive product but that is the market Pentax is playing in these days.

01-04-2023, 03:49 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if there will be SLR with A mode then adding KAF4 will not be big issue I suppose. Even battery could be small as all it will need to power will be AF drive, AF sensor and diafragm. But I doubt it will be implemented in full mechanical SLR, maybe in cheaper(?) version.
01-04-2023, 06:25 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I would prefer Pentax to develop and produce an affordable monochrome digital SLR ILC comparable to a KP.

Philip
01-04-2023, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's interesting the mention that these new film cameras from Pentax, should support the latest HD D-FA lenses designed for the K-1.

I'm not sure I'd trust these digital designed lenses on film with their funky coatings, until someone tests them using every type of film currently available from slide film to IR film using skylight to dark red filters.

Unfortunately this is not really possible at the moment, as I believe you can only use these HD D-FA lenses on an existing Pentax film camera either at the maximum or minimum aperture only.

Phil.
01-06-2023, 02:25 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's interesting the mention that these new film cameras from Pentax, should support the latest HD D-FA lenses designed for the K-1.

I'm not sure I'd trust these digital designed lenses on film with their funky coatings, until someone tests them using every type of film currently available from slide film to IR film using skylight to dark red filters.

Unfortunately this is not really possible at the moment, as I believe you can only use these HD D-FA lenses on an existing Pentax film camera either at the maximum or minimum aperture only.

Phil.
To use these new HD FA lenses without aperture ring but with electric contacts, it makes more sense to go for the 2nd option , a film camera with electronics...including -why not- autofocus.
The first ’mechanical ’ option needs aperture ring on lenses...which till now are plenty available, but not for the newest lens models and designs.

And we probably need again uv and other filters....
01-07-2023, 05:40 AM   #42
Pentaxian

For context. Two related articles - the Nytimes probably behind paywall?

The Hottest Gen Z Gadget Is a 20-Year-Old Digital Camera - The New York Times

Photographer Becomes Internet Hit for Expired Film and Unusual Cameras | PetaPixel

I am sure they are having interesting conversations at Pentax. Engineers, designers and marketing might have very different ideas about where to position Pentax.
01-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearly there are varied preferences for how many advanced features should be included.
I suspect few will be completely happy with whatever products are finally released.

If the mechanical SLR Pentax eventually releases is "too electronic" for my tastes
I will appreciate my classic older Pentax cameras and lenses that much more.

Chris
01-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #44
Closed Account

Original Poster

Mechanical SLR:

Advanced film camera:

Phil.
Both of these, I do believe, are SLR film cameras, and what the Pentax rep. said in the video was that they will first make some sort of point and shoot camera - similar to what they called a prosumer camera in years past...

I think it's unfortunate that they are doing so. Personally, I believe that even the younger crowd wants an SLR type film camera to satisfy their experimental hobby for film photography - what say you?
01-07-2023, 02:29 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I think it's unfortunate that they are doing so. Personally, I believe that even the younger crowd wants an SLR type film camera to satisfy their experimental hobby for film photography - what say you?
Pentax is probably after the Fujifilm Instax mini crowd with their compact cameras. I guess there is a market for compacts, just hope that the Pentax ones don't come in pink...

These are probably easier/cheaper to make than a SLR, so I guess that's why they're up to bat first.

Phil.