Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What type of new film camera would you like developed by Pentax?
Minimum technolgy in it, like remake of the Pentax k1000 5240.31%
Much technology in it, like the last film cameras produced before digital 3829.46%
Indifferent (don't care) 1914.73%
I don't think they should make film camer in this digital age 2015.50%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
Closed Account

Poll - Pentax new film camera

Poll - Pentax new film camera

Would you like Pentax to develop a film camera that has minimal technology, to keep the price down & keep with the flavor of what original film cameras were, or would you like Pentax to develop a film camera that has much technology in it, similar to the generation of film cameras that were produced right before digital cameras started taking over (?)

Please vote in the poll and leave your comment(s) here also.

Personally, I'd like them to remake a film camera that has minimal technology in it, perhaps a remake of something like the Pentax k-1000.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-02-2023 at 07:32 PM.
01-02-2023, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #2

I want a PentaXpan
01-02-2023, 07:57 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GrimlyFiendish Quote
I want a PentaXpan
I would be very surprised, but this will for sure be a bold move that no one expect. The closest they've been to the panoramic format was with panoramic mode hiding part of the film on 35 mm
01-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My opinion is that if it significantly delays design of a next generation medium format camera, or a next generation K-1, Pentax should not produce a film camera.

If it will be a film camera that remains in production, or at least is sold, for two decades, it might be okay. I loved my ME Super, but while I might like to indulge in shooting a roll or two of film, I don't think I would shoot more because the size of the images are limited, and the quality of the DSLR images are superior. I don't see much of a market for a film camera.

A better investment would be for Pentax to market a Pentax phone with outstanding camera capabilities that runs a series of ads (periodically updated) when the user turns the phone on inviting phone users to buy Pentax's DSLR cameras for more refined photography.

01-02-2023, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Manual film camera with the ability to use the latest and greatest lenses, matrix metering and digital readouts in the viewfinder. Weather resistance would be a big plus but not required.

Under absolutely no circumstance would I want autofocus in this camera.
01-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
My opinion is that if it significantly delays design of a next generation medium format camera, or a next generation K-1, Pentax should not produce a film camera.

I agree that it shouldn't compromise the release of a next generation K-1, as people have waited and waited on that.... Then again, the last K-1 model was released in 2018, which by Pentax time lines/standards, wasn't that long ago....

Should it compromise the release of a new medium format, 645, digital medium format camera? At first I was willing to compromise that, as I initially thought that people have been waiting, what seems like, forever for a new K-1 type camera to come out - but then I read on wikipedia that the k-1 ii was released in 2018. It's been since 2014 since a new 645 (z) digital medium format camera has come out. So after giving it more thought, I think actually I'd be willing to compromise the release of a new K-1 and not compromise the release of a new 645 for the development and production of a film camera. I actually completely flip flopped and changed my mind on this, as initially I thought to not compromise a new K-1 and to compromise a new 645 digital camera.

My only thought that a new 645 type camera could be compromised, is that there simply isn't as much demand for these medium formats as there are for the full frame k-1 type...

Hmmm, thoughts thoughts thoughts.....

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-02-2023 at 09:05 PM.
01-02-2023, 09:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

Since they have said the first camera will be a compact, the question is should it be more Ricoh 500G (rangefinder), PC35AF, IQzoom, or Ricoh GR1. What I want in this camera is for it to be successful, which means attracting new, young photographers (not my demographic.) My best guess is that it should be a new GR1, a film version of the digital GRIII, with both automatic and manual modes. Lots of advanced technology to make this happen. But it probably needs to be reasonably priced, that may call for some tough compromises.

The second camera, presumably a basic SLR, is tougher. It has to work well with every lens Pentax has ever made which requires some electronics and a control wheel, and a good split prism viewfinder. Matrix metering, sure. Auto focus I think not, it would make it into a digital camera with a film sensor. Again, my goal for this camera is for it to be successful for Pentax with a new demographic. I have plenty of old, well functioning film cameras, so it's not for me.

My interest would be for a basic medium format camera. Unfortunately that seems unlikely.

01-02-2023, 09:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think their main target market is younger folks who want to get into analog photography - hence the objective they mentioned in the video of starting with a compact "point and shoot" type of camera first (Offering #1). Then I could see them making something like a Spotmatic or K1000 type camera (Offering #2) - but I'm not sure if that would be AF capable or not. It would be fine with me if it were AF capable, and could use any K-mount lens (AF or MF), maybe with some auto exposure capability or at least a meter. However, I think if it had the features of a K1000 (with built in meter, but MF) that would be a solid offering for the small but enthusiastic target market. Young film enthusiasts would have a new camera (with a warranty) that could use the large number of legacy K-mount lenses, plus I'm sure Pentax could offer a couple new lenses as well. Finally I'd like to see a more sophisticated film camera, an extension of the MZ-S or Z-1P in terms of capability (Offering #3) - but I fear that this would be a bad business decision for them, the market may be just two small for a sophisticated film camera. They may be wise to put out #1, see if it generates any sales and market support, then try #2 and maybe leave it at that. We'll see. I'd be interested in buying one of the offerings just as a curiosity and to support the "cause." However, I already have 15 different working Pentax models from the 1957 AP through the K-1 Mark II, so I can't say I really need one.
01-02-2023, 10:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Would you like Pentax to develop a film camera that has minimal technology, to keep the price down & keep with the flavor of what original film cameras were
What makes you think this sort of camera will keep the price down? I would think a film camera with all the latest (Pentax) technology would be cheaper to produce. And it would have to compete with the many millions of Pentax mechanical cameras already out there, a large amount of which are still in pretty good condition & serviceable/repairable.
01-02-2023, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Going back to film is not something that really appeals to me. I loved 35mm photography back in the day, but now I've moved on. It took me a long time to finally transition to digital and I don't really want to go back. Besides, If I were to do so, I've still got a half-dozen Minolta SLRs on hand, so I'm covered.
01-02-2023, 11:54 PM   #11
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
What makes you think this sort of camera will keep the price down? I would think a film camera with all the latest (Pentax) technology would be cheaper to produce. And it would have to compete with the many millions of Pentax mechanical cameras already out there, a large amount of which are still in pretty good condition & serviceable/repairable.
Hmmm, it just seems to be logical, as Spock would say, that a film camera without a lot of technology built into it, would be more affordable to make and buy than one with a lot of tech in it...

Hmmm, but i guess there is a case to be made, that since they are so geared toward making technological DSLRs now, that it would be simply not cost that much more for them to keep doing it with a modern film camera...

Hmmm.....

---------- Post added 01-02-23 at 11:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Going back to film is not something that really appeals to me. I loved 35mm photography back in the day, but now I've moved on. It took me a long time to finally transition to digital and I don't really want to go back. Besides, If I were to do so, I've still got a half-dozen Minolta SLRs on hand, so I'm covered.

Yep, I think the target audience for new film cameras, are the much younger generation of consumers that don't have a film camera but want to get all or go all retro and get into it - they probably also already own a new vinyl record player.

I just did a quick search on Amazon, and there are lots of brand new vinyl record players on the market. I searched for a Sony one and the first one to pop up was a record player that has built in blue tooth, USB and also the ability to rip a song to an mp3 file.... Interesting!
01-03-2023, 12:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with @MadBill that a Ricoh 500g would make sense. They are small, light and very capable. They have a light meter (although mine doesn't, it fried itself) and rangefinder so you have everything you need in an eminently pocketable unit. Also, they have made it before so could just update, thereby spending less on R&D. Film is massively on the up, some said its a reaction to phone cameras taking nearly all the input away from photographers! As its a burgeoning market, why not be the only big name camera company to invest. It fits nicely in our DSLR niche
01-03-2023, 01:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Hmmm, it just seems to be logical, as Spock would say, that a film camera without a lot of technology built into it, would be more affordable to make and buy than one with a lot of tech in it...
It depends on what you mean by "technology", but todays cameras based on electronics is cheaper to manufacture than mechanical cameras.
And if they can re-use parts already used for producing DSLR, it saves them even more as the parts are already on stock and they do not have to invest as much on stocked parts.

So for saving as much cost as possible a camera based on KF would most likely be the cheapest route. Kind of what they did in the past with *ist SLR and *ist-D DSLR.
01-03-2023, 01:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I've already answered this poll on the "other forum", so I'll not repeat all that here, but, in retrospect, I think the major stumbling block to a film renaissance will be the sheer cost of film and processing, let alone the loss of immediacy that everyone has got used to in this digital age.
It would seem there's no longer any C-41 processing available within "reachable" distance locally, so there's the added cost and delays of postage both ways (no longer cheap) … I'd even be surprised if I could buy film locally, apart possibly from that in a single-use "party" camera, so there's another limitation for anyone wanting to start out in film, and don't even suggest "doing it yourself" … have you seen the asking prices for s/h tanks, reels etc., and you've still got to find the chemicals!
Very much a niche market … Lomo https://www.lomography.com/ seem to be managing to maintain an "alternative" presence, maybe Pentax can do the same

Last edited by kypfer; 01-03-2023 at 06:22 AM. Reason: sp:
01-03-2023, 02:00 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think first one should be bells and whistles compact. I think GR with GR III tech (AF, metering) inside. For last offering (mechanical SLR) I think something like Spotmatic or K1000 will be best.