Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #1

ME and Program Plus, Film Door Does Not Close!

These have sat around for a bit and both are experiencing the same problem. The door doesn't engage when I close it. I have to "push" the edge of the film door inward, as if the door has stretched out a bit. See my attached picture, hard to explain in words. Door might also be a bit loose when closed. Will replacing the light seal solve these problems? Are there any adjustments that can be done to the door to improve closing? I've ordered a seal kit from Jon Goodman and will do the repairs, maybe that will help.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf pentaxdoor-14146.pdf (35.2 KB, 756 views)
12-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

My ME Super pops open if it hits my guts when I run.

Let it be said, though, there a few thing gaffer tape cannot fix.
12-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There may be two causes, I'd check them in this order:
1 - the latch on the camera itself may be dirty and sticky. It won't engage the edge of the door unless pushed.
2 - the door may be bent a bit. Check that everything lines and aligns well. New foam should make things more tight, but if bent you'll have to figure out in what direction and try to bend it the other way - gently and not much! Also, there may be a prong on the edge of the door that goes into the camera body near the hinge side. This is what resets and activates the frame counter. If your counter works fine then at least that bit is engaging properly - if you do bend the door, make sure this bit remains engaged.
12-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smata67 Quote
These have sat around for a bit and both are experiencing the same problem. The door doesn't engage when I close it. I have to "push" the edge of the film door inward, as if the door has stretched out a bit. See my attached picture, hard to explain in words. Door might also be a bit loose when closed. Will replacing the light seal solve these problems? Are there any adjustments that can be done to the door to improve closing? I've ordered a seal kit from Jon Goodman and will do the repairs, maybe that will help.
Replacing the seals is certainly a good idea with these old cameras. Otherwise, apart from very slightly bending the backs, there ar no adjustments available. But bending the backs shouldn't really be necessary, as these do (at least in my experience) not tend to lose their shape. After all, the construction is fairly (with respect to usual useage) stiff.

Ben

12-31-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Renewing the light seals might well provide the solution. Unevenly worn light seals can make the ME Super difficult to keep closed, as this makes the door buckle slightly and changes the angle at which the latch meets the body.
12-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it is the door latch mechanism that is sticking and not engaging the door, try a wee bit of lighter fluid on it. It may help to free things up and it evaporates without leaving a residue. Lighter fluid is one of the mainstays of working on old cameras. You'll also find it handy, sparingly applied, when removing the old light seals. Be sure not to let any gunk from the old seals get on the film pressure plate or shutter curtains. I notice that you've already ordered a light seal kit, which is good. But I will add that you can press other materials into service as well. I have used black yarn and black felt, both of which work just fine.
12-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
Looks like I certainly came to the right place, thanks for all the valuable info. Jon Goodman of re-sealing fame told me this is something he has seen often, as people tend to close the door by pushing in the center and causing the door to warp inward at that point, bowing out the latching end. I've also had a problem way in the past with the door popping open, probably same issue, improper alignment at the latch due to door bowing. I'll inspect a bit closely when I get a chance. I'm not sure I'm comfortable attempting to reverse the bow if that is the case.