Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps a stupid question, but here goes, 3rd party AF lens on manual focus camera

Dear Board,

I realize that Pentax K-mount lenses are backwards compatible with most current Pentax AF cameras, including digital cameras.

What I don't know is if I had Pentax K mount AF lens from Sigma, or Tamron, would it manually focus on my ME Super?

I'm thinking it should in MF mode on the lens, but I'd like reassurance.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA

03-10-2023, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

yes it should the big deal would be an aperture ring
03-10-2023, 10:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Autofocus lenses tend to have poorly dampened focusing action. So achieving reliable and repeatable results may be hard.
03-10-2023, 10:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a Tamron AF 4.0-5.6 LD Tele-macro on my Super Program with excellent results.

03-11-2023, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
yes it should the big deal would be an aperture ring
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Autofocus lenses tend to have poorly dampened focusing action. So achieving reliable and repeatable results may be hard.
^^^ Both these points ^^^
Newer designs often/usually don't have aperture rings … they also are often only fully compatible with APS-C cameras, so you can end up with various degrees of vignetting, depending on the focal length chosen (on a zoom) or the aperture in use.
The focus action, apart from being "loose", is often relatively short throw, so setting it accurately, especially on a longer lens or with a wide aperture, can be a test of patience best tried on a tripod
Personally, I'd steer clear of a/f lenses on an m/f camera unless it was something special and/or cheap
03-12-2023, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll just add that some of these lenses can be had inexpensively these days.

A 28-80 lens on a broken AF body, for example, might be $20 but a really nice lens for your ME Super if you can live with a loose focus ring.
I have a late 90s Tokina 20-35 that is great fun on my K1000 even if it is a bit of a pain to focus. A MF 20-35 of that quality would have cost a lot more.

As Aaron mentioned, as long as it has an aperture ring, you should be good...

-Eric
03-12-2023, 03:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used an af lense on my P3 once. I think it was a 28-70. It worked just fine. The other thing I noticed was that both the body and lens were black. So astheticly speaking, it looked awesome.

03-13-2023, 02:16 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lens has an aperture ring it should be usable with a manual focus camera. I'm using an F-series (AF) lens with a Program A camera and it works fine. I've never found the undampened focusing ring to be a problem. It's very quick and effortless to turn when focusing. The focus can be changed from infinity to the closest position with just one turn. I like it even more than dedicated manual focus lenses.