Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2023, 09:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weird Pentax LX issue

Hello,

Bought an LX from goodwill and its clearly been sitting in this case for about 25 years. I've cleaned it up, and everything electronically appears to be working including all the slow speeds and lightmeter. I did find something that isn't working though. On mirror up mode specifically at "electronic speeds" (less then 1/75th or whatever) it won't complete the shutter release, and the curtain and mirror get stuck. After some amount of time (seems random) they will randomly decide to complete and then its fine again. Was just wondering if anyone knows why it wouldn't be working on mirror up mode on electronic shutter speeds, yet electronic shutter speeds work as intended when the mirror up modes off.

Minor update: it seems to mostly fix it if i massage the iso and exposure comp dials as suggested by others online, would my assumption be correct that by properly cleaning the top of the camera it might just fix this issue entirely? I read somewhere that the Lx top is a pain to get off and it has seals? I'm pretty good at taking apart other pentax cameras like the MX and I'm wondering how hard this would be in comparison to something like that

Last edited by BlueJayCom; 03-19-2023 at 09:49 PM.
03-19-2023, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

First, were you shooting on auto without film in the camera?
If so, that is the problem.
If not......
The LX is prone to corrosion on both the ISO resistor and the aperture cam follower resistor.
Both can quite often be adequately cleaned by moving the ISO dial from lock to lock several dozen times to clean that resistor, and in the case of the aperture came follower resistor, move the aperture cam follower lever (it's in the mirror box) again from lock to lock several dozen times.
It's something to try before you take the thing apart.
It could also be that the mirror is sticking to the foam seal at the top of the mirror box.
03-19-2023, 11:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
First, were you shooting on auto without film in the camera?
If so, that is the problem.
If not......
The LX is prone to corrosion on both the ISO resistor and the aperture cam follower resistor.
Both can quite often be adequately cleaned by moving the ISO dial from lock to lock several dozen times to clean that resistor, and in the case of the aperture came follower resistor, move the aperture cam follower lever (it's in the mirror box) again from lock to lock several dozen times.
It's something to try before you take the thing apart.
It could also be that the mirror is sticking to the foam seal at the top of the mirror box.
The auto mode without film works just regularly, it's strictly the mirror up mode. I don't think it's a foam thing either since I replaced the foam and it was quite crusty (like really dried up and hard) so I doubt much of it would have crept deep into the camera over the years. The iso dial thing only seems to be temporarily making the mirror up mode complete so I might just need to take it apart to fix.
03-22-2023, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you do end up taking it apart, please take pictures and document the process here so others can see how you did this. Thanks.

11-27-2023, 09:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

Did you figure this out?
My new to me LX at anything slower than 1/60 the mirror stays up and speeds are way off

If there’s a magic fix I’m keen to know even if there’s some DIY
12-02-2023, 02:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grimnicholas Quote
Did you figure this out?
My new to me LX at anything slower than 1/60 the mirror stays up and speeds are way off

If there’s a magic fix I’m keen to know even if there’s some DIY
I didn't actually end up doing anything, a combination of using new batteries and just working the camera eventually made the shutter just work properly again so I didn't take it apart.