Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-23-2023, 06:21 PM   #1

Pentax MX with AF280T Flash Compatibility

Hello,

I recently bought a Pentax AF280T Flash, and quite naively thought id be able to get it to work on manual mode with my MX.
Does anyone know if it is possible to connect the two, or if I need to use it with a flash gun?

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you :-)

03-23-2023, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The AF280T should work on manual & automatic with your Pentax MX. Mine did many years ago. I’m not sure what you mean by “if I need to use it with a flash gun”.
03-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hey thanks so much for your help and speedy reply!

I can't seem to get them to sync up together sadly, despite both seemingly fully working.
Sorry I'm not super knowledgable when it comes to using flashes - I meant a hot shoe grip so the flash wouldn't be physically mounted on my camera.

The MX doesn't seem to be listed as a compatible camera in the AF280T manual so I am just wondering if I might need a cable for them to connect better?
03-23-2023, 07:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

They won’t sync automatically. The MX is not capable of that with any flash. You will have to set the shutter speed to 1/60 or below & set an appropriate aperture on the lens depending on manual or automatic flash.

If you don’t want to mount the flash on the camera you will need some sort of flash bracket & a sync cord. As far as I remember, the AF280T doesn’t have a sync plug so you will also need some sort of hotshoe adapter.

Last edited by rpjallan; 03-23-2023 at 07:46 PM.
03-23-2023, 07:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ahh legend, thank you! I will give that a go.
03-24-2023, 01:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try checking these reviews out
PENTAX AF 280T reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

PENTAX Hot Shoe Grip reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Basically the flash needs a wired connection to the camera it uses a cable up to 5 m long

A great reliable flash unit, enjoy it
03-24-2023, 03:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The AF280 has basically three modes of operation :

1) Manual : you control its output, although it offers only two levels, "H" (full) and "L" (low)

2) Auto (in the old sense) : its own photosensor controls its own output, the AF280T has two sub-modes (red and green) which recommend different lens apertures which you must set on the camera yourself. These are not different "powers" by the way.

3) TTL : The camera controls the AF280T's output by shutting off the light when the film has had enough.

The first two modes work independently of the camera. But for the TTL mode the camera needs to be designed for it and the different camera brands all have different communication standards. Older cameras like the MX do not do TTL anyway, it does not have the contact for it, but any camera with a hot shoe or a sync socket can use the manual and Auto modes.

The AF280T also produces an electrical signal for an indicating light in the viewfinder of some cameras, when it is charged up and ready to fire. This duplicates the "Ready" light on the back of the AF280T. The same "Ready" signal will also set the shutter of some cameras to sync speed automatically. The MX does none of this and does not have the contact for it, in fact it has only the single central trigger contact in its hot shoe. This article explains hotshoe contacts: Hotshoe Configurations
QuoteOriginally posted by nicozanzibar Quote
if I need to use it with a flash gun?
The AF280T is a flashgun. It can be confusing because not everyone uses the same terminology. Some people (particularly in North America) call them "strobes", others "Speedlites" or "Speedlights" which are actually brand names of Canon and Nikon (those two are always giving their kit similar names).

You can simply fit the AF280T into the hot shoe of your MX and use it in any mode except TTL. As rpjallan said, you need to set the shutter speed to 1/60 (its sync speed) or slower (like 1/30); that is why it is marked in red as "60x" on the shutter dial. The flash will still fire if you set the camera to a faster shutter speed (like 1/125) but the photo will not be properly lit. If the flash does not work there is something wrong with either the camera or the AF280T. Does it flash if you press the "Test" button?

You can also use the flash separated from the camera, yards away if you want, by using a long sync lead plugged into the sync socket on the camera. However, the AF280T is not designed for this so you will need a small adaptor (inexpensive) to fit onto its foot that offers a sync lead socket.

The MX is a very good camera, and the AF280T is a reasonable flashgun although not over-powerful and rather lacking in modes. Beware of its weak battery door catch. I have owned several of them.

03-24-2023, 09:21 AM   #8

The number of contacts on the flash shoe on the camera and foot on the flash will give you an idea of what each is capable of. The less contacts the less functions.

At the very least one extra contact is needed for the flash to set the sync shutter speed and signal ready (dedication).

Read more on the evolution of the Pentax hot shoe:
Flash Systems Evolution, Features and Operation | The K-Mount Page
03-29-2023, 09:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the flash is not working on the MX, will any flash?

It may be that either the camera shoe or the flash foot has a problem that needs to be fixed.

It is simple to test the flash, just short the foot with a piece of wire between the pin on the bottom of the foot and the little metal contact on the side of the foot. If the flash is on and charged, it should fire when you do this.

To test the camera, you really need another flash (or a multimeter)...

But that flash would be a great choice for a MX...

-Eric