Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2023, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's hard to remember that the mass market, the money maker, the entry level is the point and shoot, as it was even for myself. I often think of my first Yashica SLR as a 13 year old as my first film camera, but in reality it wasn't. There was a Yashica Mat TLR before that and before that it started with my parents having and using a Kodak Instamatic point and shoot which I eventually played with and eventually found it too simple.

So as much as I'd love to see Ricoh/Pentax's first new film camera be a modern K1000 or KM or K2, there may be no point in doing so if there isn't a critical mass of film users to support Kodak, Fujifilm, Ilford, etc, products and film labs. It's hard to take that leap of faith that the rebirth of their film camera system must or should start with a 1970's style Ricoh/Pentax point & shoot.

Right now my most engaged and enthusiastic digital students are shooting with the K-70. Those are the only new DSLRs in my class; everyone else has hand-me-downs which are fine, but the 'ownership' is not the same as using a camera that is your own. I know film classes like mine are uncommon, but if there was a new 35mm Pentax K-mount SLR, Pentax would have a monopoly and new gen of loyal Pentaxians worldwide.

04-12-2023, 05:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
but if there was a new 35mm Pentax K-mount SLR, Pentax would have a monopoly and new gen of loyal Pentaxians worldwide.
I agree. This is thinking outside of the box mentality. For Pentax, if they are not up to speed and have pretty much missed the boat on mirrorless, why not try a new area. A film Pentax will not have a sensor, which is the heart of a digital camera, and that is a good thing. The sensors in the current Pentax digital cameras are supplied by a competitor who controls their destiny. So breaking away from that is good for Pentax. For me, film is a no go due to cost. Cameras will be cheaper than digital but the cost to play is much higher in the long run.
04-12-2023, 10:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While it is weird that the survey wa sin Japanese only, I filled it and gave them my opinion (in english)
After working in a japanese conglomerate I still don;t understand that inwards looking mode of several large companies, but I guess having a few crazy daredevils giving them feedback from the outside will prove to be very valuable
04-18-2023, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I agree. This is thinking outside of the box mentality. For Pentax, if they are not up to speed and have pretty much missed the boat on mirrorless, why not try a new area. A film Pentax will not have a sensor, which is the heart of a digital camera, and that is a good thing. The sensors in the current Pentax digital cameras are supplied by a competitor who controls their destiny. So breaking away from that is good for Pentax. For me, film is a no go due to cost. Cameras will be cheaper than digital but the cost to play is much higher in the long run.
Just to be clear, Pentax didn't miss the boat. The K-01 was ahead of its time, and the Q-mount cameras were very well-designed. However not everyone wants a mirrorless camera. I own a Nikon Z 9 but it's my least-used digital camera due to it being mirrorless and it's not as enjoyable to use.

I completed the survey. Thanks for the translation.

04-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Just to be clear, Pentax didn't miss the boat. The K-01 was ahead of its time, and the Q-mount cameras were very well-designed. However not everyone wants a mirrorless camera. I own a Nikon Z 9 but it's my least-used digital camera due to it being mirrorless and it's not as enjoyable to use.

I completed the survey. Thanks for the translation.
I don’t want to sidetrack… but the big failure was a lack of follow up and models with EVF.
04-19-2023, 06:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
The K-01 was ahead of its time
Indeed with K-01 they were ahead of the curve. Then they dropped the ball. No fault of their own. Pentax was being bought and sold and they were too busy with that so no time to focus on the market shift and changes.

FYI, I am now shooting with a Sony A7RIV and love the super hi-res images I get but do not like the mirrorless experience. The last Pentax I owned was the K1 and it was a pleasure to use and had better color. I needed higher res beyond 36MP and medium format was too bulky and expensive to get into. So, the Sony was the compromise. As soon as a higher res K1 is available, I may switch back to Pentax, I still have six AF lenses from Pentax that I have not sold.

Z9 is beast of a camera but I did not like the no-noise electronic shutter. It is kind of spooky shooting with that camera. The image quality is fantastic though. For a little more than the price of a Z9, I got the A7RIV and five Tamron lenses! Super happy with the Tamrons too.

---------- Post added 04-19-23 at 06:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I don’t want to sidetrack… but the big failure was a lack of follow up and models with EVF.
They were being bought and sold and people were probably anxious about their jobs. Tough spot to be in. As a result, they took their eyes off the ball so to speak. Just my take.