Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2023, 04:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another MZ Mirror Thread

Hi all,

I thought I'd take my neglected MZ-M body on holiday as a backup for my MZ-5N this year. I further thought it sensible to check the mirror gear wasn't going to let me down and, sure enough, after firing the shutter a few times, it went.

My question is, having done a couple of MZ-5Ns successfully (and an MZ-3 not so), is there anything about the MZ-M that I should know about when replacing the gear? I imagine the stripdown is basically as the MZ-5N, but simpler without the capacitor for the flash in the way.

Thanks,

Mark

04-28-2023, 04:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mzsaunders Quote
Hi all,

I thought I'd take my neglected MZ-M body on holiday as a backup for my MZ-5N this year. I further thought it sensible to check the mirror gear wasn't going to let me down and, sure enough, after firing the shutter a few times, it went.

My question is, having done a couple of MZ-5Ns successfully (and an MZ-3 not so), is there anything about the MZ-M that I should know about when replacing the gear? I imagine the stripdown is basically as the MZ-5N, but simpler without the capacitor for the flash in the way.

Thanks,

Mark
It's been a while since I've done an MZ-M but I don't remember any big surprises. If you can do a 5n you can do an M. Good luck!
04-28-2023, 06:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vandergus Quote
It's been a while since I've done an MZ-M but I don't remember any big surprises. If you can do a 5n you can do an M. Good luck!
Thanks - that's what I thought!
04-28-2023, 07:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
When I did the previous repairs to MZ-5N and MZ-3 in 2021, I followed a good pictorial instruction that I found via PF. I can't now find it now - any ideas? I have the factory manual, but found the pictorial rally easy to follow. I suspect it was created by a forum member.

04-28-2023, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mzsaunders Quote
When I did the previous repairs to MZ-5N and MZ-3 in 2021, I followed a good pictorial instruction that I found via PF. I can't now find it now - any ideas? I have the factory manual, but found the pictorial rally easy to follow. I suspect it was created by a forum member.
There's a nice iFixit page for the ZX-5n that covers a few of the most common repairs.

Pentax ZX-5n Repair - iFixit
04-28-2023, 07:16 PM   #6
Forum Member

ipernity: Pentax zx/mz mirror motor repair by 5cent

I used this when I did mine.
04-29-2023, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vandergus Quote
There's a nice iFixit page for the ZX-5n that covers a few of the most common repairs.

Pentax ZX-5n Repair - iFixit
A few years ago I sent my ZX-5N out for CLA/repair to Garry Airapetov at Garry's Camera Repair here in Illinois. It had all the symptoms of a broken mirror motor gear, but Garry indicated that the problem was actually the mirror assembly lever. He fixed it and did a CLA all for only $65 plus $8 shipping. After looking at your link and seeing what is involved in repairing that lever, I am sure glad I sent it to him! Good luck to all with the repair work - Richard.

05-02-2023, 12:29 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
All done! I managed it without recourse to a soldering iron and without following any instructions, just from what I remember from earlier tasks. Not having to get the flash capacitors out of the way was the main difference between this and the MZ3/MZ5. Here's the procedure (sorry, without photos)
  • Remove all outer housing parts
  • Remove baseplate and loose gear wheels
  • Remove the screw holding the DOF preview button bracket and push the bracket to one side
  • Remove lens mount, remove lens release button bracket, refit lens mount (more on this later)
  • Remove the three accessible screws on the gear box
  • You will then be able to open box at the bottom far enough to remove the lower grey gear wheel to access and remove the split motor gear wheel.
  • Getting the new wheel on is a bit of a faff, but doable with some patience. I put a small amount of silicone lube on the end of the spindle with a cocktail stick. Once it's on and positioned, return the grey wheel to the box, replace the box screws and reverse the dismantling process.

Regarding the lens mount, the lens release bracket blocks the gearbox from opening sufficiently, which is why it needs to come off. You refit the mount to prevent the ring that controls the aperture from dropping out while you are working on the body. I forgot about this and spent more time getting that back in than I did fixing the motor gear. There are two long springs that sit behind it and connect to the ring and the body. It's very fiddly getting these connected at the four locations. In the end, I actually glued the springs to the ring with a tiny bit of superglue applied to the stud with the end of a cocktail stick.

I was hoping to be able to make a small upgrade to the M, by swapping in an adjustable diopter eyepiece from another MZ series body, but neither of those in my parts kit (MZ-5N and MZ-6) would fit. It might be possible, but the task has "repair to death" written all over it!

Last edited by mzsaunders; 05-07-2023 at 11:03 PM.