Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2023, 12:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-mount SLR?

Hi guys, need advice

I was M42 film shooter my whole life with Zenits, Prakticas, Spotmatic etc. Now, with possibility of new (YAY) Pentax K-Mount film camera I am thinking of getting something nice to start testing and building lens setup in K-Mount for my future brand new film SLR

So, question is easy - what Pentax K-Mount camera? Something other then K-1000 (I have Spotmatic and I like to have something else). As for subject it is documentary of a city look (street, but without portraits etc) and train photography. I would prefer old-style camera body, not modern one like PZ. Anything interesting in K-mount film world to look at? Or just grab LX and be happy?

05-04-2023, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Hi guys, need advice

I was M42 film shooter my whole life with Zenits, Prakticas, Spotmatic etc. Now, with possibility of new (YAY) Pentax K-Mount film camera I am thinking of getting something nice to start testing and building lens setup in K-Mount for my future brand new film SLR

So, question is easy - what Pentax K-Mount camera? Something other then K-1000 (I have Spotmatic and I like to have something else). As for subject it is documentary of a city look (street, but without portraits etc) and train photography. I would prefer old-style camera body, not modern one like PZ. Anything interesting in K-mount film world to look at? Or just grab LX and be happy?
Pentax MX or KX. You can use your M42 lenses with an adaptor.
05-04-2023, 01:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Anything interesting in K-mount film world to look at? Or just grab LX and be happy?
Given the age of the film cameras I would advise you keep things simple. MX or ME or Super-A/Super Program. Later cameras like the Z range will have the familiar e-dials and more features.....but more to go wrong too.
05-04-2023, 03:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There were also quite a few other brands sporting PK mounts. Cosina, Ricoh, Chinon and others so a wide field.

05-04-2023, 03:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MX or KX. KX has a Spotmatic sized body, but more features. MX is the smallest SLR, smaller than Olympus OM by a half mm...

Sadly most Pentax manual SLRs have electronic shutters and are 30 years old or older...The ZX/MZ-M has a plastic mirror gear that will break and metal replacements no longer seem to be available. I have 2 LX bodies that both have electronic issues (battery drain), no longer serviceable (mechanical shutter speeds are limited to 1/75 to 1/2000).

Ricoh made K-mount SLRs, most were electronic, but there are mechanical options (XR-1, KR-5)

Cosina made lots of mechanical SLRs (CT-1 Super is the basis of many rebranded models like the Ricoh KR-5 Super II)

Vivitar was selling mechanical SLRs right up till a few years age (Most were made by Cosina who at one time owned the brand) The last ones were from China.

Chinon CM series camera are mechanical.
05-04-2023, 05:36 AM   #6

Program A is great too if you can live with the push button operation. I like the program mode and how it can do up to 15-second exposures in manual mode. But some might not like using push buttons for shutter speed selection.
05-04-2023, 06:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My Chinon CE-4 seems totally reliable.
I bought it on a whim when it was advertised locally and no-one else was interested … I've used it for i/r work (no DX window to leak) with a variety of lenses and been happy with the results.
I've no working experience with older Pentax K-mount slr's, all the ones I do have suffer from "sticky-itis".
Good luck

05-04-2023, 07:55 AM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 MX
smallest body, with largest viewfinder ever
05-04-2023, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX is gorgeous, sadly mine has been a money pit. I had it serviced (£135) when I got it (£45) and it was fine for 18 months but now its capping (£100) so its in the naughty box. MX is fully manual with proper dials as are the KX, KM & K1000. There are lots of ME Supers around, they're pretty good so long as you are happy with the buttons. Program A is good but the Super A is better, once again, the shutter speed is operated by up and down buttons and manual options. I am not mentioning the Pentax automatic cameras because I have little interest. They are great cameras but I know I will want full control at some point. One I do love is my P30. Its a bit plastic and very cheap, it is DX coded but that's not a problem as I have coded canisters, the meter is nice and it is effectively disposable as it costs so little. Worth considering, maybe
05-04-2023, 09:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really like my Ricoh XR7. I also like my Chinon CE-4 and -4s cameras after that. Then I like my MX. In that order. I own a Super Program and I have yet to bother messing with it; the user interface seems awful. I only got it to shoot with a DA 40 XS, which in retrospect is an odd thing to do with my money, and I should sell all of that stuff.
05-04-2023, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

KX or K2 are excellent choices.
MX a kind of smaller KX in a way.
Exacty two weeks ago I bought a LX. What a camera.
05-04-2023, 11:33 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

LX is wonderful, MX is great, just find one that you can try before buying and if it is functional just go with it.
05-04-2023, 01:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MX or KX. The LX is great but not as reliable and expensive to get repaired if even possible. I say this because today when I set my LX shutter to 1/30th, it took 2-3 seconds to close. The second shot tool about 1-2 secs. On the third shot it finally sounded correct. I may get it looked at by Eric H and see if its repairable...in the mean time I have 3 MX and 2 KX and they just keep working.

BTW...KX fits spotmatic cases. So you can get a full leather case for it allot cheaper than those $60 half cases. If you find an MX case, the plastic will be all crackled.

05-04-2023, 01:44 PM   #14

The KX is excellent but is very similar to the K1000. If you want to try something different I would definitely recommend a late model MX (serial number starting with 4).

I actually prefer the larger size and more solid build of the KX, but the MX viewfinder is vastly superior. I also prefer the simple LED meter interface of the MX. Factor in the cost of a service from a reputable Pentax technician.

To stick your toe in the water cheaply, the Pentax P30T is a great choice for around 25 £/€/$. Despite being plastic it feels surprisingly solid and has a nice viewfinder and meter interface. The T model has labrynth-sealed plastiic back so no deteriorating foam seals to replace.
05-04-2023, 02:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
MX or KX. The LX is great but not as reliable and expensive to get repaired if even possible. I say this because today when I set my LX shutter to 1/30th, it took 2-3 seconds to close. The second shot tool about 1-2 secs. On the third shot it finally sounded correct. I may get it looked at by Eric H and see if its repairable...in the mean time I have 3 MX and 2 KX and they just keep working.

BTW...KX fits spotmatic cases. So you can get a full leather case for it allot cheaper than those $60 half cases. If you find an MX case, the plastic will be all crackled.
Eric doesn't do LX repairs anymore.