Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

K1000 mirror locks up with film advance

Hi all,

I'm a digital guy who recently acquired a $10 K1000, as I'd like to experiment with film photography and processing. I'm hoping someone can help pinpoint an issue with the K1000. Considering my tiny investment, I certainly don't mind tinkering with the camera and possibly learning something.

I'm guessing I have some kind of adjustment or alignment issue here, but I don't know where. Usually, with a lens mounted, the mirror flips up when the film is advanced. I can make this happen nearly 100% of the time with a KA-series lens mounted; it happens much less frequently with a KM lens on the camera. I cannot reproduce the issue at all without a lens attached.

In either case, with or without the mirror stuck up, the shutter fires normally and the mirror returns to its usual position.

Wondering if those symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
Drew

01-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm shooting in the dark here
How is the foam in the mirror?
If it is gummy the mirror maybe sticking, changing that foam takes a few minutes with one of jon goodman's kits (interslice)

QuoteOriginally posted by awsutter Quote
Hi all,

I'm a digital guy who recently acquired a $10 K1000, as I'd like to experiment with film photography and processing. I'm hoping someone can help pinpoint an issue with the K1000. Considering my tiny investment, I certainly don't mind tinkering with the camera and possibly learning something.

I'm guessing I have some kind of adjustment or alignment issue here, but I don't know where. Usually, with a lens mounted, the mirror flips up when the film is advanced. I can make this happen nearly 100% of the time with a KA-series lens mounted; it happens much less frequently with a KM lens on the camera. I cannot reproduce the issue at all without a lens attached.

In either case, with or without the mirror stuck up, the shutter fires normally and the mirror returns to its usual position.

Wondering if those symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
Drew
01-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. The bumper foam is in okay shape and the issue seemed to be dependent on the lens: works fine without a lens or with a K/KM lens, but anything with aperture control it didn't like.

It seems I've sorted the issue, actually. I'm no camera technician: the thingy highlighted in the photo was loose when I opened the bottom cover. It's even possible that this piece is unrelated and I managed to jar something else back into position. In any case, seems I've got it working again. Thanks!

12-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Hi guys, 1st of all let me apologize for bringing this one up...

I have an MX and i have the mirror locking up problem too. The thing is, it works ok with a K 50mm/f1.4, but when i put a K 28mm/f3.5, every time i advance the film the mirror goes up and stays there.

Taking off the lens doesnt work either, and i have to take the lens off and fire the shutter, and THEN it comes back down...

Id really like to know what can be causing this, before i open the camera... thing is im on holidays, and dont have any tools or anything, and it really bothers me that it happens with one lens and not the other...

Both lenses look ok, nothing broken, nothing loose... If anything the 50mm is more beat up...

I'd really apreciate if anyone knows what might be going on, and how to fix it...

Thanks in advance!!

12-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That was almost certainly the issue. I had a similar issue with my K1000. I needed to straighten the flat metal piece (bottom right of your highlighted area). That curious collection of gears and levers controls the mirror during operation. Taking it up for the shutter and back down again as you prepare for the next shutter.