Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Until I sold it, here was my pocket setup.

The blue kid leather from cameraleather.com made it a joy in the hand...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Here are two of mine:

And this, of course:

--

I looked at the Panasonic 4/3 Micro camera in the J&R store window. It is small, but it is also fat, disgustingly so: the eyepiece protrudes out and back, and the lens extends even beyond the bulbous handle on the right.

Though the format holds promise for an 'rf' style implementation some day (and Panasonic has the Leica design cues in some of their point&shoots), all in all I'd rather have an Olympus 400 series or the K-M.
01-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wouldn't that be cool? A Pentax pano rangefinder and the key is lens design--right in line with Pentax expertise.

BTW love my XpanII. Fuji did an exemplary job building the lenses for Hasselblad. I'm not smart enough to figure out the image circle issues needed for medium format "pano" width in such a small package. Just know it works VERY well.
01-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find the comparisson charts a little bit unfair. For comparing sizes and weight, one could also take into account the additional bulk and weight of the respective motor drives. The Super A isn't exactly slim, when you add the Motor Drive A, neither is the MX, as both motor drives have a really protruding handgrips. Also, the LX is no light weight, when adding the MD + battery pack - or even better the good old battery grip (which also fits the MX or KMD). The DSLRs all sport the motor inside, as did the PZ-1/p, which is also very bulky.

On the other hand I could sometimes do with a smaller DSLR without motorized operations. Why noch cock the shutter with the old faschioned film advance lever? WOuld be interesting, but I guess we can expect something like that from a Voigtländer Bessa D, not really from Pentax.

If I really need a small digital camera, I use my old Canon G5, which fits into a jacket pocket (not in the pockets of trousers, though.

Ben

01-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus 35DC

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Until I sold it, here was my pocket setup.

The blue kid leather from cameraleather.com made it a joy in the hand...
Hey, that looks familiar. I did the very same thing. Love those little cameras.

Even wrote a how-to on it.

camera leather
01-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I've picked up one of these and have been using it lately, I'm worried it'll replace my SLR's for an everyday camera.

Aperture priority, 25-800 ASA (useful for EV comp), coupled rangefinder, quiet leaf shutter, +1.5 backlight comp & self timer on tiny lever on underside. The little 1 AA battery flash is useful in a pinch, too.
01-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #22

i use a fuji natura S black with a 24mm F1.9 lens

here's a sample BW image using Agfa APX 400 film developed in PaRodinal

01-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jake.astig Quote
Awesome idea for a camera, how are you liking it? I'd like to have access to the natura 1600 film here in Canada... :ugh:
01-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Cool information, Douglas. I noticed this distinctly when I went out shooting snow-scenes recently. One day, I took my K200D with kit lens, and the next I took the SP-F with the 55 on it. I shoved both under the front of my winter jacket, and with the K200D, I looked pregnant (which I have to say, being a guy, is not good). The SP-F was much easier to manage.

The Spottie was heavier than the K200D, but to be honest I don't mind lugging two pounds of chrome around with me when I take pictures. Never have. One of the reasons I picked the new Pentax over other bands was it's heft. My camera bag (a leather hardcase about the size of a trumpet case) weighs 10 pounds, and that's without the camera.
01-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jake.astig Quote

here's a sample BW image using Agfa APX 400 film developed in PaRodinal
AWESOME texture is picture number two. Also, what and where about the camera? Why is it all the cool stuff never makes it to North America? Seriously, with the "consumer market" reeling from debt shock, these companies should be clamoring to find niche markets. Also, after following a few links on Google, apparently they sell this baby with an included softcase and a roll of film? Here's an example.

What is wrong with our continent that people can't appreciate something like this?

Last edited by drewdlephone; 01-06-2009 at 10:42 PM.
01-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I got this recently and it will be my camera of 2009.

Last edited by ddhytz; 02-03-2010 at 08:45 PM.
01-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I was expecting a "witty" Mark Twain response like, "They are too large!"
01-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteQuote:
What is wrong with our continent that people can't appreciate something like this?
we appreciate it, the manufacturers just don't seem to realize it.
01-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
we appreciate it, the manufacturers just don't seem to realize it.
I think a digital slr 110 would be uber cool!
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
Awesome idea for a camera, how are you liking it? I'd like to have access to the natura 1600 film here in Canada... :ugh:
I think Natura 1600 film is only available in Japan.

Performancewise, the auto focus is pretty zippy and accurate. It's very quiet too. Here's a sample of a kid running around. This one was taken with the flash.

The lens is amazing as you can see in the second picture. The only downside is that pretty much everything is automatic. There is no manual option for setting ISO, aperture and shutter speed. You can only set exposure compensation and flash. But I guess using ISO 400 or above satisfies pretty much most low light requirements.

drewdlephone - The camera in the first picture is it. It's a film point and shoot.

Last edited by jake.astig; 01-07-2009 at 10:10 AM.