Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
ME Super or Super Program?

I have an opportunity to pick up a Super Program and some lenses for a good price. I like the ME Super, but the Super Program comes with some Pentax-A lenses, which would work better with my K100D than the Pentax-M 50mm I have.

Has anyone used both cameras? Which do you prefer? I've only had the ME Super since November, but I really enjoy it. I couldn't justify keeping both cameras as I already have several old 35mm cameras from the '60s and '70s, so one would have to go. I guess I could keep the ME Super and A lens, but I was also looking for something more "modern," and the TTL flash automation on the Super Program would be nice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

03-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
clm

I had both for a while, but I just sold the Super Program because I never used it.
03-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SuperProgram is currently my favorite MF film body- in my opinion, it's a prefect camera. The viewfinder is nice and big, it's easy to use, and it's the only MF Pentax that supports all 4 exposure modes- P, M, Tv and Av. The camera itself is compact yet easy to hold since it features a grip on both the front and the back.

The TTL works like a charm, too!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2007, 03:24 AM   #4

I also have a Super Program, but I've tried out a few ME supers. They both handle about the same, are about the same size and weight, and they both use up/down buttons to set shutter speed. So the main difference is in features, and the SP just whips the ME super.

In addition to what Mo mentions above, the SP has a digital viewfinder readout with shutter speed, aperture (in Tv and P modes), +/-3 stops exposure (in M mode), flash ready/OK, and exposure comp warning - it's a better VF than in the later autofocus SF1/SF10 models. The TTL flash is compatible with the current Pentax flash models, too. It even has a little window that tells you that the film is advancing properly. My only complaint is that I think the shutter (or maybe the mirror) is a bit loud - it's louder than my ZX-5n - but I think it's exactly the same shutter as the ME super, so it probably sounds the same. It was cutting-edge stuff when it came out in 1984, and it's still not too shabby.

I think you should get the Super Program. I had been thinking about selling mine, but I may have just talked myself into keeping it!

03-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #5

I still own my 2 SP's, not that I remember the last time I used 'em. Before I got my 2nd Sp I would borrow my buddies ME Super. If I had a choice between a SP or an ME S it would not take longer than the time it would take to say Super Program. The reasons have been covered. I just thought I chime in too.
03-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, all of you, for your advice. I think I am going to pick up the SP if it is still available.
03-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe take the ME super with you to compare in hand.. according to the BOZ site[ Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page ] the superprogram viewfinder (which I love) is quite a bit smaller than the ME super.. 0.82x[92%] v.s. 0.95x[92%]

03-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll compare the two viewfinders later today to make sure, since I'd never noticed much of a difference before.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
The ME's viewfinder is huge, but I honestly don't use it as much as my K100D or my Nikon Ftn. Mostly I notice when I come back to the ME and think, "Man, this viewfinder is HUGE!"