Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2023, 02:11 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Definitely - that camera's a beauty. Is it a re-badged Ricoh?
Yep, its a rebadged Ricoh T.L.S.

Here's a site that shows the history of it: 1971 Sears T.L.S – My Favorite All-Manual, All-Metal Brick Camera – To Type, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth…

12-06-2023, 02:44 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
It reminds me a bit of my RevueFlex 5005 which is a big brick of a camera but very nice to use.
12-09-2023, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It seems that as these film cameras age we get further away from even knowing their basic operation. For instance, I picked up an Olympus OM3 listed as "not working for parts only" on KEH. You would think that if anyone would know how to operate it the fine folks at KEH would and therefore be able to list it for a much higher price. Don't get me wrong, even though it was listed as such, they were still not giving it away and it was still a gamble. Also since KEH didn't provide a picture of the actual item, I wasn't sure what it really looked like so I just depended on their rating being very conservative.

When I received it and initially inspected it, it looked perfect from the outside specially considering it's rating. Since it's fully mechanical - only the meter needs the battery, I exercised all the functions and everything worked perfectly. So now I figure it was listed as not working because the meter must be bad. So I popped in a couple of standard batteries and lo and behold the meter was responding to shutter speed and aperture settings. I then compared it to my Sekonic and it matched it perfectly! So now I have fine looking example that it is fully functional . . .

No doubt there will be even more great deals to be had the further away we get . . .
12-09-2023, 12:46 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
It seems that as these film cameras age we get further away from even knowing their basic operation. For instance, I picked up an Olympus OM3 listed as "not working for parts only" on KEH. You would think that if anyone would know how to operate it the fine folks at KEH would and therefore be able to list it for a much higher price. Don't get me wrong, even though it was listed as such, they were still not giving it away and it was still a gamble. Also since KEH didn't provide a picture of the actual item, I wasn't sure what it really looked like so I just depended on their rating being very conservative.

When I received it and initially inspected it, it looked perfect from the outside specially considering it's rating. Since it's fully mechanical - only the meter needs the battery, I exercised all the functions and everything worked perfectly. So now I figure it was listed as not working because the meter must be bad. So I popped in a couple of standard batteries and lo and behold the meter was responding to shutter speed and aperture settings. I then compared it to my Sekonic and it matched it perfectly! So now I have fine looking example that it is fully functional . . .

No doubt there will be even more great deals to be had the further away we get . . .
Nice score. I've been wondering about what you get when buying an "as is" from them. I might just take a chance now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting anything that nice. I'll be good with somewhat functional. 😁

12-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Nice score. I've been wondering about what you get when buying an "as is" from them. I might just take a chance now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting anything that nice. I'll be good with somewhat functional. 😁
KEH online website generally never shows pics ofvthe actual item but their ebay site usually does. A little unnerving until you get used to the fact they're usually very underrated.
12-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think "somewhat functional" may be the best you can get from "as is" with them.

My poking around has seen most of the as-is stuff they sell as being really weird/obsolete with no way to repair it or obviously not 100% working...

Like slow speeds off, bellows may leak on an old folding camera... but it wasn't nice enough of a camera for them to grade it better with a "slow speeds off" exclusion in the condition... since they will do that with higher end stuff... (EX+, meter inop), for example...

-Eric
12-11-2023, 06:14 AM - 4 Likes   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think "somewhat functional" may be the best you can get from "as is" with them.

My poking around has seen most of the as-is stuff they sell as being really weird/obsolete with no way to repair it or obviously not 100% working...

Like slow speeds off, bellows may leak on an old folding camera... but it wasn't nice enough of a camera for them to grade it better with a "slow speeds off" exclusion in the condition... since they will do that with higher end stuff... (EX+, meter inop), for example...

-Eric
Honestly, I only expected this to be a shelf queen, something I may tinker with in retirement. Now I think it's just a rebate for all the other purchases I've made . . .

Another camera that was also listed as not working for parts came from relative was my second LX. It was posted on ebay missing finder and back - was parted out. Otherwise it looked in very good shape and listed for under $100 with a make offer option. I made a reasonable offer that was accepted. When I got I inspected it and in mechanical mode everything seemed to work just fine. Put a finder, back, lens and batteries and everything worked perfectly. In fact I can't even tell which of the two LX's it is anymore as it has been working perfectly over ten years now.

I guessed that since it was listed as "ILX" they may not have really known how it worked.

12-12-2023, 05:23 PM - 3 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just Scored this Pentax Super Program on eBay last week for only $22 dollars with a ProMaster (Sigma) 28mm f2.8 in LIKE NEW condition. Even the light seals are new on the camera. The auction started out at about $13 dollars with no bidders and I immediately selected "or best offer" for $22 dollars thinking there's just no way and low and behold the guy accepted! The lens alone is worth $30 dollars. I'm not sure what these cameras go for but I definitely got lucky with this one. It also came with a camera case and strap. I popped some fresh batteries in it and wa la.....good to go.

The only downside is the guy labeled it with his initials on the leatherette in "AE" white lettering of some sort. I'm wondering how I can remove that without destroying the leatherette. Any ideas?

12-12-2023, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just Scored this Pentax Super Program on eBay last week for only $22 dollars with a ProMaster (Sigma) 28mm f2.8 in LIKE NEW condition. Even the light seals are new on the camera. The auction started out at about $13 dollars with no bidders and I immediately selected "or best offer" for $22 dollars thinking there's just no way and low and behold the guy accepted! The lens alone is worth $30 dollars. I'm not sure what these cameras go for but I definitely got lucky with this one. It also came with a camera case and strap. I popped some fresh batteries in it and wa la.....good to go.

The only downside is the guy labeled it with his initials on the leatherette in "AE" white lettering of some sort. I'm wondering how I can remove that without destroying the leatherette. Any ideas?
Great score!
I have some older camera that previous owners engraved their names or even social on but now they're just using markers! Maybe a black marker would do the trick?
12-12-2023, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Great score!
I have some older camera that previous owners engraved their names or even social on but now they're just using markers! Maybe a black marker would do the trick?
You know who's initials these are don't you? A lbert E instein.
12-12-2023, 06:19 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You know who's initials these are don't you? A lbert E instein.
That just bumped up the price and how great the score really is . . .
12-12-2023, 08:09 PM - 3 Likes   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going to pick this lot up on Thursday. There are a couple newer lenses and misc as well. Not quite the score as the above Super Program, but for $130...

12-12-2023, 10:24 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am going to pick this lot up on Thursday. There are a couple newer lenses and misc as well. Not quite the score as the above Super Program, but for $130...

That's a great haul!
Everytime I got a bundle, there were always lots of filters included. I must have a box of all kinds of filters but have not used one yet.
12-13-2023, 12:15 AM   #74
Pentaxian

The Canon A-1 is a great haul. Fun to use with lots of knobs, gears, and switches to satisfy your mechanical needs.
12-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and wa la
I think you meant to say voilà?

Great deal!