Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Film camera as backup for volunteer wedding?

Hey folks,

So I got called to do a wedding assignment for a couple. I currently only have one camera body and have thought about getting a secondary. I am doing this on a volunteer basis (no pay) and there may be a secondary shooter. However, there is the chance that I may be the primary shooter... and that has me a little concerned as the onus would be on me for my equipment to NOT fail.

The K100D is a great camera, and I have an assortment of lenses to go with it (DA, FA, A, M). I have considered getting a K200D and making the K100D as a backup, but the K200D is really out of my budget right now. And since this is not paid, I figure I shouldn't be buying on a 'panic' basis. I realize that I have access to some used film camera bodies at a local camera store, and that I could use the FILM body as a possible backup in the odd situation where my K100D dies.

My question is: Does anyone know which camera body can support M, A and FA lenses (and possibly the AF540FGZ flash)? I don't mind not using the DA lenses that I have as I have a few lenses in the M, A and FA range. If I could get the FA50 F1.4 to work on a camera body, that'd be perfect enough for me for probably the entire wedding (except group shots).

I think the shop I know has an MZ-5 or MZ-7 available... but not sure what else to consider. Sorry for the newb question!

01-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

read my posting here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/44525-hands-co...6-vs-mz-s.html

i think the only cameras that support P-TTL are the *ist, MZ-S and MZ-6
DA Lenses only work on the PZ-1, MZ-6 and MZ-7 and do not cover the entire frame and most will have excessive vignetting

and for specific details, always go to k-mount page
01-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #3

Either Will Work

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Hey folks,

So I got called to do a wedding assignment for a couple. I currently only have one camera body and have thought about getting a secondary. I am doing this on a volunteer basis (no pay) and there may be a secondary shooter. However, there is the chance that I may be the primary shooter... and that has me a little concerned as the onus would be on me for my equipment to NOT fail.

The K100D is a great camera, and I have an assortment of lenses to go with it (DA, FA, A, M). I have considered getting a K200D and making the K100D as a backup, but the K200D is really out of my budget right now. And since this is not paid, I figure I shouldn't be buying on a 'panic' basis. I realize that I have access to some used film camera bodies at a local camera store, and that I could use the FILM body as a possible backup in the odd situation where my K100D dies.

My question is: Does anyone know which camera body can support M, A and FA lenses (and possibly the AF540FGZ flash)? I don't mind not using the DA lenses that I have as I have a few lenses in the M, A and FA range. If I could get the FA50 F1.4 to work on a camera body, that'd be perfect enough for me for probably the entire wedding (except group shots).

I think the shop I know has an MZ-5 or MZ-7 available... but not sure what else to consider. Sorry for the newb question!
Both the MZ-5 and MZ-7 will work just fine with the M, A and FA lenses. You are also good as far as the flash in concerned because the AF540FGZ supports TTL, which both of these film bodies have. By most accounts, you are better off using TTL for flash automation over P-TTL anyway.
One thing to take into consideration is the frame rate of these 2 bodies (2 fps). It doesn't matter to some but may be an issue if you plan to machine gun the boquet toss.
Check out Bojidar Dimitrov's K-Mount Page for all the details.
01-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that FA 50 ought to work on darn near anything, to my understanding, actually. had mine on my ME Super, even. I believe this is so for just about anything Pentax made with an aperture ring?

01-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
went to the store and looks like the Pentax Z-70 body is the only one thats within range and is pretty decent for my use (tried it with most of my lenses. The DA40 works with it! awesome!

I tried it out and the body feel is a bit weird compared to my K100D, but most of the stuff is pretty easy to get used to in terms of options and what not. Just have to remember to reload film, and stop checking the non-existant LCD screen

I'm hoping that my k100D will last the entire day. I may end up putting the money down for the K200D as they seem to be clearing out here in Vancouver... but I'll have to consider my budget options.

Z-70 = $99.50 + tax
CR2 battery = 12.99 + tax
Kodak 400 film @ 36 exposures x 5 rolls = ($8.99 + tax) x 5
-------------
Total = $158 + tax = $176 CDN

I tried the MZ-5, but it was waaaaay too simple to use.
01-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MZ7 does well with the lenses that came with the K100D (DA), FA and M lenses.
I tested it with the KIT (17-55) lens and while some vignetting in the corners occur at 17 it is gone at 24 or so.
The lens does nt have an Aperture ring but you can set the aperture using the lever switch by the shutter button.

As a recommendation, even thogu this will be you backup body, load it with BW film, it makes wonderful pictures of brides, specially if you choose Ilford XP2 and se the ISO to 200.

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Hey folks,