Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2023, 10:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too many SLRs, what to keep?

I started collecting vintage lenses a couple of years ago but got the bug for analog cameras as a result of finding a near mint Spotmatic. Now I have 2 Spotmatic SP's, a Spotmatic II, a KX, a K-1000, 2 ME Supers, and an MX. All of them are working but I really want to downsize. I would like to keep two of them, three at most. I definitely want to keep the MX, mainly because I paid for a full CLA. Plus it is a great camera. My plan is to use film for monochrome and continue to use digital for color work. I'm just an amateur so nothing will get heavy use.

Any suggestions out there?

11-28-2023, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadengler Quote
I started collecting vintage lenses a couple of years ago but got the bug for analog cameras as a result of finding a near mint Spotmatic. Now I have 2 Spotmatic SP's, a Spotmatic II, a KX, a K-1000, 2 ME Supers, and an MX. All of them are working but I really want to downsize. I would like to keep two of them, three at most. I definitely want to keep the MX, mainly because I paid for a full CLA. Plus it is a great camera. My plan is to use film for monochrome and continue to use digital for color work. I'm just an amateur so nothing will get heavy use.

Any suggestions out there?
Keep one of the Spotmatics if you have enough m42 gear. Otherwise the KX for the symmetry of the KX and MX.
11-28-2023, 11:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Keep one of the Spotmatics if you have enough m42 gear. Otherwise the KX for the symmetry of the KX and MX.
That's kind of what I have been thinking. I have more m42 lenses than manual K mount so a Spotmatic would help. I do want to keep one in my car for unplanned opportunities. The Spotmatic or KX would be great for that as well.
11-29-2023, 01:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd be keeping an ME Super. That's what I had back in the day - an MX & an ME Super...

11-29-2023, 01:57 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keep them all, cameras don't eat bread and nowadays these are worth almost nothing.
11-29-2023, 02:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to use all you keep then I’d stick with K-mount bodies. If the MX is to be the only active one and any others to be shelf princesses then I’d keep whichever Spottie is in nicer condition.
11-29-2023, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too many? Not enough.

11-29-2023, 04:24 AM   #8

If you're "Downsizing," isn't the MX the smallest of the bunch?
11-29-2023, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the MX. I always wanted one as a kid. Now I have two, and that makes me very happy.
11-29-2023, 05:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
I'd be keeping an ME Super.
Even when it was released (and I was a *very* impressionable teenager), I thought the ME Super was new technology for its own sake.

Buttons, schmuttons: the MX was still the aspirational body.
11-29-2023, 05:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I agree with this. That is, if you really feel you must thin the herd.
11-29-2023, 05:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just what I'd do, except that I would keep a Spotmatic anyway, just in case...
11-29-2023, 06:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Keep all of them, unless you find someone who really wants a film camera and just make them a present of a model. You won't get much for such an old camera, you do not even get much for a more modern one or a digital one especially if it wears the name Pentax. In the past I got enough for my old camera when trading a model in, so I do nove any camera before the SFX, because it made more sense to trade one in and so finance the follow up.
11-29-2023, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My suggestion is to keep one of the spoties and an ME super or the MX. At my local camera shop K1000 go for more than a KX, MX, or ME Super and K1000s have a high turnover rate so they are selling even if they are a lesser camera than the other k mounts. Probably because everyone associates a K1000 with being a "pro" camera instead of being the learner one they used in school or because they are popular with the hipster photography community.

I am biased with the spotties as I love my 2 Spotmatic F and the fun of pulling my MX out of my jeans front pocket with the M 40/2.8 on it gets some looks because no one expects a 135 format film SLR with lens to be that small.
11-29-2023, 07:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're doing pretty much the same thing I do - film for monochrome, and digital for colour. And I did what you're doing - thinned the quiver, uncluttered and got rid of things I would never use. Feels good.

I think your plan to keep the MX and a Spottie is a good one. I've had an MX since about 1983, and I still use it regularly. Love it. It's my desert island camera. Fantastic design, and great to handle and shoot with.

I've also been shooting with a lovely black Spotmatic SP that my wife inherited from her grandfather. There's something special about those cameras that make them wonderful to shoot. It takes more thought and effort for accurate metering, which slows things down (which is a good thing). And the build quality of the bodies and lenses is fantastic.

So yes, I would suggest keeping the best Spotmatic and the MX. If you want to stretch to 3 cameras, then maybe think about an ME Super - it might be handy to have a body with auto mode for quick shooting situations, say, with changing light.

You can get good money for the K1000 and KX these days. They're in high demand with the young urban hipster crowd in the past few years (at least in my area, greater Toronto), so their prices are up there.

Bottom line - keep the bodies that make you want to grab them and go out and shoot. Anything that leaves you thinking, "meh, boring", that's what you sell. My two cents...

Edit: MossyRocks beat me to it, lol. What he said ^^^