Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"new" Spotmatic ... for me anyway

Well ... here it is
I purchased this from a fairly local forum member up on the Central Coast, NSW.

All of his Pentax equipment is pretty much in mint condition ... he really looks after his gear indeed. And when i arrived to inspect this Spotmatic SP (2940863 I was impressed.

There is very little markngs on it at all ... even for normal wear there's nothing really. The meter works well ... he showed me how to test it properly as well.

Just thought I'd post up a quick shot i took of it ... it came with the Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 as well (luckily one I didn't already have).

Taken with my "manual" K10D with Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5 @ f/8 (I accidently left the ISO at 800 though)

Plenty more images to come.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 01-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.
01-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A beautiful camera. Hats off to the previous owner for maintaining it in wonderful condition and for being willing to part with it!

Steve
01-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The previous owner has another 2 Spotmatic bodies ... ths was the least used one.
After use he removed the battery and stored it in the fridge ... and used that battery between all Spotmatics.

I dropped into my local camera store to see what film he had and what was avilable ... and showed him the Spottie ... and he was mightily impressed with the quality of the camera and was pleased to see one in 100% working order as well. So he gave me a roll of Ilford HP4 PLUS 125 B&W film ... and Ilford HP5 Plus 400 B&W film as a present ... he's a top bloke.
01-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*Sigh* the SP is so beautiful, probably the prettiest of them all... Congrats on such a fine camera.

01-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
*Sigh* the SP is so beautiful, probably the prettiest of them all... Congrats on such a fine camera.
you know it is. sheer perfection.
01-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A beautiful camera. Hats off to the previous owner for maintaining it in wonderful condition and for being willing to part with it!

Steve
Yes, it's in terrific condition, isn't it? Good find.

And yes, the form factor on the SP is definitely a classic and remains beautiful even to this day.
01-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It really is a nice looking body indeed ... and the 50 really looks at home on it.
Will finish this roll with the 50mm ... and then I think I might mount the 85mm on there and see how i go with that (really looking forward to trying it out).

I was lucky ... the previous owner was reading the "I want a Spotmatic" thread .. and I made a mention that I was looking for one in good nick .... he PM'ed me with an offer .... and it went from there.

01-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice machine indeed. Congrats!
01-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Previous Owner

I am the previous owner of that camera. It was a difficult decision to part with it but I am happy that it has gone to a good home and to somebody who will use it and appreciate it.

I still have another Spotmatic SP and an SP1000 both of which are in similar condition plus a collection of near mint M42 Takumars. I still enjoy using my film cameras and being able to use my Takumars on my K10D is the icing on the cake.
01-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thank Ray for alloying me to purchase one of his well-loved Spotmatics.

It was a pleasure meeting you Ray and chatting with you the other day.
I just got my light tent ... so will be taking better shots of all my gear soon.
01-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think three cheers and a tiger are in order for Ray. Anyone who owns and cherishes one of these fine cameras knows what it must take to part with one. Mine may be given away for free to good homes upon my death, although I must admit that I have a strong irrational wish to have them buried with me.
01-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I think three cheers and a tiger are in order for Ray. Anyone who owns and cherishes one of these fine cameras knows what it must take to part with one. Mine may be given away for free to good homes upon my death, although I must admit that I have a strong irrational wish to have them buried with me.
And I thought I was the only one who thought of having cameras with me in my coffin.
01-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe I'll just have a nice weatherproof box incorporated into my tombstone with some cameras in it and a sign telling people they're welcome to borrow them if they promise to bring them back.