Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The "freebie" Spotmatic SP

I thought I'd put a separate thread to the "new" Spotmatic for this one.

I have taken a couple of shots on this ... I haven't had a chance to even look at cleaning this up yet. I'd say the battery is dead in this as the meter isn't moving (let alone knowing if the meter works at all).

As I mentioned in my other thread ... my Mother-in-Law was cleaning up a spare room and found an old camera ... she was going to throw it out. But decided to give it to me just to play around with and see if it worked.

I was thankful to the Gods for me finding this really ... and from what I can see there's really nothing wrong with it. I just put a roll of Kodak Gold 200 in it and have been playing with the "Sunny 16" rule outside in the nice afternoon sun the other day. I haven't finished it yet to see how it comes out though.

This one is older to my new Spotmatic ... as the Serial Number is earlier (1948694). It also came with a Sunpak flash on a bracket ... and a weird Sun Optic zoom lens (I doubt it's much chop though).

Excuse the poor images .. I dropped ISO down a bit to reduce grain ... but didn't have a tripod handy ... so only used the benchtop ... these are only f/8 snapshots really ust to show condition more than anything.

01-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Drool over Drool nice catch

cheers
01-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is one funky zoom. Preset aperture?

Steve
01-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah that's what it looks like to me.
Never seen anything like it.

I haven't shot with it ... front element is dusty .. but no scratches from what I can see ... has a skylight filter over it.

01-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
yeah that's what it looks like to me.
Never seen anything like it.

I haven't shot with it ... front element is dusty .. but no scratches from what I can see ... has a skylight filter over it.

yes that looks like a preset. most long teles (zoom or prime) back then were preset. its makes focusing and metering much easier because you can set the aperture, then use the second ring to open it back up for focusing then when you want to meter you use the second ring to close it back down (this is of course before open aperture metering.) at least that's how the preset works on Takumars. it can also give you the option of using all sorts of different aperture settings as oppossed to just the preset numbers, though I dont know if the Spotmatic can meter correctly that way. I dont even know if a Pentax DSLR can meter it correctly but I imagine it could.
01-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seamuis ... thanks for the information on it ... now it makes a bit more sense to me now.

It's an 85-210mm f/4.8
The barrel doesn't extend when zooming either ... The internal elements move in an out when zooming though.
It does extend when focussing though ... and the actual front element does rotate when focussing.

I had a quick go at the aperature ring(s) ... and really it's a case of setting your aperature with the outer ring .. and then using the open-close ring for metering as you mentioned Seamuis. The Opn-close ring click when it reaches the preset aperture .. but you can push it further though (in turn moving the preset aperture ring to match too).

aving a play around with it ... and using the newer Spotmatic with working meter ... all you really would do is set your shutter speed first ... and then you could adjust the aperture with infinite accuracy with this lens until you get the spot-on exposure in the meter.

Something to try later on I guess.
01-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #7
Banned

Seamuis ... thanks for the information on it ... now it makes a bit more sense to me now.

It's an 85-210mm f/4.8
The barrel doesn't extend when zooming either ... The internal elements move in an out when zooming though.
It does extend when focussing though ... and the actual front element does rotate when focussing.

I had a quick go at the aperature ring(s) ... and really it's a case of setting your aperature with the outer ring .. and then using the open-close ring for metering as you mentioned Seamuis. The Opn-close ring click when it reaches the preset aperture .. but you can push it further though (in turn moving the preset aperture ring to match too).

aving a play around with it ... and using the newer Spotmatic with working meter ... all you really would do is set your shutter speed first ... and then you could adjust the aperture with infinite accuracy with this lens until you get the spot-on exposure in the meter.

Something to try later on I guess.
glad to see it works that way, just like my Tele-Takumar 300mm 6.3. its really handy in a lot more situations than one might imagine. I can actually unscrew the front element on mine and expose the aperture blades (I don't know what that would be for but I can) really fun to use.

01-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice really nice!

it is always fun to me to see how the zooms from way back when are so huge compared to the current crop.
01-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Nice really nice!

it is always fun to me to see how the zooms from way back when are so huge compared to the current crop.
Yes, and perfectly usable as weapons, too.

I love the construction of old lenses, with metal and all that. I appreciate the lightness of new lenses (easier for travel), but I like the feel (and sturdiness) of metal lenses better.

Going back on-topic, not bad for a camera tucked away for a long time and destined to the trash bin. Good save.
01-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Yes, and perfectly usable as weapons, too.

I love the construction of old lenses, with metal and all that. I appreciate the lightness of new lenses (easier for travel), but I like the feel (and sturdiness) of metal lenses better.

Going back on-topic, not bad for a camera tucked away for a long time and destined to the trash bin. Good save.
going a bit back off-topic, you'd be surprised at just how light a lot of older lenses really are. they may be metal but they lack all of the electronics and motors of modern lenses. of course smaller max apertures go a long way in reducing weight as well. the smaller the glass the lighter it is. my Tele-Takumar is incredibly light and easily hand holdable at 300mm. this if course does not apply to all lenses especially early zoom lenses which are known for being monstrously huge and.. well rather funny looking.
01-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
going a bit back off-topic, you'd be surprised at just how light a lot of older lenses really are. they may be metal but they lack all of the electronics and motors of modern lenses. of course smaller max apertures go a long way in reducing weight as well. the smaller the glass the lighter it is. my Tele-Takumar is incredibly light and easily hand holdable at 300mm. this if course does not apply to all lenses especially early zoom lenses which are known for being monstrously huge and.. well rather funny looking.
I haven't had the chance to hold a copy of that Tele-Takumar you have, but the fast fifties sure are plenty light. You're right, I was thinking of the old zooms. I used to have a Kiron 28-105, and while it's a cracking lens, it did put some strain on my neck lugging it around for hours.
01-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you ever held a Nikon F lens? Or for that matter, the 'small' Nikon - the Nikkormat FT?

Spotmatics and Takumars are featherweights and the tiny cameras of their era.
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Have you ever held a Nikon F lens? Or for that matter, the 'small' Nikon - the Nikkormat FT?

Spotmatics and Takumars are featherweights and the tiny cameras of their era.
the only Nikon I have ever used was a Nikon F Photomic T with a Nikkor-S 1.4 50mm and I will tell you it felt like a piece of military hardware. seriously you'd swear up and down it was designed by the Japanese military. its no wonder it was popular with photo-journalists during the Viet-nam war. its heavy as hell and exudes professionalism.(and in the case of war, can certainly be used as a weapon.) I have wanted one ever since. you are right, what Asahi Opt. Co. was putting out were the true featherweights of the era. and that's exactly how they have always done it. to be the smallest and lightest.
01-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hee hee ... this Sun Optics lens would be just as effective as a Police officer's nightstick.
It's a solid bit of gear ... hence the screw-in tripod collar.

Now ... any idea would be best for cleaning these ... I know about cleaning lenses ... but what can be used for lens barrels and the like ... also for camera bodies as well .. would be interesting to see how it comes up ... cos in the pics above it really doesn't show the amount of dust/dirt on the actual camera (between the dials on the top it is filthy ... internally loks really clean though).
01-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I normally use paper tissue and a bit of rubbing alcohol if needed
q-tips for the hard to reach parts or paper tisssue wrapped around thin bamboo sticks (for kebabs)

there are 2 "windows" in the spottie that are good to celan:
- The shutter loaded indicator, right next to the film advance
- The lighmeter on indicator in or around the lightmeter

Hee hee ... this Sun Optics lens would be just as effective as a Police officer's nightstick.
It's a solid bit of gear ... hence the screw-in tripod collar.

Now ... any idea would be best for cleaning these ... I know about cleaning lenses ... but what can be used for lens barrels and the like ... also for camera bodies as well .. would be interesting to see how it comes up ... cos in the pics above it really doesn't show the amount of dust/dirt on the actual camera (between the dials on the top it is filthy ... internally loks really clean though).