Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I always found the meters in my SLRs and dSLRs to be adequate for general shooting and have learned to bracket when the lighting is complex. For studio work, I'm using a simple Minolta flash meter these days. It can also be used as a traditional reflective and incident meter and I've found it to be very good. Unfortunately, it is no longer made.... Dave

01-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
But before you buy one, best to know the differences between incident and reflected light metering. If you are on a tight budget, use a DSLR's meter to assess exposure as you have the benefit of the LCD to check.
Sorry to be a pain asking this question but could someone give me a brief definition of the difference between incident and reflected light metering. I am guessing that incident light is 'pure light' before it 'reaches' the subject. If so, I cannot understand why it would need to be measured.
01-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Brianog Quote
Sorry to be a pain asking this question but could someone give me a brief definition of the difference between incident and reflected light metering. I am guessing that incident light is 'pure light' before it 'reaches' the subject. If so, I cannot understand why it would need to be measured.

reflected-light meters measure the light reflected by the scene to be photographed. all in-camera meters are reflected-light meters. incident-light meters measure the amount of light falling on the subject using an integrated sphere (usually, a translucent hemispherical plastic dome). you also have spot meters, which are reflected-light meters that measures light in a very tight cone, typically with a one degree angle.

they all have their use, and they all have their drawbacks.
01-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are familiar with the problems of metering, say very dark or very light things with a reflected light meter? You have to make exposure compensating adjustments to the measurement... e.g. give less exposure to a snow scene in order to get white instead of 18% gray snow.

With the incident meter, this exposure compensation isn't needed, as the absolute level of light is captured. Thus snow for example 'naturally' falls in the white range. The incident meter mode by the way usually is nothing more than a translucent cover over the reflective meter. The downside is you have to get the meter at least into a similar lighting situation as your subject.

01-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A handheld meter is good for taking "average"reads (in most cases)

It can take reflected metering (light bouncing from the scene)
or incident metering (light falling in the scene)

Incident is very useful for scenes with large expanses of white/black while reflected is useful for most other scenes

[dis-]advantages have already been mentioned, and I'll second a cheap Sekonic as an all-purpse lightmeter
There used to be some Minoltas with flashmeter as well that were absolutely awesome!

For more info I'd recommend you find a copy of Upton PHOTOGRAPHY book, any of the Time-Life series (Light and Film is the best for htis) or some other photgraphy book (Horenstein on-line, etc)
01-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thank you Seamus, Nesster and titrisol for sharing your knowledge and experience. I now understand the difference between incident and reflective light metering. I have decided I am going to go for the Sekonic L308S. It is digital as some of you have strongly advised and also it is relatively inexpensive and accurate. This really is a very helpful and supportive group so thanks again. I appreciate it.
01-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I do also like hand meters just for the purpose of being discreet out there: it's good in a lot of circumstances to have a sense of the light before anyone sees a camera.
I was thinking of this very thing before I posted the question at the beginning of this thread. Sometimes it can be a bit fiddly and indiscreet metering through the viewfinder. When people see you twiddling dials with a camera up to your eye they know what is coming next. I was thinking one of the advantages of a hand held light meter is you have a lot of work done before you lift the camera up to your eye. I have to say that is one of the big attractions of why I want one.

01-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
Banned

I was thinking of this very thing before I posted the question at the beginning of this thread. Sometimes it can be a bit fiddly and indiscreet metering through the viewfinder. When people see you twiddling dials with a camera up to your eye they know what is coming next. I was thinking one of the advantages of a hand held light meter is you have a lot of work done before you lift the camera up to your eye. I have to say that is one of the big attractions of why I want one.
and likely one of the big reasons why Av became popular.