Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2024, 12:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Which bodies worked w/o batteries...

Like the subject says, I'm looking for various bodies that would work sans batteries, in at least Bulb mode. Obviously any of the mechanical shutter ones would work, but given the bizarre pricing of camera bodies these days ($250 for a used K1000?!?! whiskey tango foxtrot) i'm looking for any option I can screw my mechanical shutter release cable into, and that shutter stay open for hours.

it looks like the MG bodies will work on 1/100 and bulb, w/o their batteries. Is that correct? any others?

Thanks!

02-10-2024, 12:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax ME / ME Super will stay open in B mode, as long as the shutter release cable is pressed and locked in that position, as long as it takes.
02-10-2024, 01:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd suggest you give a wander through here:
Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

That has specs on basically all the SLRs...

The short, incomplete, and occasionally wrong version is something like:
All bodies in the "K" series and all bodies in the "M" series, plus the LX will have at least one mechanical shutter speed...
And obviously the screw mount stuff all has at least a couple of mechanical speeds.

Anything newer than the M series (starting at about the SuperProgram) will not...

-Eric
02-10-2024, 03:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wouldn't any of the original Spotmatic or SP's (SP500, SP1000) work for you? The only thing that the battery does on those is work the meter.

You can probably pick up an SP500 in working condition for a very reasonable price, if you don't care if the meter or shutter speeds are calibrated. All you need are good light seals and shutter curtain.

And there's a multitude of inexpensive M42 lenses you can get at bargain-basement prices for them.

02-10-2024, 05:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I should have probably put it in my original post, but I would prefer to be sticking with bayonet bodies, since that's what my lens collection is.
Good to know about the k & m series. That's what I kind of figured but wasn't sure.
02-10-2024, 09:50 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless I'm mistaken the MX will work through the full range of shutter speeds without a battery.
02-10-2024, 10:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Unless I'm mistaken the MX will work through the full range of shutter speeds without a battery.
Certainly will!

I'm pretty sure all the manual focus K mount cameras will work in B without batteries.

02-10-2024, 11:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a feeling that the K2 might also fill the bill - but I think there are not too many out there - it had a very short production life!
02-11-2024, 04:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Time mode

is what you are looking for, and any of the old camera that don't have meters will do this such as the Asahi Pentax SV OR S1 OR S2. And they are plentiful. Hope that helps. The only way it closes is if you turn the speed dial or rewind it. It doesn't need to be complicated. And old Nikon F will do the trick also.
02-11-2024, 04:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
All bodies in the "K" series and all bodies in the "M" series, plus the LX will have at least one mechanical shutter speed...
And obviously the screw mount stuff all has at least a couple of mechanical speeds.
Yes, and to be clear, all those cameras have a B setting in which the shutter is held open mechanically.
02-11-2024, 07:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
Certainly will!

I'm pretty sure all the manual focus K mount cameras will work in B without batteries.
I think the Super Program and newer require battery power even for “bulb” and “125x”.

That includes all the P3/5/30 variants.

-Eric
02-12-2024, 03:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sota Quote
I should have probably put it in my original post, but I would prefer to be sticking with bayonet bodies, since that's what my lens collection is.
Good to know about the k & m series. That's what I kind of figured but wasn't sure.
that is why they make M-42 Adaptors, best bet get an Ashahi S2 . Why because it has Time mode on the Speed dial.
02-12-2024, 08:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe the M42 adapter is to adapt M42 lens to K-mount body, not the other way around. The OP has K-mount lenses.

02-12-2024, 08:54 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool, thanks all. You confirmed my suspicions on what to look for.
I was considering dragging my old war horse of a K1000 out for this, but I don't know what level of "abuse" this will wind up being
02-13-2024, 08:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

BTW, you might also look into the Ricoh XR-1 which is a fully mechanical K mount. I don't have this model but there have been others here that have previously extolled it's virtues.