Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2024, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is your street camera and film stock?

Hello PentaX0rz!

I love street photography on film. There are so many films out there, and many film cameras to choose from if you don't need the modern bells and whistles.

So what Pentax film camera are you taking on street adventures? Why that camera?

And what film are you using? Why does that film fit, enhance, vibe with your photography?

My answers: I use the Pentax Pz-1p.
It gives me the shooting mode I love (Hyper Manual), has control dials for shutter speed and aperture, no nonsense - all function machinery vibes. It is small enough for the street, has a solid grip, and takes great photos! It kind of reminds me of Terminator circa 1992.

For my stock, I am currently using Portra 160 or Wolfen NC500. The latter gives a solid mid 80's look, with a blend of green and blue in the shadows. Nice smooth skin tones.

02-11-2024, 05:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax Pc35af and fomapan 100. The pc35 is easily the most silent and conspicuous point and shoot one can bring.
02-11-2024, 09:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the street photography I do is when I'm travelling and my current travel camera is also the Pentax Z1-p. My travel film is Kodak Ektachrome 100, which I also get mounted.

Phil.

PS I finally found an OEM soft case for my MZ-S, so that's the camera I'm taking on my next trip in April to NYC. (Still E100 for the film)
02-11-2024, 10:24 AM   #4
Forum Member

1. Pentax MX with 35mm or 50mm lenses. Its design, size and feel is what I like the most. It is my favorite.

2. Konica Autoreflex T4 (with 35mm or 40mm) and Pentax Super A with the same lenses as the MX, because their automatic modes make them faster to use on the street.

3. Some rangefinders such as Olympus SP and Voigtländer VF 101, for their discretion.

My favorite film is Ilford FP4+, sometimes HP5+, which I develop with Rodinal 1+100 semi stand.

Regards!

02-12-2024, 03:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My standard film camera is a Pentax P30n. But I also shoot other K-mount film cameras from my small collection. As I only want to keep working cameras, each one has to prove its worth. At the moment it is a Revueflex SC-3, which is a re-released Chinon CM-4s. Next will be my Pentax MX or a Ricoh KR-10 super, depending on whichs light seal I change first.

I have restarted my film photography with HP5 and FP4. As I do not develop the film myself, I then switched to XP-2 for monochrome photography. Standard C-41 process and much cheaper when scanned by the lab.
I have also tried various colour and slide films and for colour I would probably use the Fuji Pro 400H if it was still available. But as it is not, I have to look for another colour film. Currently on my list: Kodak Professional Pro Image 100 (which, despite its name, is a consumer film), Kodak Porta 160 or one of the Lomo negatives. I think it will end up being a Lomo. I will definitely buy a Lomo Metropolis as well.

Back in the days of film, I used to shoot Ektachrome 64 and Kodakchrome 25/64 when I could afford the latter.