Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2024, 06:32 AM   #1

Lens Cleaning

What ho one and all,

I want to buy some lens cleaning fluid but am confused as to what to buy. I had Eclipse E2 for cleaning the sensor but the plastic bottle has shattered and I have lost it all! I assume that if it is OK of a sensor, it is OK for cleaning lenses.

A Google search brings up all kinds of products, listed as suitable for spectacles and camera lenses, all at a reasonable price.

But if I search for camera lens cleaning, I get numerous Eclipse Optical Cleaning Fluid for Lens and Sensor at a rather more expensive price.

I do have isopropyl alcohol but not sure if this is suitable for lens cleaning.

What is the benefit of expensive Eclipse products over another product that also suggests it is OK for lenses and sensors?

Is Eclipse better than anything else or am I just giving the company directors a boost to their bonus?

Thanks and toodle pip

04-01-2024, 06:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this thread: Perfectly clean optics - PentaxForums.com
04-01-2024, 06:55 AM   #3

For general cleaning (not oil), I use a method learned long ago. Distilled Water and Q-tips. Dip the Q-tip in water and apply to the lens in repeating circles from the center to the outside, doesn't take much pressure. Then use dry Q-tips in the same circular motion until the glass is dry. Don't reuse a Q-tip. Helps to have a light that you can view the lens while doing it. Repeat as often as necessary until the glass shows clean under the light. Been doing this for years with excellent results.
04-01-2024, 06:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
Useful; thanks.

04-01-2024, 08:20 AM   #5

Eyeglass lens makers (like Crizal) warn against the regular use of alcohol based cleaners on anti-glare coated lenses. The alcohol based cleaner I have actually warns the check before using on anti-glare coating. Warm water and dish soap is what they normally recommend.

Since eyeglasses are for every day use I wouldn't imagine the coatings are any more fragile than camera optics coatings.

Then there is ROR (Residual Oil Remover) which claims it is safe for all multi-coated optical surfaces. Just follow the directions - spray on lens tissue (not directly on optics) and wipe.
04-01-2024, 08:49 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Then there is ROR (Residual Oil Remover) which claims it is safe for all multi-coated optical surfaces
I've used ROR on the sensor to remove an oil/grease spot but never on a lens. Works great on the sensor for those stubborn spots.
04-01-2024, 11:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps this:

Shop - Lens Clens

04-01-2024, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Organic solvents are the norm. From what I've read ether is/was a standard solvent to use, not so easy to get hold of now, I think you can still find ether based wipes. Note that many/most off the shelf optical wipes are alcohol+ water or even water based. I'll use cheap wipes like that to get the dust + smears off, then dampen a dried out wipe with a drop of acetone to final clean. I remember seeing a webpage or video on wiping technique: a continuous smooth circular motion that slides off the edge without leaving a smear. Definitely use medical/similar gloves to avoid any contamination/smears off your skin.

Some people say acetone is too strong but I've never had an issue.
I use naptha/equivalent (coleman fuel) for things like helicoids, or surfaces that have got something greasy on.
04-01-2024, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use lens cleaning wipes and microfiber cloth. I've scratched plastic eyepiece lenses with q-tips so I don't use them on optics.

04-01-2024, 04:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
For general cleaning (not oil), I use a method learned long ago. Distilled Water and Q-tips. Dip the Q-tip in water and apply to the lens in repeating circles from the center to the outside, doesn't take much pressure. Then use dry Q-tips in the same circular motion until the glass is dry. Don't reuse a Q-tip. Helps to have a light that you can view the lens while doing it. Repeat as often as necessary until the glass shows clean under the light. Been doing this for years with excellent results.
The Qtips and water works but they don't remove the oil.
04-02-2024, 02:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First, I use a blower to remove all visible dust. That can potentially reduce scratches.

Then, I use ROR Residual Oil Remover from B&H. I think it works great.

A PEC pad is handy for cleaning if at home. Otherwise, I use a clean microfiber cloth for optics, which I usually make sure to pack with me.
04-02-2024, 07:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using these Kodak lens cleaning papers for over 50 years, with their liquid solution.

Phil,
Attached Images

04-02-2024, 09:01 AM   #13

I'm really hesitant about applying any petroleum based cleaner to coated optics. From another site this is the composition of ROR

-85.118% Distilled Water
- 9.011% liquid soap
- 4.266% Isopropyl Alcohol
- 0.832% sodium chloride
- 0.755% Ammonia 26 degrees