Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PZ-1P pop up flash disassembly

I picked up a PZ-1P on ebay and everything seems to work except the flash is not popping up. I did some searching on this forum and I was able to find information on how to fix it.

How do I remove the top cover or the pop-up flash on the pz-1p. I removed two screws underneath the eyepiece and two underneath the flash. The top cover wasn't loose at all and I don't want to try and force it off and break it. Is the top cover held into place also with clips or other screws?
Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-01-24 at 10:05 PM ----------

I found the service manual for the Z-1 and I removed the rest of the screws to remove the top cover, However I wasn't able to remove the flash cover. There are two small plastic hooks or pins that I wasn't able to unhook. I don't want to break or damage the plastic so I put the camera back together. I don't really use the flash so I might just leave it as is unless someone can tell me the correct way to remove the flash.

Last edited by Pentaphile; 04-01-2024 at 10:06 PM.
04-02-2024, 07:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know why you are removing the top cover to fix the popup issue. Just remove to 2 screws, one on each side of the popup flash cover. Here is what I previously posted...

The spring goes from the lower plate center hole to a plastic post up by the prism apex. What usually happens is the metal spring breaks off the plastic pin. I've fixed this several ways... I glued a small (3mm) post (clipped from a paper clip) to the spot where the plastic pin was. This method may work for a while but mine eventually popped off. A better method I use now is the get some UV light curing resin and build up a little post...like a whipped cream point... and cure it with the UV light. It gets pretty hard when set and seems to hold. Be sure to prep the spot first by cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and scuffing up the surface with a file to give the resin something to hold onto. If you search this forum you should find my previous posts on this topic.

---------- Post added 07-30-22 at 09:45 AM ----------

Read all about it here...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epentaxforums%...ink_source=app
04-02-2024, 11:23 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks I saw your original post. I was asking how I can remove the plastic clips that attach to the flash without damaging it. I saw someone mention you can squeeze it but I’m not sure how to do it with my limited tools.