Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #1

My LBA turned CBA... a spotmatic finds a new home

So on an impulse, I bought a film camera. I have been playing with my and my girlfriends k100D from woot(just last month!), and fell in love with the full manual primes. The autofocus has failed me in different lighting conditions, and I just have more fun in manual mode anyways.

So when a Spotmatic showed up on CL I pounced. Little did I know what goodies were in store!

Any suggestions on a start? I only have perused the forums looking for vendors for the batteries. I think this should go in the KB! or Maybe I am dumb when it comes to searching. I found the flickr thread
Flickr: Discussing replacement battery in Spotmatic for the People
So I can just use regular button cells?

My finds: (the yellowing is exaggerated due to the lighting. I can't see anything when viewing a white wall through the lenses)

28mm 1:2 Auto-wide vivitar, with collapsible hood and case

50mm 1:1.4 super-multi-coated takumar with hood and case

135mm 1:2.5 super-takumar with hood, case and original DOF guide

2 1A Filters (49mm, 55mm)
2 funky light distorting filters
Popular 303s Flash and flash mount
A ridiculously old blower brush (unopened!)

and an unbelievably good condition spotmatic with a full leather case. With my 105mm/2.8 super multi coated takumar I only need a few more to round out my m42 prime set I may have to sell my m50/1.7 and A-135mm to make up for the amount of money I spend.

Any recommendations for B&W film for a noobie? I already read the manual and cant wait for this weekend to play Seeing mike cash's scans has inspired me to make the jump to the film domain.

So excited! At least it is cheaper than some other hobbies.
-southy

01-15-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just don't mention my name to your girlfriend. I have enough women who hate me already.

I use Fuji Acros (ISO 100) and Fuji Presto (ISO 400). Either that or I just use cheap color negative film and do a b/w conversion on the scanned negative.
01-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations, that's some excellent kit.

To start with, any color print film, or BW400CN / XP2 for b&w, and you can get them developed and scanned at any minilab. I don't ask for prints, as the photo cd is sufficient and cheaper.
01-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Banned

Great camera. Have a Spotmatic and a Yashica Electro X that I use Super-Takumars with; including your 50mm 1.4 and 135mm 3.5