Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
questions on Asahi Pentax S1a or SV with lightmeter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking at what I believe is a Asahi Pentax S1a or Sv with an external light meeter on top of it, leather cases included for both. From pictures the conditions looks to be good, but have not held it.

What would a reasonable price be?

Any chanse that the light meter could work?

Hoping for advice.

01-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The price could be all over the place from $10 to $100 usd for the body and $15 for the meter. The meter has just a good a chance of working as the camera but who knows on a 44+ year old camera.

Edit: A body that has been CLA'd by a competent source would bring more.
01-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Those old meters were pretty simple and sturdy - I think chances are good that it would still work. The price should be around USD 75 to 150. I got a nice H2, almost like new (!) for a bit less than USD 100 (DKK 500).

Here is a good site with information on this old stuff:

PENTAX - 60'er Jahre - Pre-Spotmatic
01-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Those old meters were pretty simple and sturdy - I think chances are good that it would still work. The price should be around USD 75 to 150. I got a nice H2, almost like new (!) for a bit less than USD 100 (DKK 500).

Here is a good site with information on this old stuff:

PENTAX - 60'er Jahre - Pre-Spotmatic
Hi Ole, those are the photos that helped me see what it was, exactly that round light meter (appears to be a square formed one also, but this is the round one), and that special look on the film forward arm or whaterver it is called in English. Seller doesn't appear to know what he/she is selling since it is listed as another brand just because of a lens cap Was not looking for this, but it might be a too good offer.

Did they made the S1a and Sv in black?

01-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I see the refurbished light meter going for about $40~50 on auctions here in Japan. I've never gotten one because I don't think I'd use it that much on my SV. I mostly shoot it Sunny 16 and in cases where I can't do that I have a hotshoe-mount Sekonic L-208 that works just fine.

I believe the SV was made in black, but I have never seen one. I'd love to have one, provided it is in good working condition. I love to collect old cameras, but I expect them to be usable.
01-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Any chanse that the light meter could work?
I've bought several as incidental to other purchases. They tend not to work. You can tell this by looking at the auctions. Usually they are 10.00 - 15.00 and no guarantees or "no battery" or ... Frankly of the three I've gotten one worked kind of intermittently. I was after lenses and parts bodies when I purchased these... in each case the meter had caused damage to the body.

I don't like them a lot. Typically the buffer between them and the prism broke down. Then, in addition to all kind of other opportunities to dent the prism housing when fitting the meter, they would scratch the peak of the prism quite badly. With really bad luck, the battery leaked all over the housing and the finish is ruined.

Really, you want to ask two things: How does the finish on the prism look under the meter... an dents? And... does the meter respond to light? Chances are they don't have a battery, so it's a crap shoot.

I personally stopped buying these cameras with one of these meters fitted unless for parts. If I want one, I'll get a refurbished one and be done with it. But I don't. I use hand held meters. I prefer the small, clean look of these cameras without the meter. Some things are better left to history.

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Did they made the S1a and Sv in black?
Yes for H3v/SV, and Yes for H1a/S1a.

There's a broken SV on eBay right now in black...

Hope this helps.

Seaain
01-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I believe the SV was made in black, but I have never seen one. I'd love to have one, provided it is in good working condition. I love to collect old cameras, but I expect them to be usable.
I have one but it's in a pretty poor state (to the point that the brassy spots on the camera are now green from the 'patina' (as if it was buried in the soil )

01-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I sold an SV and a clip on meter, back in 2002 or 2003 for $100. Canadian

Dave
01-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I've bought several as incidental to other purchases. They tend not to work. You can tell this by looking at the auctions. Usually they are 10.00 - 15.00 and no guarantees or "no battery" or ... Frankly of the three I've gotten one worked kind of intermittently. I was after lenses and parts bodies when I purchased these... in each case the meter had caused damage to the body.

I don't like them a lot. Typically the buffer between them and the prism broke down. Then, in addition to all kind of other opportunities to dent the prism housing when fitting the meter, they would scratch the peak of the prism quite badly. With really bad luck, the battery leaked all over the housing and the finish is ruined.

Really, you want to ask two things: How does the finish on the prism look under the meter... an dents? And... does the meter respond to light? Chances are they don't have a battery, so it's a crap shoot.

I personally stopped buying these cameras with one of these meters fitted unless for parts. If I want one, I'll get a refurbished one and be done with it. But I don't. I use hand held meters. I prefer the small, clean look of these cameras without the meter. Some things are better left to history.

Yes for H3v/SV, and Yes for H1a/S1a.

border="0" alt="" />

There's a broken SV on eBay right now in black...

Hope this helps.

Seaain
There's also a working black SV for BIN on ebay. Its hard to know whether or not it needs a CLA which puts the price in a in between zone. Edit: Here is another black one on ebay with a matching black meter for the low low price of BIn $469!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370143824500&ssPageN...MEWA:IT&ih=024

Last edited by Blue; 01-19-2009 at 05:13 PM.