Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ilford SFX200 pics

Well I got my pics back from Downtown camera.
These shown here where mostly taken using the V. 58mm Nokton, using a Pentax P3 slr.
The film expired in 2005, has near infra red abilities (not that I knew this whilst using it lol), and the pics are untouched jpg's as they came on the disc... except they've been downsized to fit on Flickr.

I hadn't used film for about 8 years till this roll.

This was the first time I used this actual camera, recently purchased on ebay. Seems it meters ok.

Back in the day, the "P30" was my first Pentax SLR, which came with 50mm f1.7 lens.
When I realised about a year ago I could use this same old lens on a modern Digital Pentax, my choice of brand was set, and I bought a K10D. I guess it was a kind of a nostalgic choice, and one I've not regretted since...

Anyway, enough tear jerking lol, here's the pics...

All comments welcome, thanks for looking :-)

Last edited by lbam; 01-19-2009 at 11:36 PM.
01-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooh. I like that.

I've had my eye on that Nokton since before I was sure I was going Pentax.
01-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow... nice! It's like a time machine. Can't wait for my ebay spotmatic to arrive this week.

Beautiful girl btw... great shot of her.
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

very nice!

i like #1 alot, so much detail.

01-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful pics

Very nice pictures, you have a great eye. I especially like the last one.
01-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys...

After every shot I kept checking the back of the camera for results :-( I'm so used to digital now. Interestingly I think digital has taught me a thing or two about various aspects in photography though.. it makes it much easier to try stuff out, which if they work for you, you can then apply to film with less fear.
The P3 viewfinder is "huge" and such a joy compared to the K20D and ZX-L also.
01-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Forum Member

Give us the: filter if any, the EI, and how was it developed (I assume at a lab). Thanks for posting. I am using SFX with a B&W 090 (red) filter and rating it at EI40. I am interested in shooting in situations like you did without a filter. Thanks for any reply.

01-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They are all quite good, but number 1 kicks ass!!!!!......
Man, you just can't get this kind of work with digital.
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

sweet pics kevin! are you gonna shoot more film then?
my favorite is the streetcar photo, my favorite mode of public transport
only criticism is not of you but the lens, the nokton gives very hard highlight rings in #2, but the rest of the bokeh is sweet
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john carter Quote
Give us the: filter if any, the EI, and how was it developed (I assume at a lab). Thanks for posting. I am using SFX with a B&W 090 (red) filter and rating it at EI40. I am interested in shooting in situations like you did without a filter. Thanks for any reply.
As I said at the beginning, the film is near infra red (not that I knew this at the time), meaning I shot thinking it was just an Ilford B/W film using no filters...

I'd love to see you results with the filter in place .
01-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
sweet pics kevin! are you gonna shoot more film then?
my favorite is the streetcar photo, my favorite mode of public transport
only criticism is not of you but the lens, the nokton gives very hard highlight rings in #2, but the rest of the bokeh is sweet
Thanks Simon.
Yes, the Nokton is great, and is perfect for films camera's in action, but for once the bokeh in this situation let it down a little.. I'm not sure which lens would of done better though... the rest of the blur is fine.
I have two more expired films to get through, one a Kodak 400 of some colour type is already loaded in the P3, and another Kodak of some type (lol) 200 asa, waiting to be popped in either the P3 or the ZX-L (which now has new batteries).
I'll probably use one of the two camera's alongside the K20D in a model shoot next month for fun. The K20D will do the bulk of the shot's though.
So yes, I'm gonna shoot more film!