Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
There was a 35/2.3 for sale locally for $125...sleeping bag and all.

I'd say, without a second guess, that you got a steal
Awesome! Good to hear.

QuoteOriginally posted by speedoo Quote
Josh, what a coincidence... I just brought home a haul purchased through craigslist that includes a 1:6.3 300mm Tele-Takumar... looks exactly like yours, mint condition, with a case, lens hood and the caps both stay on just fine. My front cap is the usual Asahi Pentax metal cap.
Nice haul speedoo. The front cap on my 300mm is an Asahi metal cap, but the material (felt I think) around the inside radius which gives the cap purchase on the lens is worn out or compressed, and doesn't add enough friction. The cap will fall off if I hold the lens with the cap pointed down (which makes putting it back in the case difficult).

01-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Darn I should have bought that lens last summer... I like that spacey bokeh. I try to find lenses that do it. The smooth stuff is pretty to look at, but I enjoy getting lost in the messy colors...

If you tire of it, let me know! I would love to play with it for a while.

I like the contrast B&W you posted... Just a little "I feel Lucky" and the color gets all up in there too...
Ok Gus, you're first on the list if I decide to give it up. That IFL looks great. I played with bringing out that orange glow, and liked it, but went with the b&w in honor of the ancient lens. Maybe I need to install Picasa just for the IFL .
01-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm, sacrilecious Taks....

Woops, drooled on the keyboard...
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #19

just purchased a similar haul, still waiting for the gf to fill up a roll of film to get it developed. some of us have to work during the day

01-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote

Well... Ok... though I hate to be the definitive voice in the database...
For all three of those lenses, you will be the only voice. Perhaps even the only voice on the entire Web...

Steve
01-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote
just purchased a similar haul, still waiting for the gf to fill up a roll of film to get it developed. some of us have to work during the day
I've never let work get in the way of taking pictures.
01-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Hmmmmmmmmmm, sacrilecious Taks....

Woops, drooled on the keyboard...
Sacrilecious?... Sounds tasty. My son's been testing my keyboard for drool resistance. Based on our research, you should be fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote
Wow, cool... your girlfriend takes pictures? Lucky!... About this time in the winter, I start to miss work (not so much this winter 'cause I get to be a stay at home dad - which ain't so bad), but about late July, when I've worked 14+hours for the last 11 days sleeping in low-rent hotels an hour's drive from the fire/helibase and breathing smoke all day while flying all day in 100°F/40°C heat and I haven't been home in four weeks (pretty much worst case scenario described here - but it happens), I start to miss winter and unemployment ... Yeah, unemployment can be nice (though I have to watch the LBA).

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For all three of those lenses, you will be the only voice. Perhaps even the only voice on the entire Web...

Steve
Gah!... Even more pressure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I've never let work get in the way of taking pictures.
Wise. Sometimes I think it would be nice to take pictures for my work. But would it just be work then? (yeah - sometimes it would just be work)

01-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nice haul speedoo. The front cap on my 300mm is an Asahi metal cap, but the material (felt I think) around the inside radius which gives the cap purchase on the lens is worn out or compressed, and doesn't add enough friction. The cap will fall off if I hold the lens with the cap pointed down (which makes putting it back in the case difficult).
Are you planning on re-sealing this camera or any others? The John Goodman (interslice on ebay) kit will have some appropriate thickness felt in it
01-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Good find and good photos, too! I'm still trying to find a way to source the original Pentax M42 adapter locally, so I'm still holding back on screwmount lens purchases.

Looking forward to more. That 35 does have funky bokeh.
01-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
Inactive Account

A beautiful spotmatic (I haven't researched yet to determine the exact model) w/ attached 1:1.8/55 Super-Takumar (no caps or case for this lens).
It's an original Spotmatic, late model. 1965-1973, though given the collection of glass with it, I am going to guess that someone upgraded from an early model, and that it was not their first upgrade. Given this profile I'd expect that your serial number would tend to be lower than higher in the production range. Just a dumb guess. Unfortunately, there is not authoritative source that list S/N data against production years.

Please see: Asahi Pentax And Pentax Slr 35mm ... - Google Book Search

A Takumar 1:3.5/135 preset (I think that's the right term) with original case but no caps...
Yes, correct terminology. Nice lens. This is a very old lens. Grandfather of the Super Takumar version. There was an Auto-Takumar version as well. This is an example of a lens that made all four transitions. That was not for NO reason. It is quite attractive in this chrome garb, and frankly, I learned on presets and STILL prefer them over Super Takumars all other things being equal.

This 1957 lens in a collection of lenses that also includes a later Auto-Takumar leads me to believe that the person who had this outfit had been a loyal Pentax person for some time when they purchased the Spotmatic. I know... Forest Service. Same thing... they seem to have been loyal to the brand and upgraded regularly.

The filter size is 46mm for purposes of getting a cap that fits... the later Super Takumars adopted the 49mm "standard" size. Rear cap is obviously the same. If you can find a chrome one, all the better.

An Auto-Takumar 1:2.3/35 - you can "cock" the aperture as described by woof here. Got a case and a rear cap for this one but no front cap.
A personal favorite. They used to sell for a lot of money. Easier to come by now for some reason, but still a really, really nice find. A MUST have lens for the serious collector, this lens in part is what made Pentax competitive in photojournalist circles at the time since it was a very high quality, wide and FAST lens. It is not as heavy/front heavy as it looks. A joy to use.

Congrats. Looks like you have one of the better deals I've ever seen. Keep us posted on progress.

woof!
01-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have some extra Tak screw on end caps, Let me know if you need them.
01-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Are you planning on re-sealing this camera or any others? The John Goodman (interslice on ebay) kit will have some appropriate thickness felt in it
I may have to re-seal it??? I really don't know film much (had an AE-1 Program but was hardly a photographer).

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Good find and good photos, too! I'm still trying to find a way to source the original Pentax M42 adapter locally, so I'm still holding back on screwmount lens purchases.

Looking forward to more. That 35 does have funky bokeh.
The 35 does indeed have funky bokeh. Meters weird too on my K20D, and exhibits amazing CA wide open... OTOH, I love how it looks and it's uniqueness, and I may like it's performance better on the Spotmatic. We'll see.

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
It's an original Spotmatic, late model. 1965-1973, though given the collection of glass with it, I am going to guess that someone upgraded from an early model, and that it was not their first upgrade. Given this profile I'd expect that your serial number would tend to be lower than higher in the production range. Just a dumb guess. Unfortunately, there is not authoritative source that list S/N data against production years.

Yes, correct terminology. Nice lens. This is a very old lens. Grandfather of the Super Takumar version. There was an Auto-Takumar version as well. This is an example of a lens that made all four transitions. That was not for NO reason. It is quite attractive in this chrome garb, and frankly, I learned on presets and STILL prefer them over Super Takumars all other things being equal.

This 1957 lens in a collection of lenses that also includes a later Auto-Takumar leads me to believe that the person who had this outfit had been a loyal Pentax person for some time when they purchased the Spotmatic. I know... Forest Service. Same thing... they seem to have been loyal to the brand and upgraded regularly.

The filter size is 46mm for purposes of getting a cap that fits... the later Super Takumars adopted the 49mm "standard" size. Rear cap is obviously the same. If you can find a chrome one, all the better.

A personal favorite. They used to sell for a lot of money. Easier to come by now for some reason, but still a really, really nice find. A MUST have lens for the serious collector, this lens in part is what made Pentax competitive in photojournalist circles at the time since it was a very high quality, wide and FAST lens. It is not as heavy/front heavy as it looks. A joy to use.

Congrats. Looks like you have one of the better deals I've ever seen. Keep us posted on progress.

woof!
Thanks for all the info woof. The Spotmatic was serviced by honeywell in December 1973 according to a sticker on the inside of the back, so I'm guessing it dates to before then. There are two numbers stamped into the exterior, on top between the rewind knob and the prism is 2865565, and on the back on the bottom right corner is 23102.

The 135 is amazing... photos to follow.

As for it being one of the better deals you've seen, I was hoping it was as good as I thought. I researched for about 10 minutes before clicking "buy it now" and kept thinking it might be gone when I got back to it... twas stressful.
01-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I have some extra Tak screw on end caps, Let me know if you need them.
sent you a pm... thanks.
01-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I may have to re-seal it??? I really don't know film much (had an AE-1 Program but was hardly a photographer).
Open the film door and look for sticky black stuff around the edges on the body. If they look ok and aren't coming apart they're good.

Also look at the mirror bumper and see if it's disintegrating or sticky. If it's either/both, you'll have to redo them.

It's not hard at all...John's kit is cheap, complete, and gives instructions on doing it. I've done 4 cameras now...it's kind of fun actually
01-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
more shots from today...

Exercised the 35/2.3 and the 135/3.5 preset today, and I'll show you a few from each. The shots are all RAW files shot wide open (I think) and converted in Lightroom. Some have a bit of levels/curves adjustments, some have obvious B&W conversions. Sharpening was the Lr default amount, nothing added.

I'm finding the Auto Takumar 1:2.3/35 to be a strange beast... Shot wide open it seems somewhat soft, lacking in contrast and exhibiting much CA, and I shot it mostly wide open today. I'm thinking I may like the lens more on film... Here's a few from it, mostly hit with Lightrooms High Contrast B&W settings. (sorry they're so boring)...

Small flowers are blooming... must be a spring.

My old Chocolate Lab...

Sittin' around...

The Takumar 1:3.5/135 (preset) however is amazing. Easily as sharp as the DA*50-135, with great color and contrast, the only minor gripe is a tiny hint of CA, but really not bad - I'd estimate less than the DA* 16-50 exhibits (though keep in mind it's only my second day playing with this lens.) Here's some from the 135/3.5...

more flowers...

weird cages in the neighbors garden...

100% crop from the last shot. Keep in mind this is wide open with a 50 year old lens.

Amazing yeah?

100% crop of chimney cover to show very limited CA...

Love this one...