Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #1

black ring around photo?

Hey everyone, a few of my photos from my K2, came out with a black ring around it. Sometimes its only black on the corners. Is this because I had the aperture all the way down (on 4)? It is more evident in darker photos but it also happened on shots from the middle of the day. Here are some examples:

01-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lens is it you've got on there? Any hoods, filters? It looks like you may have some vignetting of some kind, or some sort of falloff at the corners, but I can't discern what sort from here. You do see it with some older lenses, and you might get it if what you have on there wasn't meant to be a full-frame lens. Or just cause it seems that's a very wide lens, sometimes you see that.

('Stopped down, btw,' is the higher numbers.)

And. Home!

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-21-2009 at 10:16 PM.
01-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
What lens is it you've got on there? Any hoods, filters? It looks like you may have some vignetting of some kind, or some sort of falloff at the corners, but I can't discern what sort from here. You do see it with some older lenses, and you might get it if what you have on there wasn't meant to be a full-frame lens. Or just cause it seems that's a very wide lens, sometimes you see that.

('Stopped down, btw,' is the higher numbers.)

And. Home!

It says "SMC PENTAX MACRO 1:4/50" and I have a 52mm UV filter on it.

And about the aperture... So "stopped down" means a smaller aperture? I had it on 4, the most open on this camera. So what would that terminology be?
01-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Damn Brit

You are shooting to infinity with a macro. This is one macro that should be used for it's intended purpose and maybe portraits but not landscapes.
Here's a link to the reviews on it; Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F4 Macro I'm sure they will enlighten you as to it's strengths. and weaknesses.

01-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

WHAT??? I use photoshop to insert vignetting into my pictures. lol
01-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is normal. Almost all lenses have some degree of vignetting at fully open aperture -- that would be f/4 for this lens, which also appears to have more of a vignetting problem than others, and as others have pointed out, you're using a macro lens for landscapes, which is hardly optimal. However, if you had shot these at something like f/8 or f/11 there would probably be no vignetting even with this macro lens. That said, I think the vignetting is pretty in the first of the photos you posted
01-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
WHAT??? I use photoshop to insert vignetting into my pictures. lol
same here
yes, vignetting can be pretty...

01-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
OK this makes sense. Thanks everyone