Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Loaded film in it today. That was a good 15 minute project for my feeble brain.

Taking it out now, as there is some decent light. I'll stop at the park downtown to take some pics, hope to get them developed next week. Considering the relative merits of negative scanners and home developing, but for now it will be shop-processing. I just want to get a roll thru it to make sure everything works as it should.

01-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Forum Member

What kind of film are you using? Traditional B&W can be cheaply developed at home. Local mini-labs will often develop-only print film for about a dollar a roll, and if you can wait a week of turnaround you can send slide film off for development. Home-scanning the negatives is a pretty easy way to get a full control of workflow, especially for color film. If you are used to digital cameras, negative scanning pretty much turns your film cameras into digital cameras, with a slightly slower download process. Keep your negatives though. Getting prints made at minilabs is only good for snapshots and proofs because you have no control. But then, you do get your negatives too, which can always be re-scanned, so the prints can simply be a convenient method of proofing, if you don't mind the money.
01-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are having trouble loading film it may be worth picking up the cheapest roll you can find and practicing with it a bunch of times. Even asking for an expired roll at a camera store might be worthwhile if they'll cut a deal or give you an exposed/damaged roll for free.

Way back in middle school when I first took a photography course we used exposed rolls to practice loading the cameras with. Normally you tried to keep the leader out when rewinding but you can pop the top of the canister off (possibly with a bottle opener?) and pull the leader out again if it is rewound all the way in.

After years of practice I'm to the point where I can load my k1000 by touch in the dark if I have to and swap out rolls under normal conditions in less than a minute, mainly because as a yearbook photographer it wasn't unheard of to burn through 10+ rolls in a week.
01-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shoot mostly landscapes, so I had picked up some Fuji Rialla 100 and Ilford Delta 100. Threw in the Fuji to go test the camera, and mostly just misunderstood the exposure counter -- it somehow knew how long the leader was and wanted me to advance the film that far.

Once I got that sorted it really wasn't a problem, just a bit different.

I'll likely end up shooting mostly B&W with the film camera, and if that is the case, I'll get a good scanner and start developing at home. For now I just wanted to get a roll thru the camera to test it (and me) and then get it developed quickly. I have a good shop nearby that will develop only, or develop and put on a CD, or develop to prints. I'll have the first set put on a CD, then evaluate from there.

Thanks for the advice re: film loading and printing processes, this is all a bit new to me.

02-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
I have a good shop nearby
You are lucky!
02-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BetterSense Quote
You are lucky!
Don's Photo | Home

Regional chain, they serve MB/SK/AB, and from what I can tell, do not suck.
02-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rediscovered My dads Me super(didnt find it on that site for manuals)It came with the M 50mm f/1.7.When on my honeymoon(many many yrs ago)in Fuji I bought a sigma lenses thinking it was for the pentax but recently found it to be a KPR mount .So its loaded with some film so the wait is on

cheers

02-02-2009, 04:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Manual for the ME Super in pentax-manuals.com
02-02-2009, 04:45 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Put first the leader within the white needles, then extend the roll and put the cassete in the slit.
Then wind the lever once to check everything is OK, and the sprockets are in the sprocket wheel.

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Loaded film in it today. That was a good 15 minute project for my feeble brain.

Taking it out now, as there is some decent light. I'll stop at the park downtown to take some pics, hope to get them developed next week. Considering the relative merits of negative scanners and home developing, but for now it will be shop-processing. I just want to get a roll thru it to make sure everything works as it should.
02-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have always put the film cartridge into the body first and then pulled out film to feed into the take-up slot, winding on and then perhaps snugging up with the rewind lever before closing the back.
02-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #26
Forum Member

Ya me too. I also use the little serrated thumb wheel inside the camera back on the take-up spool to wind it over just until both sprockets catch. And then after closing the back and gently snugging up the rewind crank, be sure to see if the rewind crank spins when you work the cocking lever, to confirm that everything is working. But I'm sure everyone does it differently.