Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Special Report from Japan: Pentax goes Bayonet

From the September 1975 Popular Photography magazine:

Large sizes available:
PENTAX GOES BAYONET on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

01-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

History made. At least for us Pentax users.

Again, I took the liberty of grabbing it. Keep 'em scans coming Nesster!
01-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

unfortunately pentax took too long to switch to bayonet

thanks for the scan
01-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Banned

nice piece of history. thank you for sharing that with us.

01-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

awesome, good read.
01-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, Pentax was slow with the bayonet. And the M series that arrived about a year later. Note Oly was the hot brand with the OM1 and were going to come out with the OM2.

The other brands were caught unawares by Olympus as well. I scanned a few camera ads from the same issue - Nikon was rolling out the Nikkormat FT2, Minolta was pushing the SRT series, Canon had the FTb and EF, and even poor Miranda was still trying with the Sensorex line. Oh, and Contax had the RTS.
01-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, that OM1 really showed the big boys that a small SLR was possible. I thank Olympus for bringing us to the ME/MX era.

I'm not too concerned about how Pentax was late to the party with bayonet. We're still reaping the benefits of the mount still, with one of the best backwards compatibility among mounts today. I can't say it's the best, though, since the 4/3 and m4/3 mount can take in a whole lot of different lenses via simple adapters.

01-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IIRC screwmount models stayed in the Pentax catalog for a time (until sold out, I assume).
I remember passionate arguments regarding the advantages of one mount versus the other...

Chris
01-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The right side provides teasing snippets of an article on the Konica C35 Automatic, a perfectly delightful compact 35mm rangefinder with auto-exposure. Wonderful little cameras.

The problem I have with reading articles like this or looking at old catalogs is that I can't help but get as excited as though they were brand-new and find myself eagerly wanting to order the stuff.
01-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In 1976 my Spotmatic w/ 50mm f1.4 lens was stolen and my insurance co replaced it with a KM and 50mm f1.4. I remember being really po'd because they wouldn't replace the rest of my screwmount lenses that hadn't been stolen with bayonet lenses that I could use on my new camera.

I still have the KM and lens!!
01-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
In 1976 my Spotmatic w/ 50mm f1.4 lens was stolen and my insurance co replaced it with a KM and 50mm f1.4. I remember being really po'd because they wouldn't replace the rest of my screwmount lenses that hadn't been stolen with bayonet lenses that I could use on my new camera.

I still have the KM and lens!!
Pentax had the m42 adapter available then. I hope you got one.
01-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IIRC screwmount models stayed in the Pentax catalog for a time (until sold out, I assume).
I remember passionate arguments regarding the advantages of one mount versus the other...
My father's claimed reason for going with m42 over k mount was that the screw mount would let him tighten the lens down to the body no matter how old the lens was whereas the bayonet mount would supposedly have a sloppy fit as it was used and wore down. Considering how well lenses and bodies for both mounts have lasted it seems like either was a good choice.
01-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
My father's claimed reason for going with m42 over k mount was that the screw mount would let him tighten the lens down to the body no matter how old the lens was whereas the bayonet mount would supposedly have a sloppy fit as it was used and wore down. Considering how well lenses and bodies for both mounts have lasted it seems like either was a good choice.
I remember that line of reasoning regarding bayonet lenses, though I don't recall ever hearing of a worn-out mount.

Steve

(Maybe with some of the modern plastic mount lenses?)
01-30-2009, 03:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The right side provides teasing snippets of an article on the Konica C35 Automatic, a perfectly delightful compact 35mm rangefinder with auto-exposure. Wonderful little cameras.

The problem I have with reading articles like this or looking at old catalogs is that I can't help but get as excited as though they were brand-new and find myself eagerly wanting to order the stuff.
Heh heh heh. Yes the C35 is reviewed in the issue. And there's an ad I'll post...

I read through the mag, and it's about the same - give or take - as today's Pop Photo. A lot of thinly re-formatted promotional stuff. Pros giving advice. How to articles that sometimes are excellent, sometimes astoundingly amateurish. And pontification about current trends. So mostly fluff, but with a handful of good, useful sentences mixed in. Back in the day I subscribed to Modern, got my basic photo education that way. When the articles started to repeat too much (ie. about 1.5 years) I eventually let the subscription lapse.

This particular issue had a lot of talk about 110 film. Pentax hadn't yet come out with the SLR.

Sometimes people wonder - and we forget, those of us who were somewhat around back when - how people learned about the equipment back when.

Well, the mags had a bit more character in the front-of-the-book columnists. We all know about Keppler. Well, Norm Rothschild was in a similar vein - pointing out curmudgeonly things... There was a long-running vintage camera column... and the magazines gave at least some coverage to photo shows and books. And specific brands had their own clubs and newsletters. The kind of stuff nowadays is mostly online.

Oh, and while Shutterbug was THE used equipment resource, the big mags had enough used ads to get a sense of the market.
01-30-2009, 05:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The only thing I know about Keppler is his third law of planetary motion.