Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got one... and I like it... there's a light show, and some complications.

The metering modes work as advertised - the Auto Pict really is a matrix program mode, where the exposure program is set based on lens, light, focus etc input. There is a plain program, as well as those alternate ones. Av, Tv, manual all supported. In manual if using camera body to set aperture, the process is a bit of a pain - you have to push a button with your left hand while toggling with your right.

The biggest issue for me may be the absence of continuous focus setting, except in the 'sport' program. I read the manual and as far as I can tell, that's the only way you can get continous focus.

And yeah, the view finder's a bit small, reminds me of a small movie screen.

I got the battery grip with it - and I'm not sure I like it. The camera does look good with a 43 or DA70 on it.

08-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nesster,

That is why I held out for an MZ-3. I actually was leaning towards the PZ-1p. The viewfinder was one of the criteria I used in my personal ranking system. I have a working collection of Pentax film bodies and didn't want more than one AF body.
08-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Ditto - this one's an upgrade/replacement to my very first AF camera, the zx-10. (Now I can do surgery on the 10, as it's toggle switch around the shutter release doesn't work very well in one direction...)
08-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You know, speaking of these top AF film body lists, I wonder which ones people figure are trustworthy for AF accuracy and lower light (Speed's a very secondary concern, the way I shoot, AF-C is not a priority. )

Kind of for my future reference, cause I still don't have the lenses I'd want for film, but the dry eyes that bother me are apparently going to be a yearly thing down here. I think the PZ-1P is a favorite, (Wouldn't sneeze at an MZ-S, of course, but haha. ) I'm mostly wondering what in an AF body is OK that way, in case I spot a bargain.

The SF-1n might be an OK fit, actually, and those seem to go cheap, though you don't hear too much about them.

08-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You know, speaking of these top AF film body lists, I wonder which ones people figure are trustworthy for AF accuracy and lower light (Speed's a very secondary concern, the way I shoot, AF-C is not a priority. )

Kind of for my future reference, cause I still don't have the lenses I'd want for film, but the dry eyes that bother me are apparently going to be a yearly thing down here. I think the PZ-1P is a favorite, (Wouldn't sneeze at an MZ-S, of course, but haha. ) I'm mostly wondering what in an AF body is OK that way, in case I spot a bargain.

The SF-1n might be an OK fit, actually, and those seem to go cheap, though you don't hear too much about them.
The Z-1P has a red veil AF-assist light. Works well to get the shots in low-light. But it does slow down the speed, since you have to wait for it to kick in. But I find accuracy good. (Though for wide aperture, I guess split-prism and manual focus would be even more precise).

Can't speak of MZ-S or MZ-3 low light AF speed, don't have them
08-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
The Z-1P has a red veil AF-assist light. Works well to get the shots in low-light. But it does slow down the speed, since you have to wait for it to kick in. But I find accuracy good. (Though for wide aperture, I guess split-prism and manual focus would be even more precise).

Its just my initial impressions, but I think the AF is as fast and maybe more accurate on the K20d in low light.
08-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

Hrm, yeah. Nothing like my old Canon F-1N and a 1.2 for the manual focus option, (it's why I bought that lens, much more than the sheer speed, actually (The non-L version is fairly soft at 1.2, anyway) : snappy focusing. Sometimes the eyes are just unhappy, though. (must remember to put eye-moistening drops on list. ) That's where the interest in eventually having an AF film body to fall back on comes in. Short of an LX, it seems there's no finder to be had like the F-1's, anyway. This ME Super's obviously nice, that way, but the metering's a pain, as is changing lenses, I actually have some hopes for this Super A, once I get a chance to clean the little fellow up. )

In briefer terms, sometimes the AF is just quicker than me doubting myself.

Anyone with an opinion of the SF-1n?

08-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've got a SF-1n sitting in a drawer (failsafe backup for the PZ-1p). Noisy, but very reliable. However, if you have a Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 lens (APO or Non APO), it may not autofocus on the body at all. At the very least, mine doesn't on my SF-1N
08-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm, yeah. Nothing like my old Canon F-1N and a 1.2 for the manual focus option, (it's why I bought that lens, much more than the sheer speed, actually (The non-L version is fairly soft at 1.2, anyway) : snappy focusing. Sometimes the eyes are just unhappy, though. (must remember to put eye-moistening drops on list. ) That's where the interest in eventually having an AF film body to fall back on comes in. Short of an LX, it seems there's no finder to be had like the F-1's, anyway. This ME Super's obviously nice, that way, but the metering's a pain, as is changing lenses, I actually have some hopes for this Super A, once I get a chance to clean the little fellow up. )

In briefer terms, sometimes the AF is just quicker than me doubting myself.

Anyone with an opinion of the SF-1n?
The Z-1P is probably the pentax AF film cam that has seen the most Pro action. Here is some more info on it :
Pentax pioneer (long post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I find it extremely rugged, though it won't win any beauty contests. And using AF under the forest canopy results in the camera having to do some serious low-light work. And I guess it was still good enough for National Geographic.

The SF-1n was prior to the Z-1P, so I would think not up to the same levels performance wise.

The MZ-S was a favorite of RiceHigh
But the MZ-S commands a high price

I would expect the metering on the MZ-5N to also be good.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 08-11-2009 at 02:09 AM.