Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
critique please

Here are a couple of recent ones. I took these yesterday. ME SUPER with Tokina 28 F/2.8 and T-MAX 400

I tried some editing which I normally do not due. Let me know if I over cooked them.
I was going for a more Artsy look.

02-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's heavy JPEG artifacting going on in those copies which makes it hard to judge accurately. It's really apparent in the jagged lines of the white grout of the dark tiles in #1 & #3 and the arms of the guy in #3.

Having said that, I much prefer natural film grain to induced varieties and to me it doesn't seem right for TMAX shots with a mottled look. Does that make sense?

And having said that, I rather like the contrasting moods between 1 & 3. Together they make an effective commentary on life is what you make of it.

Last edited by Venturi; 02-03-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added comments on the actual photos :)
02-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

They do look pretty mottled for T-max, also just a bit odd, like some of the hyper-processed digital shots.

I dig the little details, in shot 3, is that a racoon on a leash? And a hookah/bong?
02-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
I dig the little details, in shot 3, is that a racoon on a leash? And a hookah/bong?
To me it looks more like a cat on a leash, and some type of street water-spicket thing. Could be wrong though...

02-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

looks kinda overcooked and grainy to me :/
02-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I gotta be honest here... Too much sharpening, too harsh contrast. The poster in #2 looks hideous and there are unsharp mask halos around a lot of things, such as the guy's dark clothing against the bright building in the first picture, which otherwise has a nice feel to it. Looks to me more like digital, heavily Photoshopped pictures than actual black and white film. I doubt that's what you wanted to achieve Could you post original unprocessed scans for comparison?
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #7

2nd one's definately overcooked , but if you were trying to get an old newspaper effect I think they kind of work. All depends on your intent really, but I'd trying knocking the effects back a little.

02-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Personally I think all of them have obvious post-processing in them. I think sharpening was the culprit this time, and harsh contrast. Mellow those down and you've got yourself 3 winners.
02-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

if you look at pic #1

you will see the halo outline around the drummer, i used to post process heavily and get that all the time

over time i started to dislike it

so my personal opinion is if you start to see said halos, back off
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
There's heavy JPEG artifacting going on in those copies which makes it hard to judge accurately. It's really apparent in the jagged lines of the white grout of the dark tiles in #1 & #3 and the arms of the guy in #3.
Thanks for pointing that out. I had not noticed.
QuoteQuote:
Having said that, I much prefer natural film grain to induced varieties and to me it doesn't seem right for TMAX shots with a mottled look. Does that make sense?
Thanks again. I did infact introduce more grain to the the image. The mistake was that I discovered the Grain filter in CS3. Fake grain does not seem to blend in with real grain was my thought. Hence the critique request.
QuoteQuote:
And having said that, I rather like the contrasting moods between 1 & 3. Together they make an effective commentary on life is what you make of it.
Thank you for that. I to like those two images. As for the second, it was more of trying to salvage a badly exposed image.
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
They do look pretty mottled for T-max, also just a bit odd, like some of the hyper-processed digital shots.

Thank for the comments. That is actually a cat. Even up close it does look like a coon. As for the mottled, I unfortunately also discovered the burn tool. Will need to put that one away.
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
looks kinda overcooked and grainy to me :/
Thank you for the comments. I thought so too. This was why I put them up for c.c. Since I am new to this type of PP work, it is hard for me to judge in my own excitement of when I have burned the beans...
02-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I gotta be honest here... Too much sharpening, too harsh contrast. The poster in #2 looks hideous and there are unsharp mask halos around a lot of things, such as the guy's dark clothing against the bright building in the first picture, which otherwise has a nice feel to it. Looks to me more like digital, heavily Photoshopped pictures than actual black and white film. I doubt that's what you wanted to achieve Could you post original unprocessed scans for comparison?
Erik, This is exactly the kind of Critique I was after. I can take the C.C. no problem. I will post up the originals in a minute. Thank you!
02-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HouseOfHorla Quote
2nd one's definately overcooked , but if you were trying to get an old newspaper effect I think they kind of work. All depends on your intent really, but I'd trying knocking the effects back a little.
Actually, I was after an old nostalgic look, but obviously failed. That's ok, I will try again. Thank you
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Personally I think all of them have obvious post-processing in them. I think sharpening was the culprit this time, and harsh contrast. Mellow those down and you've got yourself 3 winners.
Thanks a bunch. The one thing I did not do was any sharpening, although adding grain had the same effect. I will post up the originals in a minute.