Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Those of you with an LX & Winder...

How do you find the balance of the camera with the winder? I'd imagine you'd have to use an accessory grip, but even that seems inadequate compared to the built in grip columns of most every other winder/motordrive.

Any issues I should know about reliability, battery doors, noise levels, etc? I only have a noisy winder MX with a 'broken' battery door (held on by a custom bolt), and it doesn't wind in (S) until I release the shutter button. Apparently winder LX winds as soon as the shutter's tripped.

02-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The balance is fine. I do have the small grip on the LX that I keep the winder on (I have 3 LX bodies).
Do make sure that you put the cover caps from the body into the holders in the winder so you don't lose them, and don't ever remove the winder from the body if there is film in the camera, since the film will be light fogged.
I don't recall any issues with the battery compartment, the latching mechanism seems to be well built. The winder is a bit noisy, as one would expect from an 80s era motor drive where everything is controlled by mechanical parts rather than electronic controls.
02-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I handled one once, (I think it had the little body grip on it, as well, if I'm remembering correctly.) Had generally a positive impression. I wouldn't worry about the winder not having a grip, though, this can actually work pretty nice (I like the old Winder A2 on the old Canon A series, actually handles great. )
02-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are worried about the size of the grip you can try to find an LX grip A, it's larger and will extend over the winder. However I would not worry about it, LX with winder and grip B feels rigid and there is no problem with handling.

02-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grip B seemed to work fine. Unfamiliar with Grip A but it sounds useful.

I always preferred the winder for the LX to the motor (unless I was ripping fast frames on critters or needed to use an accessory that only fit with the motor drive). Build quality was never a problem for me either. Two frames a second was fast enough, and though a bit loud, it isn't a screaming high pitched whiney loud as some motors of that era...

If you need some accessories, I have a few LX Winder accessories left in a marketplace post. I believe the topic was LX Motor Drive System and Accessories or something like that...remote cords, IR remote, studio power type stuff.
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Grip B seemed to work fine. Unfamiliar with Grip A but it sounds useful.

I always preferred the winder for the LX to the motor (unless I was ripping fast frames on critters or needed to use an accessory that only fit with the motor drive). Build quality was never a problem for me either. Two frames a second was fast enough, and though a bit loud, it isn't a screaming high pitched whiney loud as some motors of that era...

If you need some accessories, I have a few LX Winder accessories left in a marketplace post. I believe the topic was LX Motor Drive System and Accessories or something like that...remote cords, IR remote, studio power type stuff.
I looked up that thread, have you sold the motor drive and winder?
02-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still have the motor drive (and back up motor drive for parts). The winder isn't with the other items and I may have sold it when I sold my LX to Frank (forum regular). I'll dig a bit deeper...
Sending a PM for us to exchange details as needed...