Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

idiot question again

I have a problem with my ME it appears that the film was improperly installed by me i know a noob mistake. the problem is that I cant get it to rewind and I have no idea how to get it out the lever to open the door will not lift. Do i need to send it in to have it taken apart in order to get the film out or is there anything any of you can suggest to open it ?

02-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I have a problem with my ME it appears that the film was improperly installed by me i know a noob mistake. the problem is that I cant get it to rewind and I have no idea how to get it out the lever to open the door will not lift. Do i need to send it in to have it taken apart in order to get the film out or is there anything any of you can suggest to open it ?
Possible idiot response - are you holding in the little button on the bottom plate of the camera when you wind the crank?
02-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yep there doesnt seem to be any resistance on the rewind when i hold the button down the rewind lever just turns
02-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You did press the film release button on the bottom plate of the camera before trying to rewind the film?

If the film is exposed and you don't want to ruin it then you might consider working in a blacked out closet or somewhere equivalent if you decide to pop the back open. I'm not sure what would keep the rewind lever from lifting to pop the back open, on my K series bodies it takes a little bit of force but pops up fine when you catch a fingernail under it.

02-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

gokenin,

1. There is no lever to open the door on the ME. You must lift up the rewind knob.

2. Is it possible the film never advanced, hence no resistance? Try turning the rewind knob without pressing the rewind button. If there is no resistance either the film did not advance or ---- there is no film in the camera.
I have done that. (Don't tell anyone.)

Mickey
02-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Whoops, a little too slow typing my response. If the button on the bottom doesn't turn when you turn the rewind lever and the rewind lever turns freely then the film should be rewound all the way (on a K or Spotmatic body, never actually handled an ME).
02-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
am not sure if the film advanced at all but will try to lift the lever again maybe it just need a little persuasion is all

02-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
yep there doesnt seem to be any resistance on the rewind when i hold the button down the rewind lever just turns
In that case the film has already been fully rewound into the canister.

I've never encountered a lever that would not lift - it is just inserted into the spool of the film canister about 1/2 inch. There should be no resistance unless the canister itself is somehow twisted in its receiver - perhaps the bottom of the film spool in the canister was not properly seated in the slot. Can you work the crank upward at all? Small bit of force with a flat object under the black disc? I know it isn't easy to know how much force to apply for fear of breaking the assembly.

There is a small, flat, hook-shaped catch just under the leading edge of the film door that engages the keeper on the inside edge of the door. The crank shaft lifts that catch to open the door when fully extended.

Looking at my MESuper. the crank should lift FREELY about 3/8 inch, where it engages the keeper assembly. Then a gentle pull of another 1/8 inch releases the door. There should be some spring resistance on the crank at the second step. If you can get the crank up to the point of releasing the catch, gently moving the edge of the door downward while gently lifting the edge of the door to "help" disengage the catch might work.

At this point (if you get here) some "assistance" on the leading edge of the door might be necessary to pop the door open.
02-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lifting the rewind knob pulls up on a latch that holds film door closed.
The latch might be the problem, but the foam seals on the film door are far more likely.

Old light seals may have turned to "goo" thus gluing film door shut.
Or if new seals are too thick (as in many amateur jobs) they can wedge film door shut.

You might want to try prying the door slightly while pulling up on the rewind knob.
Good luck!

Chris
02-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe the ME also has a little red/white indicator which moves when film is being drawn past it. You can see it move when winding on film and when rewinding at the end of a roll. If you can turn the rewind crank and NOT see the indicator moving, then it is safe to open the door to remove the film.

It's in the manual.
02-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Lifting the rewind knob pulls up on a latch that holds film door closed.
The latch might be the problem, but the foam seals on the film door are far more likely.

Old light seals may have turned to "goo" thus gluing film door shut.
Or if new seals are too thick (as in many amateur jobs) they can wedge film door shut.

You might want to try prying the door slightly while pulling up on the rewind knob.
Good luck!

Chris
Mike: Eric CLA'ed this camera in March. He's thinking the film canister is somehow wedged into the body incorrectly. The rewind crank will not lift at all (even the 1/2 inch before the latch engages), as if the shaft is stuck in the middle of the film spool and he is concerned about applying too much force to the crank lever itself.

Paul
02-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys i have looked at everything mentioned here and have come to the conclusion something is out of whack with either the latch of the lever so am bringing it to a local shop that does work on pentax cameras