Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #1

Where to buy bulk film?

Hi everyone,

I will be going on vacation down to Florida in a few weeks and will probably be going through many rolls of film. As I am new to photography I've only tried a couple different types of films, and my favorite color film is Kodak Ektar 100. I've looked at a couple online suppliers (Adorama, B&H) and it seems like they only sell this per roll. Is there an online supplier that might sell this film in large bulk (20-30 rolls maybe) to save money?

Thanks,
Ted

02-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #2

You could simply buy 20-30 rolls (that's quite a bit of film!) from either. As to *boxes* of large quantities of rolls, I dunno that Kodak even sells those. I'm 99% sure that they don't sell it in 100 foot rolls, either.
02-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'd say to give any or all of the major retailers a call and see what they can do for you.
Another source is Freestyle but they show it as singles also. I'm sure someone would be willing to make you a deal if you are purchasing 30 rolls.
02-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

usually the "bulk" prices from B&H that i've seen are the same price as buying them individually. you get a nice box at least for fuji. i have a box of 400H and Press 800 in my freezer.

i think freestyle gives a bit of a discount, for color film i think B&H is cheaper, B&W Freestyle has their own cheaper Arista brands which are copy of the real things

02-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Adorama Camera Representative

Adorama Camera Customer Service

QuoteOriginally posted by thesaxman547 Quote
Hi everyone,

I will be going on vacation down to Florida in a few weeks and will probably be going through many rolls of film. As I am new to photography I've only tried a couple different types of films, and my favorite color film is Kodak Ektar 100. I've looked at a couple online suppliers (Adorama, B&H) and it seems like they only sell this per roll. Is there an online supplier that might sell this film in large bulk (20-30 rolls maybe) to save money?

Thanks,
Ted
So, I thought "what a great idea, why aren't we doing that?"

You'll be pleased to know - I hope - that we have just added a quantity discount for 20 rolls into the system at Adorama, which should show up on our website after our 3 pm (EST) feed.

Next I shall tackle World Peace & of course, the credit crunch!!

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
02-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
So, I thought "what a great idea, why aren't we doing that?"

You'll be pleased to know - I hope - that we have just added a quantity discount for 20 rolls into the system at Adorama, which should show up on our website after our 3 pm (EST) feed.

Next I shall tackle World Peace & of course, the credit crunch!!

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
*creak.* The brick of film is back! Huzzah!

Oh, yeah. *buttonhole* On a not-particularly-film-related note, , the Metz 36 for Pentax is supposed to be available in America, now. Also a thingie from who's their face-generic-stuff-making-guys-that-I-can't-believe-I-lost-the-bookmark-for....Here it is: The 'Tumax' DSL20AF: (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/50595-p-ttl-fla...x-flashes.html ) Provided it does not melt or explode, this must be obained.

The Pentaxian tribe here, cry out for P-TTL flash options. I, a humble FD Canonian who could never afford a T90 and related unit to go with, may have entirely missed the era of true TTL, yet feel for these people. Also, **grumbling ashamedly* might need the little red headlight for *murmuring unintelligibly* Autofocus.* *koff.*

But I, too, have dreamed that one day, I could get a dedicated flash... That did something useful...

Good on you with the film, though.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-16-2009 at 03:25 PM.
02-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you Helen, I sent you an email about my order.

02-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Ted
What part of Florida you visiting?

Helen do you sell bulk 100 ft. rolls of film and cartridges for rolling our own?
02-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

Adorama Camera Customer Service

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote

Helen do you sell bulk 100 ft. rolls of film and cartridges for rolling our own?

Our SKU #BLCP would be for the cartridges, and for the film you would need to enter in the search box on our website "Kodak 100' " and this will bring up all the bulk film we sell.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/ektar/US_disneyPr...?pq-path=14888

Hope this helps

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Last edited by Helen Oster; 02-18-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: additional info
02-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #10

Original Poster

Palmetto. Are there any cool spots for photography down there that I should check out?
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It ees.... A goodness. Now. If I could just stop waffling about whether or not to go back to Ilford...
02-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

Palmetto. Are there any cool spots for photography down there that I should check out?
Well it depends on what you're looking for. There's Fort DeSoto which at sunset would give cool sunsets and is good for fishing too with both a gulf pier and a bay pier. Ft DeSoto is a place a lot of photogs like to take family clients to for really nice beach shots. Just don't forget to bring a gold reflector. There's the Sunshine Skyway (the old bridge is a fishing pier and is another decent spot for pics, it was hit by a barge back in the 80's and they turned it into the pier) and Egmont Key. It all depends how mobile you are. There is Marie Selby Gardens on Sarasota Bay. I love that place. But I am into plants and epiphites and bromeliads. But the grounds and the bay are simply outstanding. Sarasota is also nice. If you wanted to go for a ride then Naples is also really nice. So is Ft. Myers Beach. The natives of Naples are rumored to loan money to the people of West Palm

Naw, I guess I don't really know of any spots.

And it's rumored that you can buy film there too.
02-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well it depends on what you're looking for. There's Fort DeSoto which at sunset would give cool sunsets and is good for fishing too with both a gulf pier and a bay pier. Ft DeSoto is a place a lot of photogs like to take family clients to for really nice beach shots. Just don't forget to bring a gold reflector. There's the Sunshine Skyway (the old bridge is a fishing pier and is another decent spot for pics, it was hit by a barge back in the 80's and they turned it into the pier) and Egmont Key. It all depends how mobile you are. There is Marie Selby Gardens on Sarasota Bay. I love that place. But I am into plants and epiphites and bromeliads. But the grounds and the bay are simply outstanding. Sarasota is also nice. If you wanted to go for a ride then Naples is also really nice. So is Ft. Myers Beach. The natives of Naples are rumored to loan money to the people of West Palm

Naw, I guess I don't really know of any spots.

And it's rumored that you can buy film there too.
Great thanks for the recommendations. I have a question though... When should I use a gold reflector if I get one? Should I use it on all my Florida shots to make them warm or just shots that are in the shade?
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
graphicgr8s

Great thanks for the recommendations. I have a question though... When should I use a gold reflector if I get one? Should I use it on all my Florida shots to make them warm or just shots that are in the shade?
Depending the time of day sometimes you need a little extra to bring out facial features when in the shade. The gold reflector just keeps the suns light warm while adding that detail to the shadows. It's almost like a fill flash but it matches the sunlight better. And I'm talking about the collapsible one's here that are 2 sided gold/silver, gold/white.
Since you say you are new to photography may I suggest Scott Kelby's 2 photography books? (The Digital Photography Book 1 & 2) They are written like he is there with you and although they are written for "digital" they are good for film as well. Oh, and if you get them take them with you. (I bought both and I've been shooting professional for years. They're that good)

So when are you venturing down?

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 02-19-2009 at 07:02 AM.
02-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #15

Original Poster
Depending the time of day sometimes you need a little extra to bring out facial features when in the shade. The gold reflector just keeps the suns light warm while adding that detail to the shadows. It's almost like a fill flash but it matches the sunlight better. And I'm talking about the collapsible one's here that are 2 sided gold/silver, gold/white.
Since you say you are new to photography may I suggest Scott Kelby's 2 photography books? (The Digital Photography Book 1 & 2) They are written like he is there with you and although they are written for "digital" they are good for film as well. Oh, and if you get them take them with you. (I bought both and I've been shooting professional for years. They're that good)

So when are you venturing down?
Thanks for the recommendations. I bought some reflectors and volumes 1 and 2 of Scott Kelby's digital photography books. I must say these are the most enjoyable how-to books I've ever read. I like how he incorporates his sense of humor into each chapter to keep the reader interested. I actually read the first book in two sittings yesterday (but will keep it in my camera bag for when I'm out shooting), and I'm working on the second one now.

Anyway, I'm heading down the week of March 15th... Pretty excited about it. I'm just trying to make sure I have everything (photography-wise) before I go. I started photography in January and only went through a few rolls so I'm still trying to get the hang of things and make sure I am well equipped for the trip. I've been looking over my pictures that have been scanned to my computer and I noticed all of them have scratches.. some minor, some huge. I've actually been thinking about getting a digital before the trip because of the scratches... But also because I feel like now that I have a basic sense of how aperture and shutter interact I want to experiment with different shooting techniques and I'm always hesitant to try things out because I know each press of the shutter costs x amount of money (I'm a college student and might be able to barely swing a digital slr if I know it will be cheaper in the long run)... I would like to still shoot and develop my own black and whites with my K2 ultimately though, while shooting color with the digital.

I apologize for spilling my thoughts and dilemma here, but if anyone has any ideas or tips I would greatly appreciate them.