Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Provia 400X

for Fuji GA645. i'm afraid if i put that in the title, the thread would be moved. i don't think anyone outside this subsection would care, so i hope this can be kept here.

after christmas time, i purchased a Fuji GA645W. this is probably one of the most alien looking cameras ever made Fuji GA645 GA645i GA645W GA645Wi Autofocus Cameras. it is also the easiest to use MF camera ever made. it operates like a point and shoot, has M, P, Av modes awkward Manual Focus if necessary, pop up flash, analog exif, otherwise everything else is fully automatic. film loading, is pretty easy, even if you mess up, the camera knows how far to spool the film. i am too lazy to meter separately and read that the meter was pretty good. i think it underexposed a bit, but no blown highlights anywhere. mines is the 45mm f4 version, equivalent to approx 28mm in 35mm-e terms. in terms of handling, landscape in 35 = portrait in 645 and vice versa. landscape in 645 is kind of awkward on this camera, but i've developed a pretty stable technique.

as for the film itself, first off, this stuff ain't cheap on 35mm, even from the cheapest places. on 120, at $5 USD a roll, it is more palatable. supposedly this can be pushed up to iso 800 or even 1600 with acceptable results. the lab made a hash of the scans tho, the gamma was totally off. i fixed the results in post processing but still it could be better. all of these were taken under different types of indoor lighting but the overall white balance seems to be very good. the grain is actually very good. of course w/ slide, you basically say goodbye to shadow and highlight detail.

so with crap scans, no highlights and shadows, why the heck shoot slide? when you go back to the lab and pick up the film, look at a roll of developed chrome and see exactly what you shot in your hands, you'll understand. and the colours look very very real. i would suggest everyone try some slide film whenever they get the chance at least once in their photographic career.

photos from the canadian auto show. most of them aren't very great and the scans again aren't very good. on the lightbox w/ a loupe, i was in shock. the whole set is here: http://simontam.zenfolio.com/p448450671

Last edited by k100d; 03-01-2009 at 10:36 PM.
03-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I love Provia - it's my go-to slide film these days. It can handle anything with ease and aplomb.

Regarding the exposures on those slides, looks like maybe the camera got confused by the crazy lighting and reflected highlights there.
03-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #3

Agreed with the lighting/metering issue.

But it makes for great pics! Look at all the reflections in the third shot--almost makes the cars look as if they're covered in stars! I love the effect
03-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i really think it's just crap scans, the pictures look like awesomeness on the light table, but maybe a tad dark.

the hardest cars were the white/black cars. the lack of dynamic range is killer.

03-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

i am enjoying these pictures!

hard to explain, gives it an 90's car magazine look.
03-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
mer

you can also push 400x to 800 or even 1600 for night photgraphy . all provia and velvia variants are great !
03-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You were obviously shooting the light, not just the cars. Very nice work!

03-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
--thanks for comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
hard to explain, gives it an 90's car magazine look.
i know what you mean, used to read lots of C/D and R&T when i was in high school:P

QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
you can also push 400x to 800 or even 1600 for night photgraphy . all provia and velvia variants are great !
that would be fun shooting a roll at 1600. but i think i really should test out the meter more carefully first, but i hate bracketing, it feels like a waste of film.
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Seriously, the film look rocks. I have shot a few rolls of Delta 400 lately. Wow, the look is impeccable

The great thing is that you did not have many people in the frames!
03-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love it!...There is something about the look of film that digital can't touch. As for the Fuji thing, who cares. At the end of the day, Its about photography. Atleast in the film section...