Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Small things amuse small minds

Ordinarily I carry my LX with the B grip attached. It's fantastic the way it perches on your fingertips with that small piece of black ... er ... whatever it is on board. But today I must have had too much time on my hands, because I removed the grip and put the lower half of the leather case on the camera for the first time in ages. Not a great design, the LX case - a bit awkward and ill-fitting, not a patch on the M-series cases. But man, it transforms the camera, giving it a real heft and bulk - too much for smaller hands maybe, but close to the perfect feel for me.

So I was wondering, does anybody else use their camera dressed up like this? Is it, well, a bit nerdy? I admit I've done it with my ME Super for years - saves having to get the light seals checked and replaced

03-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, a lot of the rangefinder set really love their 'half-cases,' which are essentially the bottom half of a 'never-ready,' as we called those. Using the *whole* case used to have this whole 'clueless tourist' stigma about it some number of years ago, but they've pretty much passed out of public consciousness in that way, I'd say.
03-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the original LX eveready case. It's made of buttery soft genuine leather.
Unfortunately the case cannot be used with the grip attached.

And with grip attached the neckstrap can't be used in the usual position.
Pentax really dropped the ball on these design points.

Pentax addressed the latter complaint by adding an additional lug on the LX2000 grip.
Now that's an accessory I'd like to have...

Chris
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got a couple of those eveready cases which came w/ the SuperProgram and MX cameras, and they still look great. But due to their ages, both have some deterioration, the edges feel kinda sticky Wonder if you guys feel the same, and how'd you deal w/ it? I'm thinking of pasting over another layer of cloth or something on the open edges ...

03-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The ME Super case doesn't screw into the tripod hole in the bottom of the camera, so there goes that one. It's snug, but meh...don't feel like losing it.

I do, however, use the bottom half (mated to the top for storage) on the Yashica GSN and Fuji ST801. The GSN's is nice for a few reasons...it didn't come with a front cap, it makes the cam heftier, and it's easy to slip on the top to protect the glass on the front for the rangefinder.
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
And with grip attached the neckstrap can't be used in the usual position.
Pentax really dropped the ball on these design points.

Chris
Actually, I prefer the 'unusual' LX strap position. The strap stays away from the shutter and speed dial that way. And it looks kind of cool. Don't use the strap now I have my Billingham though

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
The ME Super case doesn't screw into the tripod hole in the bottom of the camera, so there goes that one. It's snug, but meh...don't feel like losing it.
True, but it does hook securely over the strap lugs. Never fallen off in 25 years.
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Gotta get a strap for mine

I have one on a broken K1000 that says "For Pentax Cameras" but it has a fray on one side.

03-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

I can't remember the last time I didn't use the half-case method...probably when a winder or tripod was involved. I've always looked at it as an extra safety measure. And when I'm done with a camera the top half goes back on.

The worst case I have is an el cheapo aftermarket one purchased off eBay for something like $15, but I use it like all the others. Had to modify it with scissors and black tape for access to the K2's indicator lights and flash terminals, though, and I would've hated doing that to a genuine Pentax case.

I tried to fit a K1000 and a Spotmatic case to the K2 and in each case the tripod screws didn't align. Apparently the K2 screw is positioned just a little bit differently than on the other K cameras.

Brad
03-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've got the leather case for my "new" Super Program. And it is in MINTY MINT condition. It's so dang perfect I can't decide whether to use it, or just put it in a glass case for display.
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I've got a couple of those eveready cases which came w/ the SuperProgram and MX cameras, and they still look great. But due to their ages, both have some deterioration, the edges feel kinda sticky Wonder if you guys feel the same, and how'd you deal w/ it? I'm thinking of pasting over another layer of cloth or something on the open edges ...
Sounds like the plastic coating is disintegrating, some of the old naugahide stuff (or even if there's plastic piping on leather) will do that. (This was the fate of many old Canon cases, where the black skin will crack and/or flake off and expose the white substrate.

Is it the piping or the case material itself that's getting sticky?

By the way, while I think of it, I've never tried this, but you might look to your local *cobbler* to repair or replicate such a case, if you love it. They have the tools and skills and are often looking for jobs to do. (Just avoid too many polishes and make sure that anything chemically they may use has had a chance to evaporate well before closing up your optics with it. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-04-2009 at 02:56 PM.
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brand new Pentax brand eveready cases for many models are fairly common on eBay.

IMO backpacks and photo vests look ridiculous, but eveready cases are way cool!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-04-2009 at 03:58 PM.
03-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #12

The half-case makes the camera a bit quieter, too, damping the shutter noise.
03-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I won (on Ebay) a genuine Pentax NOS leather case for my ME Super a few years back; it looks very classy. I store the camera in the whole case and leave the front piece at home when I take it out for exercise.

If you are looking for a decent replacement strap try the Domke. I got mine from Freestyle Photographic Supplies . The M series cameras are pretty light to begin with and I didn't feel the need for a great wide 'guitar-type' strap.
03-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Sounds like the plastic coating is disintegrating, some of the old naugahide stuff (or even if there's plastic piping on leather) will do that. (This was the fate of many old Canon cases, where the black skin will crack and/or flake off and expose the white substrate.

Is it the piping or the case material itself that's getting sticky?

By the way, while I think of it, I've never tried this, but you might look to your local *cobbler* to repair or replicate such a case, if you love it. They have the tools and skills and are often looking for jobs to do. (Just avoid too many polishes and make sure that anything chemically they may use has had a chance to evaporate well before closing up your optics with it. )
Thanks for the suggestion

Actually the case doesn't seem to have been used much, but it's in pretty bad condition due to its age, as shown in the following photo:

It's at the open edge where it's sticky. Sometimes the sticky black residue would stick on to the camera body when I put the case on That's why I don't use it at all. Don't think I'd bother repairing or fixing this thing, I much prefer to hold and touch the metal camera body rather than the sticky case
03-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #15
Banned

I would imagine that most of the deterioration is due to the poor quality of vinyl used on these later cases. the early spotmatic and even pre-spotmatic leather cases can be commonly found in near brand new condition. the same goes for the lens cases. I have four or five spotmatic leather cases all in excellent condition, and I have the case for my ME F and it has nearly fallen apart and exhibits the same sticky stuff on the edges similar to that of deteriorated mirror foam on a camera body.