Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #6676
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kc.virginia Quote
Not sure why my one-year old loves lemons so much....

Pentax Spotmatic, Takumar SMC 55/1.8, Kodak Gold 200

Probably because he/she's so sweet.

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
I have to confess, I'm spending too much time looking at the images in this thread ...
Beautifully cached golden hour

And i't so true. The good side is that, when time allows, there's always this forum to help us preserve and share our precious images and moments.
I was going back though posts since 2009, and it's so much fun re-seeing those images that made me love these diminutive machines and the chemical process.

People use to ask me: "why do you spend all the money and time with film? Digital is fast and you instantly see the result. Often the images are clearer and can be zoomed in better."
Honestly, I don't really have an answer:
-perhaps it's the feeling I have when I use the film cameras.
-Or the fact that I know in the back of my mind, when I took a good picture.
-Can be also the statistical fact that one gets the same number of good images, independent of the total number of pictures taken.
-Or, maybe I just want to be different.
I just know this: Film makes me feel better.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I got my hair cut at my barber's in downtown Portland a few weeks ago and wandered through town a bit before catching the light rail back to the office. I had the Canon P mounted to the LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2 (LTM) with me and took a few photos along the way!
Steve, thank you for taking time and sharing these with us.
I remember the remark of one photographer (whose name I unfortunately forgot): "What is a picture? It's our way to trap a moment in time so it doesn't become wasted".

Thanks,
Octav

02-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #6677
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All photos scanned taken with Ferrania Solaris 100 and scanned on a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED in auto everything mode (1,000 dpi for proofs). Click through on the photos for more information about the subjects
Super results with the Canon-Jupiter-Ferrania-Nikon chain, delicious thick color... and I got hungry, and then wanted to dance
02-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #6678
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...and I got hungry, and then wanted to dance
Thanks for the strokes! The cool thing about the Ferrania is that the color balance and contrast, while somewhat strange, is also fairly mutable in PP. While you can't make it look like Ektar, you can make it more intensely "Ferrania" and manage the color cast without introducing artifact.

Steve
02-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #6679
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
...Steve, thank you for taking time and sharing these with us.
I remember the remark of one photographer (whose name I unfortunately forgot): "What is a picture? It's our way to trap a moment in time so it doesn't become wasted".
You are very welcome. I have a few theories about the creative process in photography. The above quote would be one bullet point. A few more:
  • Practice learning to "see" and perceive from the perspective of the camera
  • Actively apply the above as you experience the world...be open and observant
  • If at all possible, when "seen" don't let the moment pass without doing the capture

Steve

02-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #6680
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good points all around. I see two major streams: the Woody Allen (80% of success is showing up) method, where you shoot shoot shoot. The important part is where you select the shot to show. Come to think of it, this was how Robert Frank and Henri Cartier-Bresson did it. The other stream is to be ever more meticulous with setup and framing and staging and so on...
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #6681
Veteran Member

I was into photography / darkroom work pretty heavy in the early to late 70's, but got burnt out and sold all my Nikon / Hassy / Pentax 6x7 / 4 x 5 / darkroom gear by end of the decade.

In the early 80's i took a trip to Thailand and Sri Lanka. Lots of interesting things to photograph. (These are scans from 3 -1/2 x 5 prints.)

I was not going to even take a camera as I was traveling light with one small carry on bag. But decided at last minute to buy a Pentax K1000 for the trip after wife convinced me to take a few photos.

Amazing I took lots of good photos on one roll of 24 film and even had a few extra shots when I came home. Glad I took the camera! Now I take lots of digital, just bang them off left and right and few are good keepers.

In Sri Lanka they had a cold shower coming out of the roof and a drain on the cement floor. Served spicy lunch on banana leaves for plates for .63 cents. What you did not eat they took back and gave you credit....those were the days!

After that, I took a trip to So. America. Added a Sigma WA and decided to return to photography, albeit in a much smaller way than before.

Always remember...no matter how tough the traveling gets...we got it much better than the old timers!

...at least we got T.P.

Last edited by slackercruster; 02-09-2012 at 10:01 AM.
02-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #6682
Veteran Member

Northside Tattooz in Newcastle

Visiting my best mate... He had to work so I hung out at the shop he works at with my MZ-7

Attached Images

02-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #6683
Veteran Member

You are very welcome. I have a few theories about the creative process in photography. The above quote would be one bullet point. A few more:
  • Practice learning to "see" and perceive from the perspective of the camera
  • Actively apply the above as you experience the world...be open and observant
  • If at all possible, when "seen" don't let the moment pass without doing the capture
I think these fit me like a glove.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Good points all around. I see two major streams: the Woody Allen (80% of success is showing up) method, where you shoot shoot shoot. The important part is where you select the shot to show. Come to think of it, this was how Robert Frank and Henri Cartier-Bresson did it. The other stream is to be ever more meticulous with setup and framing and staging and so on...
Myself, I have to let go in lots of instances, especially in street photography. It's not so easy to stick a camera in front of everybody interesting I run into. Size of the camera helps, but it's still hard. I'm kinda' shy, too.
Sometimes I wonder Henri Cartier-Bresson would still be using a film camera these days or he would go digital. His concept was to be inconspicuous. Practically, everybody heard about him but nobody knew how he looked like.
Another point is that in those golden days of photography, the photographer was an important member of the community. Nobody minded having his picture taken by a complete stranger. In general, people were more kind and welcoming. One used to hope seing his picture in the newspaper.
These days, everybody takes pictures and videos. Phones, P&S, DSLR's. A huge attack upon the everybody's privacy is undergoing. You see it everywhere, and people (sometimes myself) regard the photographers as pests. I am ashamed about the current status, but I have to trap in time those moments. It's a form of addiction.

I did a small experiment last summer.
Held the camera at waist level, and pressed the trigger. Not happy with the results, mainly because the distance scale on the old 50/1,8 Cosina is off. This came out best:

See, not the best example of street photography.

Last edited by octavmandru; 02-09-2012 at 10:20 PM.
02-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #6684
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For the waist-level street shot without a WL finder, or other quick and innocuous methods, my favorite FL is around 35mm. The depth of field is excellent, and even guess-focus cameras like the little Olympus XA2 give great results. I've had four XAs, and for so many decades that I seem to see that FOV most easily without a finder. 40 works, too, but I find that at 50, focus starts to require a bit more of my attention.

I don't know who these folks are, but the symmetry of this waist-level XA2 shot worked for me.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-10-2012 at 01:40 AM.
02-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #6685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
I think these fit me like a glove.

Myself, I have to let go in lots of instances, especially in street photography. It's not so easy to stick a camera in front of everybody interesting I run into. Size of the camera helps, but it's still hard. I'm kinda' shy, too.
Sometimes I wonder Henri Cartier-Bresson would still be using a film camera these days or he would go digital. His concept was to be inconspicuous. Practically, everybody heard about him but nobody knew how he looked like.
Another point is that in those golden days of photography, the photographer was an important member of the community. Nobody minded having his picture taken by a complete stranger. In general, people were more kind and welcoming. One used to hope seing his picture in the newspaper.
These days, everybody takes pictures and videos. Phones, P&S, DSLR's. A huge attack upon the everybody's privacy is undergoing. You see it everywhere, and people (sometimes myself) regard the photographers as pests. I am ashamed about the current status, but I have to trap in time those moments. It's a form of addiction.

I did a small experiment last summer.
Held the camera at waist level, and pressed the trigger. Not happy with the results, mainly because the distance scale on the old 50/1,8 Cosina is off. This came out best:

See, not the best example of street photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
For the waist-level street shot without a WL finder, or other quick and innocuous methods, my favorite FL is around 35mm. The depth of field is excellent, and even guess-focus cameras like the little Olympus XA2 give great results. I've had four XAs, and for so many decades that I seem to see that FOV most easily without a finder. 40 works, too, but I find that at 50, focus starts to require a bit more of my attention.

I don't know who these folks are, but the symmetry of this waist-level XA2 shot worked for me.
Good shots!

I just sit/stand near people and hang around for awhile until they get used to me. Then I play around with my camera and quickly take their picture. These were taken with a K55/1.8. I pre-setup for a good DOF, so I just have to verify the meter.

Phil.
02-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #6686
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And the last shot from the roll of Ferrania Solaris 100...

Canon P, LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2.8 scanned on Nikon 5000 ED

Yes, you can do a decent landscape using cheap (and now rare) Italian film, and vintage rangefinder gear...

Steve
02-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #6687
Forum Member

Thanks, Octav, she really is a sweetie. She usually hides when the camera comes out these days though! Guess I take too many pictures....

Steve, saw that one on flickr - really pretty!

Love all the street shots and the tattoo ones are great - film seems like a nice touch for those.

Has anyone ever had film developed from mpix? They have mailers and a nice price (and I like their quality on digital things I've gotten from there) but I think they don't give negatives, just scans. Unless I'm reading their site wrong. Not so sure about that idea if the scans turn out bad.
02-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #6688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are my World Pentax Day shots from Feb 4th 2012 in foggy Steveston, B.C.

K1000SE using Fuji Sensia 100 slide film and medium resolution home made scans.

M35-70/2.8-3.5 Zoom:

M24-35/3.5 Zoom:

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 02-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.
02-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #6689
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Here are my World Pentax Day shots from Feb 4th 2012 in foggy Steveston, B.C. ...
Phil.
Very nice, Phil. I especially like the first one - seems like a stand-off - gulls versus the boats.
02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #6690
Veteran Member

I finally finished shooting the first roll throught my K1000 since Eric's CLA. I had an M35/2.8 mounted and it was loaded with FujiColor 200.

I think this was the best of the bunch. Although I regret not getting the shopkeeper's permission to temporarily remove the tags.
This is a crop of the mini-lab scan.